• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2016 Qualifiers - The Road to France

Seriously?

And how do you think the media would have reacted had he taken Rooney off?

Cobblers to the media, its more important for Roy to nail his 4-3-3 and Rooney in a front three doesn't offer enough speed and mobility.
Having lost Delph to injury I was surprised he would substitute another midfield player so soon, especially a player in Shelvey who needs as many minutes at International level as possible to help him make the transition into the full national side. I just thought Kane for Rooney looked the smart play to enable the system to develop and hopefully gain the newcomers vital experience.
The agenda was set though the FA and Wembley crowd were expecting a new goalscoring record and I thought Roy caved in to those demands.

That is naive. Yes it was all set up to be a Rooney love-in. Of course it was, I accept that without question.

However, had Roy gone down your route the red-tops would have absolutely crucified him this morning, in the same way as they crucified Taylor for taking Lineker off when on 48 goals.

That is naive. Yes it was all set up to be a Rooney love-in. Of course it was, I accept that without question.

However, had Roy gone down your route the red-tops would have absolutely crucified him this morning, in the same way as they crucified Taylor for taking Lineker off when on 48 goals.

Thats the value of offering him a new contract at the correct time, without it he has to think more about his own position rather than team development.

Seems churlish to criticise the manager for making a change which actually worked. Shelvey didn't have a very good game. There are going to be occasions we want or need more than one striker on the pitch, Kane is making his own case for a regular start and although I'm not his biggest fan, most people would want Sturridge in the team in the brief periods when he isn't injured.

Seems churlish to criticise the manager for making a change which actually worked. Shelvey didn't have a very good game. There are going to be occasions we want or need more than one striker on the pitch, Kane is making his own case for a regular start and although I'm not his biggest fan, most people would want Sturridge in the team in the brief periods when he isn't injured.

The problem is, when will Sturridge be fit?

Liverpool seem to think at some point this month but you can't have any faith in him staying fit for any length of time. As I said last night, he has everything to prove anyway. He's been pretty awful for England, so wasteful.

I thought Shelvey did ok he was using the ball early and without complication, and it was a little harsh for the manager to withdraw him as new internationals require, minutes on the pitch, time and patience. I feel the more minutes the whole team play 4-3-3 the more likely they understand it come the summer tournament.

Last I read, Sturridge was supposed to be fit for the next game after the international break.

As in Saturday vs Man Utd? Not going to happen.

Bold, really, I saw it as a cowardly substitution by Roy who bottled out of taking Rooney off for Kane because it didn't suit the nights agenda.

Seeing as Kane scored and then Rooney did I believe Roy made the right call, do you not think?

I thought Shelvey did ok he was using the ball early and without complication, and it was a little harsh for the manager to withdraw him as new internationals require, minutes on the pitch, time and patience. I feel the more minutes the whole team play 4-3-3 the more likely they understand it come the summer tournament.

Shelvey was garbage last night, out of position, slow on the ball and dithering in his decision making. International non-game it may have been but if a player has a stinker and a side was as impotent as England the change was the only option. I don't know when managers will learn that narrow 4-3-3's don't work. It doesn't for England and it doesn't for Wolves, crap ideology foisted on players that are better with space than in tight technical areas. People need to let their blinkered ideologies go.

Shelvey is not even close to international, Hell, he shouldn't even be in Swansea's XI.

That's nonsense Alan, he's been superb for Swansea. He was poor but ididn't think he was as bad as you make out against Switzerland Johnny. I'd much rather see him there than Milner, who I really don't see the clamour for as a centre midfielder. And at least Shelvey has room to grow as a footballer. It's games like last night that will make him a better footballer

I rate shelvey, had him last year in ptg, has lots of potential..apparently roy has opened his eyes this year too.. ;)

That's nonsense Alan, he's been superb for Swansea. He was poor but ididn't think he was as bad as you make out against Switzerland Johnny. I'd much rather see him there than Milner, who I really don't see the clamour for as a centre midfielder. And at least Shelvey has room to grow as a footballer. It's games like last night that will make him a better footballer

I agree with your last 3 sentences. For me he just had a stinker last night and he's a much better player than that.

I don't particularly rate Hodgson as a manager but he was spot on in taking him off.

Milner is there at the moment instead of Henderson, surely. Which I'd much rather have as a permanent situation given that Henderson has never really had a single good game for England, he plays in a white shirt like he did in his first 18 months at Liverpool, there's been no improvement at all despite opportunity after opportunity.

Shelvey is competing with Wilshere, Delph, Barkley and Lallana, two spots there up for grabs. One realistically if Wilshere is fit.

He's not as good sitting deep as Ki or Cork and he's not as good as Sigurthsson in an advanced role.

He's not as good sitting deep as Ki or Cork and he's not as good as Sigurthsson in an advanced role.

The transliteration of ð is "d", FYI ;) #linguisticstalk

Back