• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

Likewise, I need it to be easy access as it's an emergency fund - and the rates for those are shit.
you need to look harder mate. ford money have an easy access account paying 4.5%, still not brilliant, but a fair amount better than what it sounds like you can see? That isn't a market leading rate either.

you need to look harder mate. ford money have an easy access account paying 4.5%, still not brilliant, but a fair amount better than what it sounds like you can see? That isn't a market leading rate either.
To be fair it's been around 6 weeks since I looked. Using Monzo at the moment.

Will have a look around again.

Literally just got a text from Monzo saying it's increased to 4% at least they don't mess about even if they are lagging a bit.

I'm starting to sound like my parents, spluttering with shock at the prices of a packet of crisps being over a quid and the like.
Packet of Bacon flavour crisps €2.75 for 45 grams - Get to fuck!
Almost more expensive than gold!
Well, may be not, but you know.....

Possibly a silly question but the Government can take money out of the economy by way of interest rate rises or by tax rises. I know that it is politically suicidal to push up taxes but that aside why is it not done? As it stands the banks are making money out of this situation and the government gains nothing and loses out on interest payments themselves. Putting up taxes would also ensure that its not just borrowers paying the price of the economic situation and the government would gain through the extra income and reduced borrowing costs.

Possibly a silly question but the Government can take money out of the economy by way of interest rate rises or by tax rises. I know that it is politically suicidal to push up taxes but that aside why is it not done? As it stands the banks are making money out of this situation and the government gains nothing and loses out on interest payments themselves. Putting up taxes would also ensure that its not just borrowers paying the price of the economic situation and the government would gain through the extra income and reduced borrowing costs.
Don't the government own 60% of NatWest.

60% of a very healthy dividend of a lot of cash (hundreds of millions I would think). As you say politically much better to do that, blame it on the BoE and not irritate people with direct taxation.

It also builds a good case for a sale of those shares and a 'look at what we've done' when the bank is sold for £x billion.

Last edited:
The government doesn’t control interest rates. The tax burden is already astronomical. So raising taxes is a suicide note.

Is it me, or are/have petrol prices gone up? Everywhere today seemed to be between 3p-7p a litre more than last weekend?
I filled up the day we went to Scotland at £1.39 and it was £1.45 to £1.53 when we arrived!

Now at £1.46 here at home, the robbing bastards

Is it me, or are/have petrol prices gone up? Everywhere today seemed to be between 3p-7p a litre more than last weekend?
Was just about to post the same, 7p rise over the last week at our local garage.

$2 a litre here (well, just under). With the way the dollar is performing lately in Aus that equates to about 82p a litre.

Blimey! That high Seattle number no doubt influenced hugely by messrs Gates and co still living in the area!

How weird to pick Saxony-Anhalt ?

Picked out the bottom one in each country

Back