• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Diving/Cheating. Ok for Wolves to do?

I was just about to post this!

Kenny, have you ever tried to pull your upper body back out of the way of contact, whilst having BOTH your legs (sort of) behind you? You've got to have one leg forward of you to push back against, and it was that leg that Dicko made contact with.'Its not as if the defender has stepped back is it. He has gone forward and put his leg out.

yes and that leg going forward causes the foul. He may well have been trying to pull out of a potential challenge, but he didn't do it properly. Oh and he wouldn't have to put his legs "sort of" behind himself. He was hardly moving at the point he put his leg left out (and right leg in, OHH....I'll stop) he really gave the ref no option whatsoever.

WH....Get a couple of friends to help you with this one.

Run in one direction then turn sharply to your left to avoid friend number one who has just tried to break your ankle with an out of control lunge. Then as you approach friend number turn quickly to your right. Ask friend number two to lift his left knee into your left knee as you run passed him and I think you will find that falling down is fairly easy :run: :icon_lol:

Roy is 75 years old though, walking on a windy day he will find falling down is fairly easy........

I was just about to post this!

Kenny, have you ever tried to pull your upper body back out of the way of contact, whilst having BOTH your legs (sort of) behind you? You've got to have one leg forward of you to push back against, and it was that leg that Dicko made contact with.'Its not as if the defender has stepped back is it. He has gone forward and put his leg out.

As a technical thing, (FRANK!!) I don't see it as a foul. Surely this is a simple case of obstruction?
Isn't it this type of foul that makes the hackles rise when a seasoned athlete falls over at minimal contact so hated?
It was just obstruction.
And could I say FRank, that obstruction in the box these days is a very rare thing indeed.

Paddy, this is a decent conversation which has half the forum split.
If it's boring you, try not to click on it...

Roy, it could not be obstruction. The player did not obstruct Dicko. The referee could only award a penalty once he decided it was a foul.

On this point. From the ref's view point, he would have seen the leg which Dicko went over. He was kind of around the "D" of the penalty area when it happened and no one was blocking his view of the defender who committed the foul

He did look to be in a good position. I just wondered whether the Wednesday defender was obscuring his view of Dicko. The assistant would have had a perfect view.

Where have I said it was boring me? By the rules of the game it simply is a penalty so there is very little to debate. That's all.

He did look to be in a good position. I just wondered whether the Wednesday defender was obscuring his view of Dicko. The assistant would have had a perfect view.

The assistant may not have had. Not sure how quickly the 1st defender got up after flying in, he may have blocked his view. The ref wouldn't have been able to see Dicko fully as he went in front of him but he would have seen Dicko go over the leg

I also don't think there is a "50/50 split" on this. I would say more on here believe it was a penalty than don't. Forget about "looking at where the player is looking", anyone who watches those highlights will clearly see the defender lift his left leg slightly and catch Dicko. By the Laws of the Game he has stopped Dicko from progressing and it is a Penalty, end of.
Thinking that Dicko "bought" this decision and "could" of stayed on his feet is not in the Referees mind when he blows for the foul, a referee who was in a brilliant position despite the speed with which Wolves broke away and full credit to him for his fitness... Contact is contact

The assistant may not have had. Not sure how quickly the 1st defender got up after flying in, he may have blocked his view. The ref wouldn't have been able to see Dicko fully as he went in front of him but he would have seen Dicko go over the leg

Do you think there was ever a possibility that the referee may have awarded Wednesday a free kick and cautioned Dicko for simulation?

Do you think there was ever a possibility that the referee may have awarded Wednesday a free kick and cautioned Dicko for simulation?

When it happened it looked like a penalty from my view and i would have been fooked off if the ref had done that. He actually took a few seconds before awarding it as well, so he did consider what he had seen before pointing at the spot.

I honestly don't on this one frank. There was contact and the referee saw that as a foul. Therefore under the current rules of the game he has played it right. I also think it is very difficult to conclusively state that dicko instigated the contact. He certainly hasn't dragged a leg like for example we have seen Diego Costa do. That sort of thing is frustrating but I don't believe that dicko was in the wrong at all here. It was clumsy by the Sheffield player and dicko made sure he got the penalty which is fair enough for me.

Just showed the highlights to a few lads at work. The reaction from the neutrals, Barnsley, Derby and Liverpools fans, was bursting out in laughter before slating Dicko.

Do you think the penalty should have been awarded?

I think the referee probably got it right, but equally, I would not have been surprised had he not given the penalty.

So yes I think it was the correct decision.

Just showed the highlights to a few lads at work. The reaction from the neutrals, Barnsley, Derby and Liverpools fans, was bursting out in laughter before slating Dicko.

Is this you actually agreeing with the majority? Wowzers.

Roy is 75 years old though, walking on a windy day he will find falling down is fairly easy........

Excuse me!!
I'm only 73 and my waist size for those who've never seen me is also 73. I'm 22 stone and I DON'T blow over easy!

Back