• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Everton (H) Build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we will play better as a side without Traore. For a lot of the season we've become too reliant on him. Even in games when he's not on the pitch we manage it waiting for him to come on and do some magic. I think he makes us too one dimensional. That's not a dig at him, it's a back handed compliment, but I predict you'll see a more balanced team approach today and I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a first half goal. If it happens I will be back to lord it over the rest of the forum at 2pm

In many ways I agree with this. I love Adama, and I'll be sorry to see him go, but would I take £80m and spend £40m on Saint-Maximin or that Kosovan lad we've been linked with? I probably would, because right now we are becoming too reliant on one player. So quite happy to see Neto/Raul/Podence today: all players with proper numbers as well...

I don’t think we should look to sell as he is a game changer and he is actually improving in terms of his contribution to the team (As have seen This season obviously). I think more time with Nuno will actually benefit him, his movement has improved a lot and there’s still more to come in that department I think. But if we did get a monster bid (like 70/80m) I wouldn’t begrudge him the move nor would I be devastated.

I still think we signed Podence as first replacement for Adama if he goes. I would like us to keep him as he is by far and away the most exciting player I’ve seen at Wolves - but if we get an offer of £80m+ he will go. Have a sneaking suspicion it won’t be a PL club.

This is exactly what grinds my gears. We have not been excellent all season. We have had a good season. We have been excellent AWAY from home all season but our home form needs to improve. 5 of our six home wins are against West Ham Bournemouth Norwich Watford and Villa. Our only anomaly was a remarkable comeback from 2 down against Man City who did have 10 men. The draws at home and the stale first halfs are things I would like to see improved. I totally accept this is the best collection of players and coaches at the club for eons but refuse to wear rose tinted specs and not look at areas we can and should be doing better in. Starting today please. We have had our blip.

No team barring Liverpool have been excellent all season.
We have been in the best 5 teams all season results have shown that.

I got some right
Liverpool to win
arsenal out the top 6
Leicester in the top 6

Got some wrong
Solskjar to be sacked by xmas, Utd out the top 6
Chelsea out the top 6
Wolves in the top 6

More recently really dreamt of CL qualification unfortunately 2 defeats to utd, and Arsenal have fucked that dream.

Its been a great season tinged with some dissapointment that we did not stay in the race for 3rd.

Hopefully we can beat the league position and points from last season.

We are stronger on the bench now, and hopefully can upgrade on Saiss, Doc, and Jonny then mount a stronger assault on 3rd to 5th.

Understanding the feeling on a sale for Traore but my only condition would be a move overseas. I don't want him going to a top 4/6 side and tearing it up for them.

I'd happily sell Traore,I have the feeling of he's a one season wonder sort of deluxe Costa,on the other hand happy to have him stay if the form continues next season,if only we had a rubbish mystic on here who could tell us

I think we will play better as a side without Traore. For a lot of the season we've become too reliant on him. Even in games when he's not on the pitch we manage it waiting for him to come on and do some magic. I think he makes us too one dimensional. That's not a dig at him, it's a back handed compliment, but I predict you'll see a more balanced team approach today and I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a first half goal. If it happens I will be back to lord it over the rest of the forum at 2pm

Shit. I've agreed with something Tony Towner has posted !

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes

The dead rising from the grave!

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

I'd prefer to keep Traore (in fact all our current squad) and add some more quality in certain areas. Obviously thats going to be tricky. Suspect Traores price tag plus this recurring shoulder problem may put potential buyers off anyway

Got some wrong
Solskjar to be sacked by xmas, Utd out the top 6

I know that this is the Everton thread so please forgive me on responding to this point

OGS and Man U were nearly on the Bones of their arse pre-Christmas and other than a few standard results for them mixed with some VAR decisions your prediction would have been right

One quality signing in Fernandez and Pogba having a word with himself and knuckling down after the penny dropping that many top teams won’t touch him with a shitty stick has eventually galvanised them as a team, add the fact that post lockdown the kid Greenwood looks like a worldbeater and they have found a mix and blend of football that will push them into CL contention.

