• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

I had to have a Boddingtons tonight as it was the only bitter available in the hotel... It was shit.

Earlier in the day though I had a bottle of Old Mout Cider which was kiwi and lime flavoured. Bloody lovely it was too.

Banks's is shit.

Surely it is down to ones tastes and opinion. Banks Amber is a reasonable enough drink, certainly not the best I have had, but equally it is nowhere near the worst. Though of course that is just my opinion.

Surely it is down to ones tastes and opinion. Banks Amber is a reasonable enough drink, certainly not the best I have had, but equally it is nowhere near the worst. Though of course that is just my opinion.

Sorry, Banks's is shit IMO.

It's pretty rubbish, let's be honest. Cheap bitter, made cheaply in vast quantities for minimal cost, sold in their huge network of tied houses. Commodity beer.

Plus the quality of the beers from the breweries they own (Jennings, Ringwood, Wychwood etc) has decreased hugely since they (Marston's) took over.

If that's not blatant profiteering, I don't know what is :icon_wink:

It's pretty rubbish, let's be honest. Cheap bitter, made cheaply in vast quantities for minimal cost, sold in their huge network of tied houses. Commodity beer.

Plus the quality of the beers from the breweries they own (Jennings, Ringwood, Wychwood etc) has decreased hugely since they (Marston's) took over.

If it is blatant profiteering that you are concerned about, then look no further than the craft beer market.

19954109.gif

That's the bit that irks me about accountants running breweries. And if you're an accountant running a business then you start at 'cunt' and have to prove me wrong to work your way up from there (just my opinion of course).

Anyway - in very positive news, the girl I have just started seeing absolutely loves real ale. Went for a drink with her last night and went for a pint of Mad Goose followed by Butty Bach. Her response? "These are good but next time we should head to the Waggon because they've started selling craft ale there. Have you heard of Tiny Rebel?"

Pinch me!!

If it is blatant profiteering that you are concerned about, then look no further than the craft beer market.

Cloudwater - probably one of the most hyped and raved about craft breweries in the country, who are regularly criticised for their pricing, are currently in their 3rd year of trading and are yet to post a profit but are on course to make a small one next year.

Martson's - £98m underlying profit in 2016

Anyway - in very positive news, the girl I have just started seeing absolutely loves real ale. Went for a drink with her last night and went for a pint of Mad Goose followed by Butty Bach. Her response? "These are good but next time we should head to the Waggon because they've started selling craft ale there. Have you heard of Tiny Rebel?"

Pinch me!!

200.gif

Pinch me!!

If she loves Wolves, Dr Who and hates Cricket you might be onto something there...

If she loves Wolves, Dr Who and hates Cricket you might be onto something there...

Well she loves football. Not a Wolves fan unfortunately but you need to have SOMETHING to work on, right?

TBH I was sold at the real ale interest. Anything else (she hates cats, she's an ace cook and takes photos of her food on Instagram like someone else I know...) is a bonus.

Well she loves football. Not a Wolves fan unfortunately but you need to have SOMETHING to work on, right?

TBH I was sold at the real ale interest. Anything else (she hates cats, she's an ace cook and takes photos of her food on Instagram like someone else I know...) is a bonus.

Mike has converted Gerry so anything is possible.

He managed to do it without sleeping with him as well (I hope) so you've got an advantage there.

Support Wolves or I'm gonna sleep with you again.....

Cloudwater - probably one of the most hyped and raved about craft breweries in the country, who are regularly criticised for their pricing, are currently in their 3rd year of trading and are yet to post a profit but are on course to make a small one next year.

Martson's - £98m underlying profit in 2016

Not really a fair comparison. Cloudwater will have bought equipment and spent a lot on R&D when starting up and not selling much, infrastructure costs a lot of money! Marstons have been running a fair while so their start up costs will have been absorbed by now.

Amazon made an eye-watering $800m loss in their first 3 years.

While I accept that Machin and Boozad probably know more about beer than the rest of us, this is the beer thread, and I fail to understand why there is criticism or mickey taking of those of us who prefer the more standard, run of the mill beers. I make no apology for enjoying a glass of Spitfire, Hobgoblin Gold, Trident, Titanic Iceberg and a few others. I think people need to be a bit more open minded, and not dismiss a beer just because it is brewed for the mass market.

I wasn't criticising, but mass market beer, by definition is brewed for profit.

If it's open mindedness that concerns you, then you really should look past the price tage of certain craft beers before forming an opinion.

Back