• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Some of the old boys in The Tiger used to have a "Mickey Mouse" - half a mild, half a Newcy Brown, in the same glass. Fooking rank if you ask me but hey, you give them what they want.

A micky mouse around my way was half lager/bitter. A mixed was half mild/bitter. A black and tan was bitter with a Mackeson stout.

Some of the old boys in The Tiger used to have a "Mickey Mouse" - half a mild, half a Newcy Brown, in the same glass. Fooking rank if you ask me but hey, you give them what they want.

When my Father had the Blue Gates hotel in Smethwick there was one particular customer who required a pint glass, a half of mild and a bottle of Mackeson, and he he mixed it himself. Any other variant and he refused the drink. Though I thought that was called a "Mickey Mouse" though I may well be mistaken.

A micky mouse around my way was half lager/bitter. A mixed was half mild/bitter. A black and tan was bitter with a Mackeson stout.

When my Father had the Blue Gates hotel in Smethwick there was one particular customer who required a pint glass, a half of mild and a bottle of Mackeson, and he he mixed it himself. Any other variant and he refused the drink. Though I thought that was called a "Mickey Mouse" though I may well be mistaken.

It's a local variant thing clearly :icon_lol:

Always pained me to stick blackcurrant cordial in Guinness and the experience of cleaning the sticky residue of Red Bull/Vodka pitchers off tables was not what I was really looking for immediately after leaving uni (but my actual job didn't start until August and I left Manc in June, so what can you do).

Bar work is proper easy if you understand pubs really, it's what annoys me about the Moon more than anything. They have no concept of how bar queues work. I could forgive the filthiness and the dank if they actually served properly. Instead they're the worst in Western Europe.

When I lived in Brighton, half lager and half bitter was known as a golden.

Only in a pub would anyone think a mechanical pump was more accurate than an electrical pump.

Black & Tan is still a thing, although it's half an imperial stout and half a double IPA and would probably set you back £15. :D

I think the last time I had a pint of Banks's Mild was when it cost £1.10 for a pint in the New Inn served from keg using a switch instead of a tap handle. Grim.
The New Inn \o/

What a pub. I only drank the Mild in there when I didn't have enough change for a pint of Harp. It was rank.

FWIW I don't mind a pint of Banks's bitter. It's not amazing but it's perfectly drinkable IMO.

The New Inn \o/

What a pub. I only drank the Mild in there when I didn't have enough change for a pint of Harp. It was rank.

FWIW I don't mind a pint of Banks's bitter. It's not amazing but it's perfectly drinkable IMO.
Mild or Harp Irish lager. Halcyon days!!!

We used to go in on a Thursday night when were about 16 and play cards whilst drinking Mild. We knew how to have a good time :icon_lol:

There was none of that crazy school night Thursday drinking for us!

We drank in there every Friday night at 16. I think it was the place to be if you were an underage 'grebo'!

A few of us used to go to the outdoor at the back of the Bear Hotel in Bearwood. We took empty bottles and bought beer saying it was for our Dads. I doubt if the landlord believed us, but he still served us. I think back then the Bear was an Ansells pub, and we had Ansells mild. I can't remember what it was like, but we were just happy that we were drinking beer at 16 years of age.

The days when your Dad would send you to fetch a jug of beer, a fag and a match?

Me grandad used to give me tasters of his home brew from when I was about 5. When I was older, about 12, I'd pinch some of me dads, think it was Watneys Red Label ( I think) . I didn't have the best start in life with regards to beer.

The days when your Dad would send you to fetch a jug of beer, a fag and a match?
I remember when I was a kid one of my Aunties lived around the corner from us. Every teatime my cousin would go to the off-sales at the nextdoor pub with a jug to fetch some beer which they drank with their meal.

Me grandad used to give me tasters of his home brew from when I was about 5. When I was older, about 12, I'd pinch some of me dads, think it was Watneys Red Label ( I think) . I didn't have the best start in life with regards to beer.
Red Barrell, which later became re-branded as Red. Dreadful stuff. As was the 'Longlife' canned beer from Ind Coope.

Me grandad used to send me and me nan up to The Rollers in Coseley to get his bottles filled and for his fags. Then when we got back he'd say ' Alice, put a chat or two on the fire '

Even at that age I can remember thinking ' Get your own fucking beer and put your own chat on the fire ya lazy bastard '

New Asda open next to us so popped in today. They've got Stone Cali Belgique IPAs in there so stocked up. Lovely drink.

New Asda open next to us so popped in today. They've got Stone Cali Belgique IPAs in there so stocked up. Lovely drink.

Lovely drink that. It wasn't that long ago that I was asking my workmate to go to Beer Gonzo in Coventry specifically because they had that in stock and I was desperate to at least try it once in my life! Now you can get it in the weekly shop :icon_lol:

I still reckon Go To IPA is the best on the supermarket shelves atm.

Just about to grab a Chinese takeaway and have got one of these lined up to have with it:

LN_814727_BP_11.jpg

Reckon it should be a pretty good pairing.

Back