OGS is a poor manager at this level and totally out of his depth but sometimes you need that chunk of luck and Man U have had it in abundance

I'd go

Patrício

Boly Coady Saïss

Jonny Dendoncker Neves Moutinho Vinagre

Raúl Jota

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

I agree we're better balanced without Traore but he's dug us out of some holes this season, especially early on. Personally still think he's better as an impact sub than a starter

Traore has masked how un-creative we are at times. Last season we thrived off Jota and Raul creating magic, a midfield 3 of Neves, Moutinho and Donk are all individually excellent but just don’t cut it as a creative central midfield - you end up with a yawning chasm between CM and the front. Last season we weren’t as respected so there was more time and space for the front 2 to exploit - take that away (as Huddersfield did) and we looked short of ideas.

I'd go

Patrício

Boly Coady Saïss

Jonny Dendoncker Neves Moutinho Vinagre

Raúl Jota

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Respect your opinion but personally feel that we must attack more as we're at home. So I would go 3-4-3 with the usual back 5 and mid 2 and play Jota, Jiminez and Neto up front, and have Traore, Podence, MGW and Dendonker on the bench to bring on later in the game.

If Neto’s fit, I have a feeling that he’ll start him on the left of the front three today - wouldn’t be surprised to see Podence there either.

I think Jota will be replaced today - he was terrible v Sheff Utd and hasn’t really been that great for most of this season, really.

If Neto’s fit, I have a feeling that he’ll start him on the left of the front three today - wouldn’t be surprised to see Podence there either.

I think Jota will be replaced today - he was terrible v Sheff Utd and hasn’t really been that great for most of this season, really.

He wasn't terrible. I think Jota needs to be playing he's contributed 15 goals this season and we can't really afford to have that kind of goal output not playing.

Traore has masked how un-creative we are at times. Last season we thrived off Jota and Raul creating magic, a midfield 3 of Neves, Moutinho and Donk are all individually excellent but just don’t cut it as a creative central midfield - you end up with a yawning chasm between CM and the front. Last season we weren’t as respected so there was more time and space for the front 2 to exploit - take that away (as Huddersfield did) and we looked short of ideas.

This is it. It’s not that they are not creative as players though, it’s that they are in positions which they can’t be creative. As you say, in 3-5-2 it was counter to those 2 and let them do something.

In 3-4-3, We have the 3 up front, but they play wide and then end up in a situation where they are crossing to two players, whilst the midfield 2 are 40 yards out so rarely in a position to score a cut back, rebound or long shot. The WBs don’t really provide the width, and even if they do, the winger is normally standing next to them, meaning again there’s only 2 in the box.

Playing two of Jota/Neto/Podence May lead to more combination between the front 3 and therefore more chance creation, with the WBs offering the outside threat. Look at Liverpool (I know they have better players), their front 3 are always within the width of the area. And if they do end up out wide, they normally cut in or get round into the area.

The way we play, we don’t tend to get players into the area. It’s been the case since we got promoted really. If we want to progress we are going to have to start doing that and take more risks. This will as YW says, take the chance element out from the 0-0, 1-0 and 1-1 going either way.

This - we are an excellent defensive and organised side - but we’re reliant on individual brilliance to get goals when the wing backs aren’t firing. If we didn’t have adama this season, we wouldn’t have suddenly turned into an amazing team, we would have turned into a an excellent defensive and organised side that scored a lot less goals.

My hope is that upgrading Saiss and Donk this summer will allow us to loosen the reigns a bit, still be organised and excellent defensively, but attack more effectively.

Even when Jota has a poor game and I agree he's been below his normal standard since lockdown he's the one that at least stretches teams by running in behind. Raul and Traore (when wide) don't do that. So if you aren't playing him you need someone else who is doing that job. That's not really Neto's game and I've not seen enough of Podence to comment on him

Each to his own opinion, but I disagree with this, and thought Jota ran at their defence well and created quite a few chances. The one run would have been a prospective 1 on 1 with their goalie but he was unceremoniously pulled down on the edge of the area.

So I don't think he will be replaced today and hope he will get back to scoring. Diogoals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back