• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2016 Qualifiers - The Road to France

The transliteration of ð is "d", FYI ;) #linguisticstalk
Isn't it pronounced like a "th" tho?

I've always thought transliterating it to a "d" is a bit misleading.

I don't make the rules.

You transliterate "ö" as "oe" but that doesn't mean "Goetze" is pronounced how you'd expect it to be if it were an English name. "Sigurthsson" is just wrong, phonetics and transliteration are not the same thing.

I don't make the rules.

You transliterate "ö" as "oe" but that doesn't mean "Goetze" is pronounced how you'd expect it to be if it were an English name. "Sigurthsson" is just wrong.

I'm sure I saw several Scandinavian Journos writing it as Sigurtharson when we first signed BBS.

I hear you, I just think it's silly for transliterations to not carry their proper pronunciations with them.

I'm sure I saw several Scandinavian Journos writing it as Sigurtharson when we first signed BBS.

That would be right if he were Björn Sigurþarson.

He's not as good sitting deep as Ki or Cork and he's not as good as Sigurthsson in an advanced role.

Shelvey is a better all rounder than any of the other three.

Cork is the best defensively but never going to do all that much with the ball, Ki is great for ball retention but he's never really going to hurt teams too much then you've got Sigurdsson's strength going forward and supporting the forward.

Shelvey is probably second best in each of those categories, still a bit reckless in the tackle sometimes but still does more than Ki or Gylfi in that respect, he's not always the safe and steady retainer of the ball like Ki but better with the ball than Cork and safer than Sigurdssson, then even from a deeper position he's certainly the 2nd biggest goal threat in that midfield. He gives their midfield a bit of everything, some bite in the tackle, a bit of unpredictability on the ball and as he's maturing he can also be the steady pair of hands their brand of football requires.

He's been a very good signing for Swansea and has been continually getting better for them too.

I hear you, I just think it's silly for transliterations to not carry their proper pronunciations with them.

Lots of linguistics doesn't make any practical sense. Sadly making up your own more practical rules isn't possible. If it were then my life would be much easier.

Lots of linguistics doesn't make any practical sense. Sadly making up your own more practical rules isn't possible. If it were then my life would be much easier.
That's why I stopped studying it! [emoji6]

It's been doing my head in too Alan. th in there just sounds wrong.

Ireland's team tonight is full of players not getting a kick at club level.

ITV4 has Portugal vs Denmark for those without Sky and Clattengerg and his team are officiating

Dunno what game to watch, started with Scotland hoping for a hatful from Lewandoski, oh hang on.

Scotland trail 1-0, Lewandoski!

Faroe Islands lead in Hungary which is good news for Northern Ireland

Scotland have made a right bollocks of it since the summer. They looked nailed on for 3rd at least when they got a draw in Dublin.

Northern Ireland lead 1-0 vs Greece...Nearly there
Steven Davis doen't score for an age and now has two goals in two games

Germany really disappointing so far, Ireland pretty much camped in their own box but the Germans just keep going down the outside and throwing in the box, not really doing anything to try and draw the Irish out then break them down.

Back