• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

Wow, that's scandalous.

My girls are 10 and 6 so we have this to look forward to, if that's the route they wish to take.

God knows what it'll be like in 8-12 years though.

Our accommodation outside of first year in halls was the full 52 weeks. Not a big deal as our terms mirrored school holidays so reasonable value compared to others finishing in May or whatever.

Reading that article the maintenance loan has been upped at a rate to match the increased rent. So covers it but more debt! With fees having tripled since I went that’s a solid debt to pay back (if you actually end up paying it). Fortunately for me interest rates were low so the 1% wasn’t a big deal but if I went now I’d be leaving with an £80k loan and paying 6%+ interest!

Car insurance renewal quote has had a lovely rise from £45pm to £68pm

Quick scan of the Compare sites and they are pretty much matching the renewal costs and my current provider is cheaper on the renewal than it is for new customers.

Was undecided on whether to take the company EV car option once I have done my 12weeks. I think I will be going down that route so they pay for all this shit.

Quick scan of the Compare sites and they are pretty much matching the renewal costs and my current provider is cheaper on the renewal than it is for new customers.

Was undecided on whether to take the company EV car option once I have done my 12weeks. I think I will be going down that route so they pay for all this shit.
Ours went up £250 this year, over double from last year.

At this point it's robbery.

my renewal was £150 cheaper than if i was a new customer

Interestingly, if i run a dash-cam my excess is cancelled, even if i'm at fault.

my renewal was £150 cheaper than if i was a new customer

Interestingly, if i run a dash-cam my excess is cancelled, even if i'm at fault.
Interesting, who are you with?

Mrs Trips renewal quote came in at £53pm up from £48. She said leave it as its only a few quid (insurance companies love people like her) - convinced her to have a shop about and got it to £24pm. Happy days.

£24?! I was having a look a few weeks back and I was looking at least £80 a month anywhere, I haven't had an insurance policy for 8 years or so but surely no claims discounts don't make that much difference?

Hastings Direct put mine up £80 with no way to cancel online. Called them up to cancel and got it a few quid cheaper than last year. I made the mistake when I was with Direct Line of just letting it renew. When I finally got my act together I got it £300 cheaper than direct line would offer.

£24?! I was having a look a few weeks back and I was looking at least £80 a month anywhere, I haven't had an insurance policy for 8 years or so but surely no claims discounts don't make that much difference?

I was similar with my no claims being on my commercial vehicle and hadn’t had a car for about 12 years, meaning any car we have has to be in the wife’s name with me as a named driver.

To be insured in my name on a car I’d have to start from the beginning again. We did some research when changing the motor recently (and I can’t recall the specific figure offhand) but it would’ve been several £100’s more to put it in my name - and that’s me being of an age and driving record that is relatively low risk.

I think you’ve got to try and tough it out the first year then things get discounted fairly quickly, but it is a real problem for sure.

Fucking AA!
Dealers in sharp practice!
New insurance docs came through the other week, "Cheapest prices on line" and "For the best rates click here! You have the lowest rate!!"
So I rang up and as usual, after all the shite, "I'm able to offer you a discretionary discount, (No!) "I'll just check with my supervisor" (no!)
and a final "loyalty discount" i got €86 knocked off .
So now fully comp, full no claims bonus of 60% (Protected) I only have to pay €440 a year....
Upshot is, that if you didn't have the neck to phone them up and tell them 'No' 3 or 4 times, and many won't, you'd just get €550 taken out...
Bastards

Recently changed my car so when I put my private plate on retention I called my insurance to inform them and they charged a £35 admin fee to send a new PDF certificate then a few days later for the new car a £25 admin fee as I amended online and £22.74 extra premium (from October to renewal in December) for the new car which is a newer model of the old one but with a smaller engine

Can be up to 70% I think

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67378808

Experts say a major contributory factor is that while rents have soared in recent years, local housing allowance rates, which determine housing benefit levels, have been frozen since 2020.
In June, analysis by the Institute for Fiscal Studies think-tank found just 5% of new private rental properties advertised on Zoopla were covered by local housing allowance rates, the lowest level on record. Official figures show almost two in five private sector tenants receive housing benefit
Millions being priced out of the rental sector. I struggle to understand how some families are coping with these costs.

When I lost my job the job centre said I would get the rent covered as they don’t want people evicted.

Gave me £400 a month which was helpful but nowhere near what my rent costs were. I queried it and they said I should be in a one bedroom flat so they can only pay an amount to cover that. As I was in a three bed detached this was somewhat sub-optimal.

Back