• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

£4-4.50 for a big bottle of Heinz Tommy K now - I got the own brand instead.

Martin Lewis is not liked in my house anymore.

Absolutely nothing to do with him being a doom monger or anything but the MiL watches his programme every week and is convinced she is owed thousands of £ from somewhere. "Must be something they owe me in my pension, Martin said so"... she is 81, has zero outgoings in term of bills, her pension is topped up by a hefty private pension her husband took out and is still paid out despite his death nearly 4 yesars ago.
On the long list of people who need help, she is at the very bottom but fucking Martin Lewis said...
People are an absolute menace for this and always have been.

Rewind 20 years to when I used to have to talk to the general public as a bank employee. They'd see something on TV ("sharp practice" was a particular favourite at the time) and parrot it down the fucking phone. Forever trying to get something for nothing. I had to find various variants to smooth over the sentiment of "nope, you don't know what you're talking about, shut up and go away".

Not that it gave me any job satisfaction to defend a bank, even when we were in the right. It's like when I used to post on the E&S and defend Moxey against utter drivel. I mean I was stating established fact and shutting down nonsense, but it still felt grubby.

Extra virgin at that price too!!
I know a guy called Costa and his family make extra virgin Olive Oil on an island in Greece.
He sells us a 3litre can for about €25.
So about the same I suppose.
Mind you it's just gone up from €18!!

Grocery prices have been rocketing over the last three or four weeks. Alta Rica coffee is going up about 50p a week. If I didn’t need that caffeine hit first thing in the morning I’d just drink council pop and fuck all else. Except beer. And cocktails. I can afford those.

And cocktails.
Alright Tom Cruise.

Reminds me of the old joke, pick whichever shithouse pub you like as the setting (you can have the Ashmore)...

"Lager and lime, please"

"We don't do cocktails..."

Not sure I'll ever look at @Boozad the same after that fact.

Went to get some shopping earlier. I know pretty much everything (including my temper and intolerance of others) has increased massively, but olive oil - what the actual fuck???! A fiver for a relatively small bottle.

Fucking Brexit.
Did see that in the shops when I was in the market for oil. Cheaped it out with sunflower oil isntead as in my head I couldn’t justify it, and I’m certainly no connoisseur

Some food items you should never compromise on but others you absolutely can. For the vast majority of dishes you are never ever going to tell the difference whether it's been cooked using sunflower/vegetable oil or olive oil.

Also never waste olive oil by putting it into the water to boil for “keeping pasta from sticking together”. Absolute old wives tale that one.

Some food items you should never compromise on but others you absolutely can. For the vast majority of dishes you are never ever going to tell the difference whether it's been cooked using sunflower/vegetable oil or olive oil.
Olive oil isn't just used for 'cooking' though...

I'm a heathen, cant tell the difference between extra virgin olive oil and the very promiscuous stuff.

For frying stuff at high temps, rapeseed oil is the best. Most bottles of vegetable oils if you look on the back say 100% rapeseed, just look for that.

Also never waste olive oil by putting it into the water to boil for “keeping pasta from sticking together”. Absolute old wives tale that one.
Adding any plant based oil to water to prevent pasta from sticking is a myth. All adding oil does is prevent the sauce sticking to the pasta.

For frying stuff at high temps, rapeseed oil is the best. Most bottles of vegetable oils if you look on the back say 100% rapeseed, just look for that.
What sort of high temperatures do you need to fry at? Extra virgin olive oil's smoke point is 190 - 207°C.

Annoyingly, you absolutely need to do this for gluten free pasta. My wife is gluten intolerant and cooking GF pasta is a proper pain in the arse.

Back