• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

FA Cup

If the panel thought excessive force wasn't used, then the red card was wrong. Therefore they overturn it.

It seems to be law that referees can do no wrong, if they make a decision that it.

It's a completely mad state of affairs for an employee. Utterly bonkers and entirely encourages corruption and incompetence.

But the referee decides what is excessive force, and that will of course vary from one referee to another. And that is always the problem when appealing on a red card where excessive force is deemed to have been used.

It seems to be law that referees can do no wrong, if they make a decision that it.

It's a completely mad state of affairs for an employee. Utterly bonkers and entirely encourages corruption and incompetence.

Many players have won appeals in recent years, though most of them have been where excessive force has been deemed to have been used when tackling an opponent. Any player who pushes an opponent is really asking for trouble, irrespective of how slight the push may be.

But the referee decides what is excessive force, and that will of course vary from one referee to another. And that is always the problem when appealing on a red card where excessive force is deemed to have been used.
That makes no difference. As a ruling body you live and die by the wording of your rules.

Excessive force = violent conduct = red card

They either agree with the ref or they don't. There's no interpretation of the rule for the panel to consider. That was purely the referee's choice. If the panel think it wasn't excessive force then they have to overturn it as it then isn't violent conduct or a red card.

In this case, the ruling points to to them agreeing with the ref as they didn't overturn his decision. But on the other hand, then to reduce the suspension indictates they DON'T agree with the referee. If they did, why would they reduce it? A bizarre decision.

It makes a big difference. The referee thought it was excessive force and sent Ikeme off. Wolves appealled and clearly the disciplinary panel found in Wolves favour, but how can they overturn the decision if the referee insisted, as I am sure he did, that in his opinion Ikeme used excessive force. All they can do is reduce the players suspension, which they have done.

I repeat that in my opinion this silly wording, "excessive force" is the problem.

How bloody hard is it to understand, Bear?

It is a subjective test. Therefore if the panel can find ONE reasonable person with the same qualifications as the referee involved who says "yeah, that could be viewed as excessive force" then that should be game over for any appeal on the interpretation of the challenge.

As soon as things are put to interpretation in this way by the wording of the law then there will always be wiggle room to ensure the FA can back their man. So they have reduced the ban. Frankly, they shouldn't have even done that.

First of all, there are no rules in football, they are all Laws.

The standard punishment for a red card involving excessive force, either for serious foul play or violent conduct, is a ban of three matches.
Obviously there are certain degrees of award from one match to multiple matches, and the panel decided that Ikeme's case warranted a two match ban.

I don't know why people are having a problem with this. If you appeal the red card and are successful, no award is made. If the red card stands then the panel decide the length of your award.

I may be wrong, but basically I think the disciplinary panel have agreed with Wolves, but if the referee insisted he felt excessive force was used then they were almost certain to accept that. The fact the suspension was reduced makes me think that had the panel had the option of overruling the original red card decision then they would have. They couldn't so they reduced the ban to two games. Whether or not the panel felt the Norwich player dived is irrelevant.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this, Frank. I also think that it needs to be recognized that no-one understands the politics of disciplinary committees and referees better than you do.

Williamson ruled out with a groin strain but Lonergan may be fit. To be honest even if Lonergan is fit I would go with Burgoyne, Lonergan will be on his way in the summer let's see what the boy can do.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Id have far more sympathy with Burgoyne freezing in the occasion than i would that banana footed fuckwit booting it to the feet of their best player in our own half.

After one game back, Williamson is injured again. I like him as a player, but I think he will rarely be fit. Which is why we need another centre back.

After one game back, Williamson is injured again. I like him as a player, but I think he will rarely be fit. Which is why we need another centre back.
He has a slight groin strain probably from the fact he was asked to play 90 rather than being cautious and taking him off earlier to protect.

perfectly normal for niggles like this when you are coming back, it has nothing to do with the original injury he should be fit for the Burton game.

I do think we still need another CB though, I can't see Stears being made permanent and we cant rely on the rest of the CB's we have.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this, Frank. I also think that it needs to be recognized that no-one understands the politics of disciplinary committees and referees better than you do.

Thank you sir. And believe me most disciplinary meetings are rather mundane. Though getting out on the pitch training new referees is very rewarding, especially when we see one of our own county referees make it to the very top.

And with Liverpool about to be knocked out of the EFL cup, that's probably bad news for us. Almost certain we can expect to face something resembling a first team on Saturday now.

Not sure about that, the Chelsea game is still way more important to them.

A chance to end there season on Saturday is a chance not to be sniffed at...

And with Liverpool about to be knocked out of the EFL cup, that's probably bad news for us. Almost certain we can expect to face something resembling a first team on Saturday now.

I doubt it. After tonight, and with Chelsea to come, I expect Liverpool to play a mainly reserve side against Wolves.

If we lose Cyber will tell us we've played them back into form

Back