• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

England "Fans"

Yet there was mass brawling at Epson and probably will be at Ascot again.

I saw fighting at York races yesterday too.

Rugby teams on tour are terrible.

I think the idea for Euro 2020 isn't such a bad idea, host cities many miles apart and security services in each only having to concentrate on policing 3 games as oppose to 51.
Far less risk of clashes when travelling to and from host cities.

Bloody hell, Paddy, I've heard plenty of stories from Rugby lads about their tours.

Two were speaking about it just last week, pinching bar stools, smashing up clubhouses, etc.

I've been to tournaments with England [football] and was at the abandoned game in Dublin and yes, England do still have a fair few idiots. They also have thousands of good, innocent fans that get tarnished and tarred at the same time.

I've seen 6 Nations rugby at every venue, including both in France and the atmosphere and hatred towards England in Cardiff is terrible. Again it's not everybody and I've not seen violence, only intimidation, but it's a significant number involved - especially those who are in the pubs and don't actually go to the game.

I've seen numerous examples over the years of Rugby lads acting like complete knobheads. Stripping naked in pubs, playing pool and chalking their knobs everytime they chalked the cue, pissing in pint pots etc. Violence - not really, offensive,obnoxious,anti social behavior absolutely.

I think all decent English football fans accept we still have our fair share of idiots that either look for trouble or react to it if it’s there. I haven't seen a single comment that disagrees with this, but for those who have experienced England away games there is also a common annoyance at the way the incidents are reported and how the English fans are blamed immediately, only for the truth to come out further down the line without the headlines. I stopped going [to England away games] after Dublin for many years, mainly because of the way I was treated, at and after (by insinuation) the event.

Unfortunately the Welsh, Scottish and Irish also have their own idiots, but this is rarely recognised by the rest of their support or the mass media in general.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-police-chief-lambasts-tooled-up-russian-fans

The view from the UK police chief who is in charge of our Euro 2016 operation.

Seems to echo the general views of those who were there who have been posting on social media - England fans aren't blameless but appear to be in the minority of those who have gone looking for trouble. And some of that is down to the Russian authorities not cracking down on the perpetrators by banning them, as has happened with plenty of England 'fans'.

I just hope this is as bad as it gets, and such scenes aren't reported anywhere else in the tournament. As the author says

The situation in Marseille was probably unique. There has never been such a toxic mix in terms of football violence

Which has been suggested both on here and on social media as well. Fuck knows what will happen in 2 years but it won't be pretty.

A bloodbath and a cauldron of racism and homophobia awaits in 2018 and a country wholly unsuited to hosting the tournament - not to mention the various reports of human rights/workers issues - to the extent that they're reshaping the whole footballing calendar to fit them in awaiting in 2022. Nice work, Sepp.

Last night England fans were attached by 70 Marseille Ultras and the video I've seen tonight looks like the pub has been petrol bombed, which I'd be surprised if they've petrol bombed themselves.

Yes, I'm sure there are some English looking for trouble, but there are also a lot of innocent English that get attacked and try to defend themselves.
Immigrant minorities being targetted eh?

If UEFA sent Russia home or banned them from future competition would Gazprom then retaliate by withdrawing its multi million sponsorship of UEFA competitions. It ain't going to happen bribery rules.

Seems to echo the general views of those who were there who have been posting on social media - England fans aren't blameless but appear to be in the minority of those who have gone looking for trouble. And some of that is down to the Russian authorities not cracking down on the perpetrators by banning them, as has happened with plenty of England 'fans'.

I just hope this is as bad as it gets, and such scenes aren't reported anywhere else in the tournament. As the author says

Which has been suggested both on here and on social media as well. $#@! knows what will happen in 2 years but it won't be pretty.

A bloodbath and a cauldron of racism and homophobia awaits in 2018 and a country wholly unsuited to hosting the tournament - not to mention the various reports of human rights/workers issues - to the extent that they're reshaping the whole footballing calendar to fit them in awaiting in 2022. Nice work, Sepp.

i'm sure he's been well paid for it.

It took a while to open up for me but it got there in the end, didn't need a subscription.

Seems a fairly reasonable view on it, England fans may no longer be the aggressors but there are still more than enough of them acting like cunts which draws the attention of others who may be more active in their pursuit of trouble.

Finally the French press seem to be looking a bit harder at what happened:
lemonde.fr

It's in French but I think it's pretty accurate. Basically it says scuffles with the English was expected and not out of control. It was the Russians that took things to a whole new level.

Police fear 150 'ultra-violent' Russian hooligans are set to ambush England fans in Lille

News reports

Back