• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

Great mix on the front page there!

You can't afford your leccy bill but a man holding millions of pounds of pointless shit is happy

It's fucking disgusting, and we're (well, I'm) definitely feeling it on the weekly shop, filling the car up, paying for anything. Fruit, dairy and meat (to the point I've cut consumption by about 2/3) especially seems to be fucking me. It's so bloody depressing

food/grocery inflation "down" to 11%. As del says, it is disgusting. Not only that, it is across the fucking board - it is affecting almost every item, especially staples. It's actually phenomenally difficult to look at any way to make savings or cut any corners to help balance your budget.
And there are vast swathes of people who are really stuck by it - single people on really low incomes, families with really young children and so on.

IMF now saying we will have the highest inflation rate of the G7 next year, and are likely to have the highest interest rates to combat inflation. Their forecast for the next 5 years isn't ideal reading.

I’m finally having to sort my mortgage this week as my current deal is ending. It’s not quite as horrific as I feared it may be but not sure whether I’m better off fixing for 5 years or 2 years. I guess there’s not much chance of rates coming down in 2 years time?

Last edited:
I’m finally having to sort my mortgage this week as my current deal is ending. It’s not quite as horrific as I feared it may be but not sure whether I’m better off fixing for 5 years to 2 years. I guess there’s not much chance of rates coming down in 2 years time?
None of us have crystal balls I’m afraid but reports from the IMF today suggests that rates will stay higher for longer in the uk.
I fixed earlier in the year for 5 years but worry that I’ll be worse off if they fall significantly in the medium term.

I went with a variable at 0.14% above whatever the base rate is.

Fixed rates weren't appealing enough to reel me in as I do think it'll improve when/if we change government.

It is £400 a month more than what we were paying though, brutal.

This has proven to be a decent BOE base rate predictor so far

By no means was I comfortable financially as a student, being in the dual era of fees and no grants (all hail 12p bread, 5p noodles and cramming £2 worth of salad bar stuff into a £1 tub) but by Christ was the picture healthier 20-25 years ago compared to now.

Somewhere on the Daily Mail website people are telling them to stop doing woke courses, get up early and do some hard labour. Never did them any harm.

Student rents are obscene. These slimeball landbastards (needlessly gendered word) transfer homes into HMO's and then rip students off for every penny. My old student house we all had to pay £96 per week which worked out at £1152 per month. I've just had a look and the same property is now £122 per week so a 2 bed terraced house (downstairs living room converted into a bedroom) is valued at £1464 per month

I did well at University as i went as a mature student so got full allocation of finance plus a bursary for older students, that enabled me to focus on my studies. It contributed hugely to my grades.

It's outrageous that the government say "you're 18 now... but we're still gonna impede you because your parents do ok" it's not inconceivable families have kids in 1st and 3rd year at University but only enough disposable income to support ones studies.

Average combined income in the UK is £38,100 (ONS) students from those households get £2000 less than the poorest students.

I shared a flat with a girl in first year whose dad casually walked into student services on drop off day and paid for her tuition and first years accommodation in one go.

Ultimately, it only affects 'middle class' kids it makes no odds to the poorest or richest kids. Going to University involves paying an aspiration tax.

Student rents are obscene. These slimeball landbastards (needlessly gendered word) transfer homes into HMO's and then rip students off for every penny. My old student house we all had to pay £96 per week which worked out at £1152 per month. I've just had a look and the same property is now £122 per week so a 2 bed terraced house (downstairs living room converted into a bedroom) is valued at £1464 per month

I did well at University as i went as a mature student so got full allocation of finance plus a bursary for older students, that enabled me to focus on my studies. It contributed hugely to my grades.

It's outrageous that the government say "you're 18 now... but we're still gonna impede you because your parents do ok" it's not inconceivable families have kids in 1st and 3rd year at University but only enough disposable income to support ones studies.

Average combined income in the UK is £38,100 (ONS) students from those households get £2000 less than the poorest students.

I shared a flat with a girl in first year whose dad casually walked into student services on drop off day and paid for her tuition and first years accommodation in one go.

Ultimately, it only affects 'middle class' kids it makes no odds to the poorest or richest kids. Going to University involves paying an aspiration tax.
I'd imagine you went to university outside of the south? That doesn't seem that much to me, we paid £750 a month over 20 years ago in Southampton

£400/month for me in Bristol (2009-2014). 7 bedroom house so, £2800 for all of us. Was 3 bedroom basement flat too, don’t know what they paid, but the guy owning it was making a killing on a shithole.

Maintenance loan was zapped by rent so then living expenses was savings, working in holidays and parents helping me out. General renting situation in this country is a load of shit in general though.

Last edited:
Couldn't afford to go away to uni when I went approx 22 years ago. If I had to pay today's costs / prices I doubt I could have gone at all.

So much for social mobility.

I couldn't have afforded a London University in 1999.

Wouldn't afford Manchester in the same situation now. So would be hoping Birmingham accepted me and live at home (which would have been disastrous - would have meant me moving to Germany at 20 having never lived independently in the UK) or forget it.

My daughter is in Sheffield and pays north of 7.5k pa. We are fortunate to enough to be able to pay that for her so she only covers living costs from her PT job and fees from her student loan. The big difference now is private landlords want to tie you down for next student year in Novermber and charge you for 48 weeks

Back