• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Burton Albion (H) build up 10/9

I like that he only wants one holding player in effect. I find when we play with two holding players (and this goes for most teams) we become a lot more rigid And struggle to get players in forward positions. Saiss sounds like he can cope too.

I like that he only wants one holding player in effect. I find when we play with two holding players (and this goes for most teams) we become a lot more rigid And struggle to get players in forward positions. Saiss sounds like he can cope too.

I certainly wouldn't say the formation we've been playing has been particularly fluid though. For long periods in the first half against Rotherham and the whole game against Huddersfield the two more advanced centre mids just ran (Saville ran, Edwards jogged) up and down the pitch in their 'channel'. They pretty much played in line with each other and very rarely roamed outside of their little 5 yard strip of grass that they seemed determined to churn up. Huddersfield especially found it very easy to retain possession against us by moving in between the lines which forced them back onto Price and we ended up with Jackett's spectacular 3 man defensive midfield.

Long term I would prefer a more 'staggered' formation with one CDM (Saiss), one box-to-box midfielder (Oniangue) and one attacking midfielder (Teixeira).

I literally said in the OP that it was hard to predict Zenga's formation so just went with what I would do. 4-2-3-1 just happens to be my preferred formation.
Are you Jamie Redknapp? :icon_wink:

In other news, I'd go with:
Ikeme
Iorfa Stearman Baath Borthwick-Jackson

Price Saiss Texiera

Cavaleiro Bod Wallace

Subs Lonergan, Costa, Oniangue, Hause, Mason, Gladon, Saville

Not expecting Cavaleiro, Dicko, or Silvio to take part, so, I'm hoping for/expecting...

Ikeme; Iorfa, Stears, Hause, Bojack; Price, Prince, Teixiera; Costa, Mr. Boddy, Jed

Also, completely unrelated, but what in the wide world of sports is an "albion"?

It's an archaic term for Britain. Don't know why sports teams adopted it.

Can't wait for this game now, hopefully it's quite close to a full house and Molineux will be buzzing. Burton have started quite well but i don't think they are that good having seen a lot of them last season, admittedly they have changed their attitude from defending to having a go but i think we should win this. Have no idea what the team will be but i would play

---------------------------Ikeme-------------------------

Iorfa-------------Batth----------Hause------Borthwick-Jackson

--------------------------Saiss----------------------------

-----------------Prince----------Teixeira-------------------

--------Cavaleiro-------Bodvarsson-----Wallace-------------

Subs: Lonergan, Doherty, Stearman, Price, Wallace, Mason, Gladon.

Bit harsh on Doherty as he has been playing well and with Burton playing 3-5-2 him overlapping could make a big difference but not sure with him 1 on 1 against Akins. Could quite easily put Costa in for either Wallace or Cavaleiro and i expect Coady to be in there somewhere even if he isn't in my squad but hopefully not at right back, Iorfa has to play right back against Dyer.

I don't expect this to be the team but it's what i'd like to see. I think Stearman will probably play centre back with Batth and Coady or Saville to be in midfield.

I can't even pick first XI, could work in many ways.. At the back I would like, Ikeme, Silvio, Iorfa, Batth, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson.

The scenes when we get a big crowd and play Edwards, Saville and Coady as a midfield 3....

The rest is just toss up.. Bod to play in the centre of attack though

..and Saiss as DM.. The rest I really don't know

And if silvio not fit then.. Iorfa, batth, stears, cbj

Ikeme

Iorfa - Batth - Stears - CBJ

Prince - Saiss - Tex

Cavaleiro - Bod - Costa

If it's not that I'm turning the car around!

I'd be happy with most of the teams everyone is advocating, but I suspect Doherty will start at rb rather than Iorfa, Zenga has no axe to grind with Doherty, he's been ok since he arrived and Iorfa hasn't been at his best

I want us go all Kevin Keegan Newcastle.....

Ikeme

Doherty Batth Stears CBJ

Saiss

Tex Prince

Cav Bod Costa

Let these new boys off the leash!!

In a related note if there is a sizeable crowd there surley the volume will be ramped up with multiple new signings in the XI?

Ikeme

Iorfa - Batth - Stears - CBJ

Prince - Saiss - Tex

Cavaleiro - Bod - Costa

If it's not that I'm turning the car around!

Although that's the team I'd like to see I'd be surprised if 6 players get their first league starts of the season. I expect no more than 3, probably Stearman, Cavaleiro and Prince

Saiss and Cavaleiro are the players I'd most like to see asap........pinning my hopes on Saiss, as we've been mostly dire in this position for a long, long time

I want us go all Kevin Keegan Newcastle.....

Ikeme

Doherty Batth Stears CBJ

Saiss

Tex Prince

Cav Bod Costa

Let these new boys off the leash!!

In a related note if there is a sizeable crowd there surley the volume will be ramped up with multiple new signings in the XI?

Agreed. We have signed all these new players, maybe we should start playing them.

Back