• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Can't recall ever seeing any North Coast over here, tbh. That sounds like ridiculously good value! Do you guys have progressive beer duty based on abv over there?

I've never heard of anything like that, so I'm assuming that we don't. Although tbf a 4 pack at that ABV is rarely as cheap as the Old Rasputin. Not sure how they manage to keep the price so low, especially as an indie brewery.

I wasn't questioning your personal ABV tolerance. My remark was based on my own experience where most bars that I have drunk in limit the volume of higher ABV drinks eg Heathen at The Refectory would be served in either thirds or halves.

The London had Brooklyn Sorachi Ace (7.2%) before the QPR game, it was great knocking a couple of pints of that back. I'm all on board with the 1/3 and 2/3 measures but fucking hell it was great to have a pint of a really decent beer, just imagine a pint of Pulp or Born to Die or Double Heathen. Heaven.

Went out to get some lagers earlier on to go with a takeaway. Grabbed half a dozen 660ml Peronis. Took them to the till: £3.21 in total.

Im not sure the person serving me even realised that that was somehow wrong. Needless to say I pretty much sprinted out of there.

Had some banging low abv beers last night (was at a party so wanted to have a decent session without getting hammered).

Marble - Pint (3.9%)
Track - Sonoma (3.9%)
Twisted Barrel - Sine Qua Non (4.5%)
Elusive - Level Up (5%)
Ended the night on a 6.6 traditional porter from Brew By Numbers.

Not a bad beer amongst that lot. Favourite was probably the Marble although the BBNo was an absolute beauty too.

Had a chilled afternoon post-carvery swigging a White Hag Atlantean NEIPA followed by two bottles of Yellow Belly. Needed a couple of banging stouts to blow out a shitter of a freezing morning.

Two bottles of Yellow Belly?! The sheer decadence :icon_lol:

3.9%?? What's the point???

Two bottles of Yellow Belly?! The sheer decadence :icon_lol:

Felt like spoiling myself, still got one left so felt justified! Followed those up with a Ruination then dozed off on the settee trying to catch up on the shitty Walking Dead

3.9%?? What's the point???
Means I can drink for a whole night and still be clear headed when the kids wake up at 6:30am

We're the kings of the flavourful, balanced and smashable low abv sessionable ale - it's the one beer style America hasn't mastered yet ;)

Means I can drink for a whole night and still be clear headed when the kids wake up at 6:30am

We're the kings of the flavourful, balanced and smashable low abv sessionable ale - it's the one beer style America hasn't mastered yet ;)

I'm not sure we've really tried to tbf. Session ales are pretty rare although they're gaining a little bit of steam.

Different cultural strokes, I'd guess! Don't ask me why our most popular low-grav beers are shitty macro lagers, though. I can't explain that one.

Hop City 2018 line-up
9f43870d357c931d17f9c23e3f1f6c4e.jpg

Mikkeler showing up just in case you want to blow all your money on one pint.

Most of those breweries are not available to me but I will go ahead and stick my neck out for Stone's Exalted IPA. God level stuff.

Mikkeler showing up just in case you want to blow all your money on one pint.

Most of those breweries are not available to me but I will go ahead and stick my neck out for Stone's Exalted IPA. God level stuff.
It will be purchase by token and it will be served in thirds. The tokens are usually 8 for £20 IIRC.

Last year's Hop City and Dark City worked out at one token per third with the exception of Alchemist who charged 3 tokens per 500ml can (the only brewer not to have keg on offer).

Last edited:
Me: What's the Wi-Fi password?
Barman: You need to buy a drink first.
Me: Okay, I'll have a beer.
Barman: Is Fosters okay?
Me: Sure. How much is that?
Barman: £3.
Me: There you go. So what's the Wi-Fi password?
Barman: youneedtobuyadrinkfirst. No spaces, all lowercase.................

Looks like Hardknott are to be no more - https://hardknott.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/a-catatonic-beer-industry.html

He always came across as a cantankerous sort of fella with an unhealthy chip on his shoulder about the industry in which he worked. I'm also 100% sure that his issues and grief with the brewing industry are totally justified, but he never seemed to be able to let it go and get on with doing what he needed to do to make his brewery more of a success. Shame, as they were a pretty good brewery.

Sounds like they'll become cuckoo brewers from that blog post, perhaps?

You're not wrong about the chip on his shoulder. Can't say I've found any of Hardknott's beers great.

You're not wrong about the chip on his shoulder. Can't say I've found any of Hardknott's beers great.

Always thought Azimuth was a decent supermarket IPA, probably been overtaken now tbh. I had a 3 year old barrel aged barley wine from them at Birmingham Beer Bash a couple of years ago which was possibly beer of the festival. Stunning.

Back