• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

What sort of high temperatures do you need to fry at? Extra virgin olive oil's smoke point is 190 - 207°C.
Olive oil is the other decent one, along with butter.

It's not just about smoke point it's how many aldehydes the high temps create,which are very bad for you.

What sort of temperatures? I have a seriously big deep fat fryer here to do all sorts and I never have the oil hotter than 160 degrees

Alright Tom Cruise.

Reminds me of the old joke, pick whichever shithouse pub you like as the setting (you can have the Ashmore)...

"Lager and lime, please"

"We don't do cocktails..."
Haven’t been in The Ash for fucking months man. I’m upmarket now.

Olive oil is the other decent one, along with butter.

It's not just about smoke point it's how many aldehydes the high temps create,which are very bad for you.

Another 0.25% increase in the interest rate today. It used to be said that increases in rates would have the desired effect in 2 years time. Why are they still increasing them if inflation rates are falling now? They are hammering a section of society whilst others can go on spending regardless.

Wilko close to going bust. About to call in the Administrators

Around 12000 people employed by them

Another 0.25% increase in the interest rate today. It used to be said that increases in rates would have the desired effect in 2 years time. Why are they still increasing them if inflation rates are falling now? They are hammering a section of society whilst others can go on spending regardless.
Whilst inflation has fallen, it's still high at 7.9%.

I've found these predictions useful when trying to decide on my next mortgage term.

According to that the BOE rates will continue to rise until around Christmas.

I can remember rate changes being a very effective tool back in the days of my first couple of mortgages and my parents before that. All that though was long before we have this ridiculous dance of fixing for a period of time then switching, again and again.

To my (simple) way of thinking it must mean that interest rate rises in real time affect only those on variable or who are about to switch with all other mortgage holders escaping (for the time being), and everyone else completely free from the burden. That’s a pretty small band of people who are taking the full hit and doesn’t seem right at all.

It’s supposed to be a two pronged attack I thought. Higher interest rates are supposed to mean higher savings rates, encouraging those who are left with disposable income to save rather than spend.

That’s the theory anyway.

It’s supposed to be a two pronged attack I thought. Higher interest rates are supposed to mean higher savings rates, encouraging those who are left with disposable income to save rather than spend.

That’s the theory anyway.
Yep. I guess it's not as effective when the best savings accounts are still around 3.7% (ISAs are better though)

Yep. I guess it's not as effective when the best savings accounts are still around 3.7% (ISAs are better though)
It's peanuts really in the grand scheme of things.

Nationwide offered me 5% fixed for a year but I can only afford to stick a couple of grand tops away right now if I can't touch it (the pitfalls of not having an actual job per se). £400 less tax a year from now. Big wow, what's that paying for, not much.

I'm starting to sound like my parents, spluttering with shock at the prices of a packet of crisps being over a quid and the like.

Back