• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Wagon and Horses, are Seven Stars?

Yep. The Wagon reopens on Thursday and the Stars on Friday.

I might try one of them on Friday night and wait until Sunday for the other.

I'm quite pleased about the Stars in particular as they're having some TVs for the World Cup. There is absolutely nowhere decent in a walking distance to watch live footy with a good ale. Hopefully they'll keep their beer well.

My local don't even need to ask me if I want it in a handle glass.

Damn, it must be great for them to know exactly what you want.

Has anyone been to the Joules brewery pub in Stafford? The Pale Ale is absolutely sublime.

My local don't even need to ask me if I want it in a handle glass.

I'm usually one for saying 'bollocks to tradition' but it's got a fair reason for being that shape so that's good for me. 'Hip' is not a word I usually associate with handled pint pot beer drinkers unless it's followed by 'replacement'.

Has anyone been to the Joules brewery pub in Stafford? The Pale Ale is absolutely sublime.

Not been there James but I think there is a beer festival in Penkridge in September so might catch it then ? However, I think there is one in Cannock on the same weekend which, if true, is a bit silly. Looking forward to the one in Wolves on June 13th !!

My favourite beer over the last few years is Bathams, but difficult to get hold of away from Stourbridge / Brierley Hill area, although The Great Western does a lovely pint of Bathams. The fact that you can get Holdens in there too makes it a my beer drinking heaven.

The Western has FINALLY started to do the Holdens monthly specials. There's a new one out next week, probably not ready in time for the testimonial game on Monday but I live in hope. They keep them very well indeed.

This season, I've found it difficult to predict which ale will be better in the Western - the Holdens or Bathams. I really can't criticise the place too much but if I'm being ultra-picky, the Bathams sometimes (not always, but sometimes) isn't up to scratch. It's never close to the quality of the Bathams in the Royal Exchange (Stourbridge), the Unicorn (Wollaston) or the Bull and Bladder (Brierley Hill).

Annoying news - the Waggon and Horses won't be opening this weekend after they received a complaint about the license from a local resident. That means they have to investigate the complaint which could take weeks.

Must be so frustrating as they were ONE DAY away from opening!

Hope it gets sorted soon.

Arse - just seen langers post.

mental note #1 - be wary of posting on threads you never even read
mental note #2 - watch that langers fella, he's thinking about beer at 9.30 in the morning :yikes:

Arse - just seen langers post.

mental note #1 - be wary of posting on threads you never even read
mental note #2 - watch that langers fella, he's thinking about beer at 9.30 in the morning :yikes:

:nod:

The Western has FINALLY started to do the Holdens monthly specials. There's a new one out next week, probably not ready in time for the testimonial game on Monday but I live in hope. They keep them very well indeed.

This season, I've found it difficult to predict which ale will be better in the Western - the Holdens or Bathams. I really can't criticise the place too much but if I'm being ultra-picky, the Bathams sometimes (not always, but sometimes) isn't up to scratch. It's never close to the quality of the Bathams in the Royal Exchange (Stourbridge), the Unicorn (Wollaston) or the Bull and Bladder (Brierley Hill).

Bull and Bladder is excellent, but I suppose it should be on the back of the Delph Brewery :) Also like the New Inns nearby. Surprisingly they keep a cracking pint of Bathams at The Bell in Trysull and they sell Holdens there too !

I remember when there were several Joules pubs in Stafford! In fact I was weaned on the stuff! The brewery was in Stone for a long time until Bass bought them out in the early 70's. The 'brand' has re - emerged and is brewed in Market Drayton IIRC.

I remember when there were several Joules pubs in Stafford! In fact I was weaned on the stuff! The brewery was in Stone for a long time until Bass bought them out in the early 70's. The 'brand' has re - emerged and is brewed in Market Drayton IIRC.

It is Leeds and a bloody fine brew it is too. A local pub to me 'The Mainwaring Arms' serves it and it's excellent. I think it's still owned by the family and they're opening up several other pubs to serve Joules as the main drink too.

Back