• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

FA Cup Semi-Final: Watford 3-2 Wolves Verdict Thread

Have kept off here as had nothing to say except expletives till now, but have had a nights sleep & can be a bit more rational.

There was singing - block 118 was loud with a couple of blokes almost orchestrating & geeing us up at times, but clearly those who are prepared to sing were much more spread out than they would usually be. This whole block stood for all of the game as well (including me falling down & getting a bloodied left forearm at one point).

The subs did change things as we did not have enough of an outlet up front to hold it there & attack (mistake by Nuno?, who has been a godsend this season or insufficient bench quality)which gave them the chance to put pressure on our backline & once they got 1 goal back were always going to be pushing for that equaliser. Their subs, particularly Delofeu, made a massive difference - good goal & am now undecided whether Ruddy could have saved that as it looked as if his weight was on the wrong foot to get to it. For the penalty he was not far off - went the right way, but slightly early (or the shot was straighter than he expected) & it went just behind his hand.

Leander will learn that in the last min of extra time when leading do not try & tackle in the box - there is always a risk of getting it wrong & giving up a penalty. Momentum finally completely went out of us & could only see one winner then.

In reality this season has still been phenominal - riding as high as we could (& higher than many would have expected) in the PL & got within less than a minute of the FA Cup Final. We are all feeling down right now, but this is still a success story.

(PS - Watford will not win the FA Cup anyway)

We went in one post match called "The Blue Check" it made the Double 6 look like a high end cocktail bar, it's worse than the Boy and Barrel in Huddersfield.... It's the worst place I've ever been in!

As for pricing all the bars were 6 quid a pint, except the Blue Check which was 5. It was worth paying the extra quid a pint to be elsewhere

That must have been dire if you are comparing the Double 6 to a cocktail bar then - only came across Paddy on the way out (& Wembley is a pain to get away from) so was in there with him, but none of us were feeling festive so called it a day fairly quickly & left.

(PS was good to meet Visage, Jinky & broughtonwolf for the first time & Sniffer for the second)

I turned on my computer this morning and then turned it straight off again, too soon after yesterday.
But in Hindsight.
1. whilst i thought the mask celebration was a laugh at the very moment, i thought that if i was a Watfrod player i would have been extra angry and felt it was taking the piss. For me it is the first and last time for that, much as i love Raul.
2. We are shit at sitting so far back and holding a lead, Man U and Chelsea to name but two.
Neves , Diogo and Moutinho substituted was surely one to many.
3.Looking for someone to blame by many wolves fans (especially on the Ex & star two minutes after the game) is for me the sign of a prawn sandwich supporter, wether they have a season ticket or not. Just look where we were three or four seasons ago, FFS your only trip to Wembley would have been passing it by on the tube on your way to Madame Tussauds.
4. So maybe Nuno got it wrong, hanging on from too early, but frankly as the commentary was saying he was screaming at his players to get further out, maybe the lads did actually see the final before they should have even been looking.
5. But fuck me, i had a little party in my house alone yesterday, food and drink, the comms on early to soak up the atmosphere, and with ten minutes to go was like a dog with two cocks, but this is football, and whatever you say about individual players it is a game of psychology, Watfords' got a boost with their first goal, ours hit rock bottom.
6. I am still so proud of Fosun, Nuno and this team, and whatever the season offers up at the end, fuck me, am i a lucky old bastard to see and feel for this side as i did so many years ago., Never thought i would be so proud of a wolves side second time around, but i really really am.

Our train down was fine. The train back was diabolical, seriously overcrowded with people being squashed against doors face first, I couldn't move my arms to get my phone or anything out of my pocket. A young lad in our party feinted and fitted and was being sick, another friend had to ask someone to stand so he could sit down before he went too.

Got back into Kiddi at 11.10.

The only slightly entertaining part was a mate of my uncle, Malc from Stourbridge was on there with my cousin and his banter was amusing people in a bleak situation

One was for a coming together of heads between Deulofeu(sp?) and Moutinho. The other was for a Jiminez challenge where they thought that he may have gone over the top.

Gutted still this morning. Can I just say a big thanks to the community on here who helped each other out with tickets. I won't name the names of who helped me but thank you, it was a cracking day out until about 5.35pm.
You're welcome ;)

I really don't understand why people would think a goal celebration like that is disrespectful to Watford or their players. It's a Wolves wrestling mask for a bit of fun, he stood with his own players and he didn't run in front of fans giving it the big one or anything.

