• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bellend commentators

I've only ever known one Coventry fan in my life (an ex manager at work) and he was a complete bellend as well.

I've only ever known one Coventry fan in my life (an ex manager at work) and he was a complete bellend as well.
Strange club, always desperately looking for a rival and always failing to find one. Villa, Leicester, Blues, Albion and Wolves and none give a toss about them.

That isn't how I would have framed that, but yeah, it was a bit of a bummer.

Is that down to a delayed kick off and surviving relegation knowing what they had to do?
Yeah, they reckon Jimmy Hill was all part of a great conspiracy. Football fans are great. Maybe just win your game?

Realistically unless you were around then (mid 70s I think?) it would make no sense to be a Sunderland fan and hate Coventry, it'd be like a 25 year old Wolves fan hating Bolton because of John McGinlay.

East Midlands wise then in my experience it's only Forest/Derby that matters. Leicester are largely irrelevant to both and Notts County don't play Forest enough.

Yeah, they reckon Jimmy Hill was all part of a great conspiracy. Football fans are great. Maybe just win your game?

Realistically unless you were around then (mid 70s I think?) it would make no sense to be a Sunderland fan and hate Coventry, it'd be like a 25 year old Wolves fan hating Bolton because of John McGinlay.

East Midlands wise then in my experience it's only Forest/Derby that matters. Leicester are largely irrelevant to both and Notts County don't play Forest enough.
Forest and Derby are the only true rivals up here form what I've seen, unless you want to drop down the leagues and take in some Mansfield/Chesterfield hate that apparently tracks back to the miners strikes.

Think there's too much distance between the others for there to be any great intensity between the rest of them but there's still some dislike there, they're by no means ambivalent.

Mansfield kick off against everyone, got a real Port Vale style element to their support.

Quite a lot of resentment from South Yorkshire teams towards Forest but it's pretty much one way, again all 80s miner related.

Mansfield kick off against everyone, got a real Port Vale style element to their support.

Quite a lot of resentment from South Yorkshire teams towards Forest but it's pretty much one way, again all 80s miner related.

Yeah I remember talking to my old boss, from Sheffield, about it a bit some years ago - he finished off with a comment along the lines of 'every other cunt went back to work before the Yorkshire miners'.

Mansfield's an odd little place, very Walsall of the East Mids vibe about it.

My brother-in-law is a huge Derby fan and it’s without doubt Leicester that he hates most. I don’t think that’s the majority view, but it’s definitely his!

Derby/Leicester got fairly big in the late 90s and early 2000s when they were directly competing with each other, including both going down in 2001/02 and Savage properly wound up the Derby fans with a ludicrous last minute dive for a pen at Pride Park.

Then Derby went and signed him years later! He wasn't popular. Think Steve Claridge here x 100.

Bit of an epic playoff final between the two as well in 1994. Like a lot of these things, a chunk of it will be generational. Villa never meant much to me as a rivalry growing up as we never played them.

I suppose that where you grow up/live has something to do with it. To the north of Leicester/shire you have Derby/Forest and to the south west you have Coventry. Ashby is probably in the middle of Leicester/Derby but to me seems way more Leicester whereas it'll be more Derby if you are a couple of miles further on into Swadlincote/Burton
Likewise Hinckley being Leicester which isn't far from Nuneaton which would be more Cov.

Back