• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Sadlers is brilliant. I'll have a look for it at the festival tonight as they have a few on.

Forgot to post about the Stourbridge beer festival - had a top laugh but I think the venue (town hall) is now too small for the festival. Not got a clue where else it could be moved to though, unfortunately. I went on the first night which is normally the quietest but it was absolutely heaving, with very few spaces for seats.

Some very nice beers - nothing came close to Dark Star - Hophead (which was a bit of a cheat really as I've had it before so should have stuck to new beers, but nevermind) but I also really liked Sarah Hughes: IPA which was a new one for me. Love the Dark Ruby but it seems they can also do a very tasty light beer. Well worth a try if anyone sees it.

Got a couple of new pubs opening in Stourbridge over the next few weeks - the Seven Stars FINALLY reopens after being empty for years, and the Waggon and Horses looks like it's nearly ready to reopen (thanks to the Shameless Plug thread for that info).

Will that IPA be served in the Beacon?

Forgot to post about the Stourbridge beer festival - had a top laugh but I think the venue (town hall) is now too small for the festival. Not got a clue where else it could be moved to though, unfortunately. I went on the first night which is normally the quietest but it was absolutely heaving, with very few spaces for seats.

Some very nice beers - nothing came close to Dark Star - Hophead (which was a bit of a cheat really as I've had it before so should have stuck to new beers, but nevermind) but I also really liked Sarah Hughes: IPA which was a new one for me. Love the Dark Ruby but it seems they can also do a very tasty light beer. Well worth a try if anyone sees it.

Got a couple of new pubs opening in Stourbridge over the next few weeks - the Seven Stars FINALLY reopens after being empty for years, and the Waggon and Horses looks like it's nearly ready to reopen (thanks to the Shameless Plug thread for that info).

Seven Stars? Really? Which brewery now owns it?

Seven Stars? Really? Which brewery now owns it?

Still owned by Heineken, but it will be serving Enville, and Deuchars IPA. They've got a Facebook page which shows some video footage of the refurb work they're doing. Which (thank goodness) includes putting the back bar in again. They're doing loads to the place which it probably needs after being abandoned for so many years.

Opening on May 3rd/4th all being well.

Couldn't make the game today but am celebrating the crazy goalfest with a Dorothy Goodbody's.

I preferred the golden glow to the bathams in the western.

I thought the Bathams in the Western was a really nice pint. Enjoyed the fook out of it even though I was hungover.

When it reopens, the Waggon and Horses in Stourbridge will be serving Ma Pardoes - Entire as a regular ale.

Someone pinch me.

Pint of Badgers "Golden Champion"....Don't mind if I do

Just had a lovely pint or 3 of Brockville Dark.

I had a glass of Batemans XB last night. This beer has come in for a bit of criticism and been accused of being tasteless and having the appearance of creamflow. Taste wise I found it to be quite decent, quite earthy and not at all bland. It does have a creamy head, but this head follows the ale down the glass. All in all a very acceptable beer.

I must admit that I find Batemans bland. The Flatland Ruddles.

I had a few Resurrections and Acorn's St George's Best over the weekend. Very pleasant.

A few people have said Batemans is bland, but the XB I had yesterday was very nice.

Forgot to mention the couple of pints of Hophead consumed as well.

I went to Brew Dog on Saturday.

Their prices absolutely disgust me. Some nice enough drinks, a nice place, very friendly staff who always let you try a drink before you buy it and fair play, it makes people try real ale but £4 - £4.50 for a pint of a beer that won't blow your head off? And vastly more for 1/3 or 1/2 a pint that you could unblock your sink with? Fuck that.

Anyway - looking forward to 2 old haunts of mine reopening this weekend in Stourbridge. I shall do my best to visit both.

Back