• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Blues (H) Build-Up & Match Thread 24/2/17

Doherty isn't the answer medium or long term but TBH I think he's been okay at LB. Way better than I ever imagined. I want us to sign a proper LB but I'm more concerned about the output from RB rather than LB performance wise.

I also disagree with his effort levels. He may lack application but I can't accept that he doesn't care and makes no effort.

Sorry mate but his effort levels are a disgrace. He'll put the legwork in going forward because that's what he's interested in but as soon as we lose the ball he barely breaks into a trot chasing back. It leaves us wide open continually.

His attitude has always been awful, look at the state of his conditioning. He doesn't look like a pro footballer.

I would not say he has been ok at LB, he has been a bit better than he was at RB where his performances were sub-Conference North level.

Sorry mate but his effort levels are a disgrace. He'll put the legwork in going forward because that's what he's interested in but as soon as we lose the ball he barely breaks into a trot chasing back. It leaves us wide open continually.

His attitude has always been awful, look at the state of his conditioning. He doesn't look like a pro footballer.

I would not say he has been ok at LB, he has been a bit better than he was at RB where his performances were sub-Conference North level.
Granted I've not seen us anywhere near as often as most people on here but from what I've seen he looks vulnerable, less than comfortable but not the weakest link in the side and certainly not without his merits - he was excellent against Liverpool for example.

We can't judge CBJ on his reputation - like I said earlier, I didn't see enough of him earlier in the season to suggest he was a vast improvement and if his attitude isn't good, PL is right to leave him out. Not our player, sod him.

Both full back positions need to be sorted, I wouldn't argue otherwise. I think we'll be fine at RB with a fully fit Marshall pushing an in-form Iorfa but LB is a concern that I hope we sort in the summer.

Agreed there, I don't give a shit about CBJ. I'd play Breslin over Doherty though.

Never seen Breslin. If he's got anything about him, absolutely - give him a go.

My main concern at the back is at centre half - we look so much better with Williamson playing and Hause is showing some great form. Really hoping they start on Friday, especially with Williamson playing 90 minutes tonight.

I agree with all that. I know most don't care about CBJ but he wasn't a Thelwell signing and I fear he's been treated abysmally by the coaching clique.

Doherty is only lauded as he's a (little bit) better than anything else we have for that position

Whether that is acceptable is another question

I agree with all that. I know most don't care about CBJ but he wasn't a Thelwell signing and I fear he's been treated abysmally by the coaching clique.
The thing is that if he WAS a Thelwell signing, you'd probably be ranting at Thelwell for signing him in the first place.

Like I said - if he's not pulling his weight, surely he's to blame rather than the coaching staff? Lambert has given untried youngsters some game time so why wouldn't he do the same with CBJ?

CBJ is here to the end of the season. If Lambert thought he was better than Doherty he'd play him. I saw him play 3 times in the flesh I think, one good (Burton), one poor(Derby), one terrible when he did look like he couldn't be arsed.(Brentford). Now he has a languid style which may explain that, but that's how it looked.

Breslin over Doherty!!!!! Jesus.

He's the weak link in the under 23's. I get that people don't rate Doherty but you need to come up with a better alternative than a lad who probably will never make a pro.

It's a mark of how low my opinion of Doherty is.

A young kid with a left foot, the ability to stop the occasional cross, an acceptable BMI and an actual work ethic would genuinely be better. Even if he does end up falling away from the pro game eventually. Matt Doherty has none of those things and he's 25 with nearly 200 senior games under his XXL belt.

Last edited:
The thing is that if he WAS a Thelwell signing, you'd probably be ranting at Thelwell for signing him in the first place.

Like I said - if he's not pulling his weight, surely he's to blame rather than the coaching staff? Lambert has given untried youngsters some game time so why wouldn't he do the same with CBJ?

I can't say whether that would be true as I know he wasn't a Thelwell signing, it is well documented he was a Butti signing. I saw a better full back than Doherty, who given a run of games should have been better than the current slab of shit we have there right now. I despise players like Doherty and even though CBJ isn't ours I would have preferred him to that fuckknuckle.

Only my theory but I think he's been sidelined along with others because he wasn't a Thelwell signing.

Must agree with DW on Doc watching him jog back when everyone else sprints to cover him is just not acceptable. if we don't have a kid capable of stepping up in that position we need to look at signing someone in the summer.

I can't say whether that would be true as I know he wasn't a Thelwell signing, it is well documented he was a Butti signing. I saw a better full back than Doherty, who given a run of games should have been better than the current slab of shit we have there right now. I despise players like Doherty and even though CBJ isn't ours I would have preferred him to that fuckknuckle.

Only my theory but I think he's been sidelined along with others because he wasn't a Thelwell signing.
Nah, sorry - I think that's a ludicrous theory. I honestly think it's as simple as he doesn't train hard enough in which case Lambert is absolutely right to leave him out.

I don't believe Thelwell interferes with Lambert's selection - not for one second.

Lambert has explained why he's not starting CBJ. He's got enough inexperienced defenders as it is without throwing another 18 year old (who isn't even ours) in. The back 4 are dodgy enough as it is.

CBJ WILL be a quality player but he's not there yet. Hopefully this wasted year hasn't set him back too far.

Nah, sorry - I think that's a ludicrous theory. I honestly think it's as simple as he doesn't train hard enough in which case Lambert is absolutely right to leave him out.

I don't believe Thelwell interferes with Lambert's selection - not for one second.

It's a plausible theory on Thelwell - he's come out and said he didn't buy certain players and most of those players have been disposed of or are out of favour and funnily enough the one's he did sanction are in the squad. He's even tried to say that he wasn't responsible for Gladon.

Football clubs are funny things and about as unprofessional a work environment as I've seen so it wouldn't surprise me if Thelwell has told Lambert who is and isn't available for first team selection. That is, 'That's your squad Paul' and 'we are looking at moving these players on as they do not have a future here' and 'we do not believe x fits the system and style we are trying to achieve here' or simply (and I've genuinely heard this) 'player x doesn't do it for me so I don't think we will be using him'. As I said, unprofessional.

Look at the players we've played under 3 different managers now, they're all the same names and they've all achieved the same thing. Nothing. Lambert is just another head coach doing the same thing as Jackett and Zenga.

Lambert has explained why he's not starting CBJ. He's got enough inexperienced defenders as it is without throwing another 18 year old (who isn't even ours) in. The back 4 are dodgy enough as it is.

CBJ WILL be a quality player but he's not there yet. Hopefully this wasted year hasn't set him back too far.

Only that's bollocks and we know it is otherwise Bright, Wilson, Ronan and Gibbs-White don't play either.

My view is rather more simplistic than others. I think PL looked at Doherty when he first came in and saw a player who can do a job at this level, and will continue to do so over the remainder of this season.

I fully expect a marked improvement in that role to be signed over the summer.

In the meantime, if Doherty gets injured, he's got CBJ or Hause to cover.

Fucking panic stations this morning as Wolf Hunting has rung me to tell me he has booked our flights over for March 24th and not Feb 24th...........

I am fuming. :gloom:

Gawd, if I have to watch Coady play RWB Friday I will come home an Albion fan.

Be nice to see Saiss and Ronan but I don't think we'll see either :(. Personally I would have Ronan>Bright at the minute from the bits I've seen.

Back