• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

If you did that and spilled my pint of Banks's Mild then we're at war, Sonny Jim.

I might just buy you a pint of said liquid and have the action shot of you drinking it, just so I can post it on here. And if you're really lucky you'll get a Doombar chaser.

I might just buy you a pint of said liquid and have the action shot of you drinking it, just so I can post it on here. And if you're really lucky you'll get a Doombar chaser.

iaG3uq.gif

We're going to have a problem here.

I get an involuntary shudder every time I see Bennett do his carbon copy of the Stearman dragback. Harrowing memories.

To be fair that was pretty much the only thing George did of any particular note when he was here. As for Starsailor I can certainly understand your aversion to the lead singers voice, and their music isn’t something I would actively listen to these days.

Fair play. There again don't be surprised if you are challenged either.

Challenge me all you want :)

I'm not a fan of beer that looks like its come from the Minute Maid section in the fridge aisle, but I wouldn't knock anyone else if they like it. Everyone is different and so are their taste buds :)

I'm not a fan of beer that looks like its come from the Minute Maid section in the fridge aisle, but I wouldn't knock anyone else if they like it. Everyone is different and so are their taste buds :)
Fine. No problem.

I don't think anybody is saying 'you are pond life if you drink that rat piss'. More 'That beer's rat piss'. The fact you want to drink said beer is immaterial.

I don't think anybody is saying 'you are pond life if you drink that rat piss'. More 'That beer's rat piss'. The fact you want to drink said beer is immaterial.

Understand what you are saying Johnny.But the rat piss doesn't make me have a headache the next morning, some of those Craft Beers give me a stinker the next morning. I'm destined to forever drink piss :)

Understand what you are saying Johnny.But the rat piss doesn't make me have a headache the next morning, some of those Craft Beers give me a stinker the next morning. I'm destined to forever drink piss :)

Some Craft Beers taste like rat piss to me too. It's just personal preference as you say. I don't see the point of drinking Boddingtons or Banks's as it's just liquid to piss away after a few tasteless brown pint pots. I also draw the line at nearly £9 for two thirds of a hipster brew which I have to sip like it's unicorn tears to get the full 'value' from it.

I was pretty much weaned on Banks's Mild, so it will always have a certain nostalgia value, and I'll generally have one if its on tap in any pub I go in. But probably just the one.

I think the last time I had a pint of Banks's Mild was when it cost £1.10 for a pint in the New Inn served from keg using a switch instead of a tap handle. Grim.

Yeah, quite a lot of pubs had those automatic dispensers. Grim. And then they tried to go the other way and installed hand pulls everywhere.

Yep, pretty sure the mild came out of those taps when I worked in the Tiger in Wednesfield. 2003.

Flipping loved those taps when I worked behind a bar - only had them in one place I worked at sadly.

I used to work in the Firs and all there was a mix of those taps for mild and bitter depending on whether you were in the Lounge or bar.

They were indeed run off cask. No keg beers in those days in the pub. That was over 20 years ago mind you.

If I remember correctly from when my Father was in the pub business, Porter Lancastrian were one of the the pioneers of electric pumps. I recall there being a fuss as to whether they were dispensing the correct measure, my word that did cause arguments within the brewing industry.

I used to work in the Firs and all there was a mix of those taps for mild and bitter depending on whether you were in the Lounge or bar.

They were indeed run off cask. No keg beers in those days in the pub. That was over 20 years ago mind you.
The Firs in Castlecroft?

If I remember correctly from when my Father was in the pub business, Porter Lancastrian were one of the the pioneers of electric pumps. I recall there being a fuss as to whether they were dispensing the correct measure, my word that did cause arguments within the brewing industry.
I thought that was the whole point of them - an exact measure?

I thought that was the whole point of them - an exact measure?

It was, but in the early days people did not trust them. I think they had glasses with a line indicating when the full pint had been poured, but many thought they were getting short measure. I can still remember my Father having many a conversation with an irate customer who thought he was not being served a full pint.

One of my first experiences of working behind the bar in my old man's boozer was a customer asking if I'd be able to put a whisky in his pint after I passed it to him. When I said probably his reply was "fill the fucker up with beer then!"

That was in an actual pint glass and although it was said half in jest it was a lesson learnt. By the time I was fourteen I'd got each individual customers preference of a head to perfection.

Back