It's just baffling how you could find that offensive.

And the fact they have won the game and made a big deal about it. It should surely be low down on their list of things they went to talk about after their comeback and win.

I know Deeney was asked the question about the mask but it was very unnecessary for him to make those comments.

And that Albion twat Foster with his Wo1ve5 tweet. And Luther fucking Blissett, 'if he (Raul) wants to be a cartoon character he should change career.

I really hope (doubt we will) show them at their place and Saiss takes one for the team on Deeney

Meh. Not sure anyone was offended. But if you go large on a celebration and then lose, it's not surprising that someone calls you out on it, albeit in slightly graceless manner.

If we had defended a few yards further forward, the penalty becomes a free kick outside the box. It is natural to defend deep when protecting a lead late in the game, pretty much every team does it - and that’s when you need a leader to see it and do something about it. Very fine margins, see out injury time and we are talking about a backs to the wall end to the game with brave defending and looking forward to an FA Cup final. Very fine margins, Cav scores 9 times out of 10, Doherty doesn’t control the ball like a trampoline or tries to pass rather than shoot when in behind their defence.

Wembley isn’t a patch on the Millenium stadium. It’s great for extortionately priced food and drink, plenty of space in your seat and sight lines that are unrivalled...but the noise gets lost too easily. I was really disappointed. Can’t wait until we get back there next year.

On the positive side, my mate’s 2-1 at 90 minutes paid out and we had a great night out in Wembley after the game.

Meh. Not sure anyone was offended. But if you go large on a celebration and then lose, it's not surprising that someone calls you out on it, albeit in slightly graceless manner.
That's just it though. He didn't go large. He just did something different.

just made myself watch the highlights, and frankly with a bit of luck and a few centimetres either way we had that won in the first half. just not our day.
My comment about the mask was that if i had been a player in a semi final at wembley who had just conceded i would have been well pissed off at the mask celebration. ok take your shirt off, wear a t shirt underneath with a message, but for me as an apponent that was just a bit too much taking the piss.
To many gimmicks already in football.

That's just it though. He didn't go large. He just did something different.

I agree, but I also don't think Deeney's response is worth getting worked up about. As an opposing fan or player, you'd be entitled to think Raul was being a twat and enjoy telling him so after overturning a 2-0 lead. I have no doubt a lot of us would have relished doing so if the situations were reversed.

I agree, but I also don't think Deeney's response is worth getting worked up about. As an opposing fan or player, you'd be entitled to think Raul was being a twat and enjoy telling him so after overturning a 2-0 lead. I have no doubt a lot of us would have relished doing so if the situations were reversed.

If we had held on for a 2 - 1 win then Deeney was not likely to be asked that question, but Jiminez had no way of knowing the outcome when he did it - not sure that it was any more outrageous than other celebrations. Not worth getting upset over from either side.

Don't think it was all that tbh, just a fun celebration. He didn't goad or gloat over anyone, put the mask on and just stood there.

Should have seen some other of his celebrations.

tenor.gif

Raul_5.gif

Just wondering how those 2 Watford supporters were able to take those drums into the ground. Thought you bought a ticket and got a seat ? is the a special area set aside for this particular activity ?

Just wondering how those 2 Watford supporters were able to take those drums into the ground. Thought you bought a ticket and got a seat ? is the a special area set aside for this particular activity ?

Think Watford made it clear, when buying tickets, that the central area would be a singing section and it seemed to work.

Rauls Mask celebration or that little twat celebrating, on purpose, infront of us....hmmm i know which one id be more offended by.

Was around 118 and a group were trying to get support started when losing but it was a fruitless task.

Have tried to watch the extended highlights, though couldn't get to the end as I know the outcome.

Changed my opinion on Delefeu's first goal, really don't think that Ruddy could have got to that & need to celebrate a quality finish.

Penalty was unecessary. Just stand and defend the space in that circumstance, really don't try to tackle inside the box in the last minute - even if the Watford player had got to the ball he would have been going away from the goal.

Dendoncker pulls out of that challenge and we are going back in May. Fine margins indeed. Still feel very downbeat about the whole thing. Ah well.

Back