• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Picked up a few bottles of Stewart - Hollyrood to ease the pain of the QPR v Wigan borefest. Looking forward to them, supposed to be a lovely beer.

Most of their beers are nicer than Pride. I'm not sure how it's become so dominant. It can be quite hard to find anything else down here.

There was a time, and mind you this is a long time ago, when Fullers and Youngs were pretty much the only real ale breweries in London, and Fullers didn't brew anything other than Pride and ESB. I imagine it's a hangover (no pun intended) from that.

A couple of extremely good pints of Kirkstall Pale Ale for lunch followed up with a Leeds Pale!

I remember years and years ago going around the corner from Euston station (well, a few corners) and I found a pub that was large, wide open, dark and cool and they did the most gorgeous pint of Courage Directors ale. Found it recently in Sainsburys in a bottle and was a bit disappointed...

Probably my taste buds have changed over the years and my expectations raised in the years since I last drank it.

I remember years and years ago going around the corner from Euston station (well, a few corners) and I found a pub that was large, wide open, dark and cool and they did the most gorgeous pint of Courage Directors ale. Found it recently in Sainsburys in a bottle and was a bit disappointed...

Probably my taste buds have changed over the years and my expectations raised in the years since I last drank it.

Courage is probably one of the most bland, bog standard and pretty much tasteless beers you'll find these days. It's not much cop at all.

Courage is probably one of the most bland, bog standard and pretty much tasteless beers you'll find these days. It's not much cop at all.

Yep. Appropriately named. You need a shed load of courage to drink that piss.

But it was one of the few real ales around in the south all those years ago when WH remembers it from. It's a bit like comparing Alan Wells with Usain Bolt.

It's what used to be Manders Bar, near the Little Civic.

Yeah, I know the place. Nice building and a cheeky little beer garden too. Alchemy was awful.

May pop in next week at some point to check it out. Would be nice if they have a range of ciders as well as ales.

Sounds good to me. Great combination :D
Alchemy used to have a decent indie night, so probably same folks putting it on.

But it was one of the few real ales around in the south all those years ago when WH remembers it from. It's a bit like comparing Alan Wells with Usain Bolt.

Good example Doog!
It was, in fairness around 1980 and my local pub was serving Watneys Red Barrel (Now there was a shocking brew) before the boiler in the basement blew!
So to find this Directors on hand pumps was a real find!

Now of course, there are so many lovely ales which surpass it on taste complexity and all round flavour.
I recently got hold of a bottle of O'Hara's Double IPA!! It was around 7.5% and was fucking gorgeous! Bit dear at €3.60 a bottle, but a great find!

That's O'Hara's of Bagnelstown in County Carlow. Not O'Hara recently of Wolverhampton & Blackpool.

New ale pub opening in Wolves city centre - http://thedoganddoubletinn.co.uk/

The old Alchemy I think.

They've really gone for the 80's 'kids wait in the car' pub theme!

10314710_10154085879820063_3846699312415797350_n.jpg

Interesting - I'll have to give that a look.

Never judge a pub by it's exterior by the way. When I went to Leicester to see a mate earlier this year we came across an absolute GEM of a place, but it looked dreadful from the outside.

2526920_1.jpg

Doesn't look like much, does it? But my god the beer was good and it was a really friendly atmosphere inside.

Fursty Ferret is bostin indeed sir. Good choice!

I have just had a pint of filly drift brewed by Ringwood brewery. Very nice it is as well with a nice kick to it. I might just try another....

Back