• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

When I lived in Manchester, my local was a Beartown pub - their best beer was called Kodiak Gold. Decent brewery - based near Stockport I think?

I think I have tried most breweries ales over the years, but I do not recall sampling anything from the Beartown brewery? Hopefully it was in fine form.

Pub recommendations please....

My stag do is taking place along the SVR and I want some real life pub recommendations from you worthy ale connoisseurs.

Most of the day will be spent in Bewdley, so a couple of good places, including one for lunch are required. We'll have one stop in Highely for about an hour and a half, so again a pub or two there before arriving in Bridgnorth for evening meal and pub crawl around the town.

The second day we're off up the river stopping off in Arley - already looked, only one real option, and Hampton Loade.

So, those of you who have knowledge of these areas - where is best to visit and where should we avoid??

Personally, I'd leave out Bewdley because it's not particularly convenient, nor is it actually that good for ale. My recommended itinerary:

Start in Kiddy: the King and Castle. Tremendous ale pub based at the station itself. Does Bathams.
Get on the train - you can buy good beer on the train - I recommend the Bewdley Ales (I have never found these actually IN Bewdley before!!). Sir Keith Park is a good beer.
Get off at Highley - maybe visit the engine house whilst you're there? For lunch, go to the riverside because The Ship Inn not only does amazing beer, but the food is top notch.
Back on the train - get another bottled ale on board and go to the end of the line at Bridgnorth.
When alighting, you HAVE to go to the Railwaymans Arms as it's a real ale mecca.
After there, go into Bridgnorth town. Plenty of excellent pubs which do good food which I'm sure you'll locate. Worth a look around.

If you get a freedom of the line ticket, you can go on however many trains you like for the day so it's well worth it. What time of year are you looking to do this? Bear in mind that the timetable changes when it's high season, and if there are special events on, it WILL be very busy. It's also closed during January and half of February.

If you absolutely must do Bewdley, you may find it's not convenient with train times as the station is the wrong side of the river. But go to the Little Pack Horse and have a cow pie. But in all seriousness, I'd leave Bewdley out and go Kiddy - Highley - Bridgnorth.

Arley and Hampton Loade are no good if you want a decent pint.

Cheers Langers. I was just looking on Whatpub.com and presumed Bewdley was a good choice as there are some 15 pubs listed within half a mile of the station. Happy to bow to your experience though. We're going in March and have checked there is a full timetable running.

Arley and Hampton Loade are prescribed stops on a canoe tour we're doing so don't really have a choice there. We'll be too hungover to be that worried about decent ale I imagine!

Cheers for the tips, sir. How's your Bowie-itis?

Cheers Langers. I was just looking on Whatpub.com and presumed Bewdley was a good choice as there are some 15 pubs listed within half a mile of the station. Happy to bow to your experience though. We're going in March and have checked there is a full timetable running.

Arley and Hampton Loade are prescribed stops on a canoe tour we're doing so don't really have a choice there. We'll be too hungover to be that worried about decent ale I imagine!

Cheers for the tips, sir. How's your Bowie-itis?

Hoggle-fever is much better today, though I need to get off the PC now as I'm starting to feel a bit giddy. Won't be at work til next week, sadly because I can't use a PC for very long at all. I'll be WAY behind. :( Still - should be okay for the game on Saturday.

Canoe tour? Awesome! That'll be great. Any stop along the line is very picturesque but Bewdley is sadly not that convenient as the station itself is out of the way of the town. Everywhere else is practically on the platform. There's a short 20 yard walk down a steep slope to get to the pub in Highley but if it's a nice day, you can sit out on the decking overlooking the river like so:

The-Ship-Inn-Highley.jpeg

view-from-room.jpg

It serves Hobsons Town Crier too. http://www.shipinnsevernside.co.uk/

Oh yes - you can take your beer on the train with you if you're short of time at the King and Castle (Kiddy) or the Railwaymans Arms (Bridgnorth). Just ask them for a plastic glass.

Lych Gate tonight for some much needed ale.

Getting the shopping in Tesco this afternoon and I saw for the 1st time a new line from Wytchwood Brewery called 'Scarecrow'.
I'd had Hobgoblin and it's not bad, but I was serioudsly impressed with Scarecrow.

Bloody lovely flavour and a really nice aftertaste. Hmmmm...

I've never seen it before... Anyone else like it?

I much prefer Hobgoblin TBH.

I did make a rather pleasant discovery yesterday actually. I was in Home Bargains and saw their ale range. Not a great amount of choice but they had Sadlers Worcester Sorcerer for £1.50 a bottle. Crazy value for a very nice beer.

(Didn't buy any as I can't drink alcohol until I've finished my antibiotics :()

Going to try the new Stourbridge brewery on Friday night - the Green Duck.

Not had a beer for over 2 weeks now so looking forward to it!! Then a BIG session on Saturday.

Looking forward to the review!

Will be enjoying some Bathams this weekend =D

More Elbow Beer action - this time they have gone with Marstons and will be available in Nicholson's Pubs.

1014016_10151986291198878_656033954_n.png

Yeah saw that on Facebook. Marstons? Meh. I won't go out of my way to try that one TBH.

Yeah saw that on Facebook. Marstons? Meh. I won't go out of my way to try that one TBH.

notice it's a pale ale, trying to think of other Marstons brewed pale ales, which it is going to be along the lines of. Can't say I know of any Nicholson's pubs off the top of my head.

The Robinsons one was one of my favourite tipples.

notice it's a pale ale, trying to think of other Marstons brewed pale ales, which it is going to be along the lines of. Can't say I know of any Nicholson's pubs off the top of my head.

Nicholsons pubs to start with, then a wider release apparently. I'm not a huge fan of Marstons - very ordinary IMO. Robinsons is a quality brewery so I was always quite excited by that.

Banks's Sunbeam - which is very nice. More Marstons owned than Marstons brewed though perhaps.

Back