• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ched Evans + Adam Johnson court cases

Yes. Previous conviction has been quashed so I think it all starts again.

Current status: "innocent" but with a tarnished reputation.

Will lower league football clubs go near him now? The above status is still "better" than Lee Hughes.

If he is found not guilty then clubs will approach him.

Feel sorry for the poor woman who now has to go through the trial all over again.

Current status: "innocent" but with a tarnished reputation.

Exactly.

Clayton McDonald was acquitted of any wrongdoing at the time, where as Evans was convicted and sent to prison with a 5 year sentence. McDonald has regularly spoke about how, despite being innocent, his reputation has been tarnished and his career/life has been "destroyed". He now finds himself playing for Worcester City in the National League North. This could be partly down to the fact he isn't very good, but I don't dispute for a minute that it's mainly down to his reputation and association with Evans & the trial.

It will take a very brave football club to offer Ched Evans a contract; even if he is proven innocent at the re-trial.

From listening to the verdict, the judge said a new charge has to be made within 2 months. So, does that mean if the Police don't arrest him and charge him on suspicion of rape by the end of June that's the close closed without a retrial?

Interesting to see what new evidence was used that made the Appeal Court over turn the original verdict

It will take a very brave football club to offer Ched Evans a contract; even if he is proven innocent at the re-trial.

Considering 2 clubs were on the verge of doing so when he was a Convicted Rapist, I don't think the clubs will need to be brave at all. I reckon Oldham will be after his signature within a few days if he is found not guilty

I think a club would be brave to turn him down if he was found innocent.

They'd get a lot of shit from press, etc.

Difficult situation for any club. They're open to criticism if they offer him a contract and they're open to criticism if they don't (if he is found innocent).

Interesting that the moneyshop as a sponsor appears to be more contentious than signing ched evans!

Exactly.

Clayton McDonald was acquitted of any wrongdoing at the time, where as Evans was convicted and sent to prison with a 5 year sentence. McDonald has regularly spoke about how, despite being innocent, his reputation has been tarnished and his career/life has been "destroyed". He now finds himself playing for Worcester City in the National League North. This could be partly down to the fact he isn't very good, but I don't dispute for a minute that it's mainly down to his reputation and association with Evans & the trial.

Ironically Lee Hughes is also at Worcester

If Evans is found not guilty, then will he sue for loss of earnings. Clubs would not sign him due to his conviction, so he must have lost a fair amount of money.

I rather doubt he would have a case. His original contract was terminated upon conviction and that was fair enough at the time. There was and is no obligation for a club to offer him a deal.

Thanks Paddy. I wondered where he stood, as a few clubs were considering signing him, but stepped away after pressure from their own supporters.

I rather doubt he would have a case. His original contract was terminated upon conviction and that was fair enough at the time. There was and is no obligation for a club to offer him a deal.

There will have to be some redress though if he is found not guilty. two and a half years jail time ( about 18 months served was it?) will mean that he will get all the money back I would have thought that he could have earned in that time and a darn sight more. The difference as always is that the bill will be picked up ultimately by the tax payer. I am thinking Guildford four . One, Conlon settled for half a million I believe. Given player wages I cant see why Evans if found not guilty on a retrial couldn't get at least the wages he was estimated to earn over the next x number of years.

It really pisses me off though. Someone somewhere has fucked up royally. Either the prosecution, the police or a witness has come forward or even the victims stopry isnt right. We wont know which til afterwards because of the reporting restrictions. I would say as a reminder, that there was absolute fury from the Jimmy Saville family when the first allegations about him came out after his death but look where we are now.

Feel sorry for the poor woman who now has to go through the trial all over again.

I Agree with one exception, if the new evidence points to lies/ inconsistencies in her story. We wont know until the trial. I would presume the CPS now has to look at the file and the new evidence and see if there is enough evidence to charge evans. If not he can then be arrested and evidence obtained by questioning or searches to secure and preserve evidence. After that if there is insufficient evidence to charge he will be released. That would be the best case for Evans and the worse case for everyone else as it would show innocence through lack of evidence. Cant see that happening. I think there is a game of cat and mouse over the next 6 weeks and would watch this space with interest.

He won't get compensation for loss of earnings. Extremely unlikely. If your conviction is overturned you are entitled to compensation for incorrect imprisonment. However, a deduction can then be made from that sum for the free food and board that you have received. Birmingham Six had that deduction.

No chance his enormous earning power as a footballer will be taken into account. All you are entitled to is as above. Conlon's half-a-million figure was for 17 years of false imprisonment. Plus don't forget that the conviction here has been found unsafe for reasons as yet unknown. In the case of the Birmingham six and Guildford Four, the compensation was exacerbated by the fact the convictions were in a large part secured by way of false confessions extracted by physical and mental abuse by the police. That's why they got a payout.

He won't get compensation for loss of earnings. Extremely unlikely. If your conviction is overturned you are entitled to compensation for incorrect imprisonment. However, a deduction can then be made from that sum for the free food and board that you have received. Birmingham Six had that deduction.

No chance his enormous earning power as a footballer will be taken into account. All you are entitled to is as above. Conlon's half-a-million figure was for 17 years of false imprisonment. Plus don't forget that the conviction here has been found unsafe for reasons as yet unknown. In the case of the Birmingham six and Guildford Four, the compensation was exacerbated by the fact the convictions were in a large part secured by way of false confessions extracted by physical and mental abuse by the police. That's why they got a payout.

Cheers pad. I couldnt find any formula for it though or find if there was a cap on maximum? If not this could set a precedent?

I have to say I am not really sure. I think the key will be the reasons for any overturn of conviction in the re-trial. Could be a very interesting civil case to follow whatever happens in the second case.

Back