• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

BrewDog AB:23 Bourbon barrel aged 11.5% Barley wine. Absolutely beautiful. Worth every penny @£5.30/third = £15.90/pint.

Been wondering about that drink having seen it advertised. Would have no problem getting a third of that provided I liked the sample but then, I don't care much for volume drinking and need the Untappd check-in.

Northern Monk / Alefarm Patrons Project 7.03 - 8.2% Blueberry Wild Ale. Absolutely banging. It's not what I expected as I thought this one would be quite tart but it's not. Bursting with blueberries with a hint of apple, almost cider-like. Malt and yeast give it a good body and it's got a subtle spicy finish. Great beer to celebrate Jota's stunner today.

Did you read the blog I just posted?

Yes I did read it. And interestingly it is admitted in that report that are occasions when the pricing is wrong, though to be fair, overall it was a good article and while I do not agree with the pricing policy, to a certain extent I can understand it.

Frank, can you share how you know the Craft Bear industry is taking part in "blatant profiteering". I presume it is based on something more than charging a price you wouldn't pay? As someone who is somewhat neutral on this subject, I have seen Machin share some info on how smaller craft places price so it would be interesting to see other side of the argument to this with some facts etc.

Machin put forward a very good article which defended craft beer prices, but admitted sometimes they do get the pricing wrong.

Machin and Boozad are both far more informed that me on this subject, and the only 'facts' I can present are the prices I see.

The Bacchus Hotel in Sutton on Sea has its own micro brewery, as does the Countryman in Ingoldmells. Both have beer festivals a couple of times a year, and both do very well out of it. In August, the Bacchus had its traditional bank holiday craft beer fair, and the landlord openly admitted he could charge what he wanted. Though to be fair his prices are not as expensive as some others.

giphy.gif

I have tried to answer the question.

There won't be a reply to that. Frank often cries on here about his opinion not "fitting in" but when someone tries to debate with him or tries to understand it he has no answer he will ignore it and carry on firing out his latest buzzword in reply to others.

He gets annoyed when people call him a WUM but that is exactly the behaviour of a WUM. In the last week alone I have tried to engage with him to counter or get a better view of his opinion and shock wumming horror...no reply to my questions.

Clearly on this subject he has decided the price is too high. Which is fair enough as on the face of it £9 is a lot for a pint (and one not many on here would pay and i include myself in that) but if you are ignoring other factors and have been shown explanations and still go with your catchy wind them up phrase what is the point of trying.

I have come to accept the hatred for me by some on here, that is life. Regarding buzzwords, I have accepted the 'blatant profiteering' was the wrong term to use.

Yes people accuse me of being a troll, or a WUM. I disagree, but that is their view, and I have been called a lot worse than that on here.

The price of craft beer is too expensive in my opinion, and having read Machins article I can understand why craft beer is more expensive than others, but the same article admits that at times it is overpriced.

Bloody hell Frank. Did you even read the link I posted or the opposing opinions that have been offered. I'm all for having this debate/conversation whenever the subject is raised, even if everyone else is such and tired of it, but please please engage in a proper dialogue.

I have endeavoured to do so.

I have thought a little about this subject and have come to the conclusion that it is like me always wearing Lacoste shirts.
I buy 8 short sleeve and 4 long sleeve Lacoste polos, every year. I don't buy them because they are expensive, I buy them because they are good quality. The colour doesn't fade in the intense sunlight and they don't lose shape when you wash them.
I don't buy them because they have a crocodile on them, I buy them because in my own experience, they guarantee me a certain quality. It is true that they are more expensive than many other brands, but for me personally, I prefer to spend more, for that reassurance.
I can understand completely, why people prefer other brands and cheaper polos. It is a personal choice and other people will have their own reasons.
If I bought Lacoste polos because I wanted to appear flash, then I could understand why people would take the piss. As it is, I buy them, because in my own personal opinion, they are worth the extra money.
Getting back to beer, I like the idea that people set up small local independent breweries. It is a bit like a carpenter who makes his own wooden toy steam trains. He puts hours of love and endeavour in to making the toys and of course they will be more expensive, but I buy it knowing that one man made it with his own hands, with his own craftsmanship. Of course he can't compete with prices from multinational toy companies. I won't judge other people for buying the cheaper trains, we all have our own reasons. I would hope that goes both ways and people could understand, why I chose to buy the wooden train from the village carpenter.
So, in conclusion it is about personal choices and getting on with life, be happy with your own choice and understanding other peoples reasoning and choices. So, I am ok with real ale drinkers and understand it, as long as they are not reading the Guardian( joking), or repeating the latest bollocks from Tony Blaire( not joking).

Major haul off Honest Brew, worth every penny.

Cloudwater - NW DIPA Galaxy 9%
Cloudwater - DDH IPA Amarillo 6.5%
Cloudwater - DDH IPA Nelson Sauvin Galaxy 7%
Siren - Middle Finger Discount IPA 7.4%
Siren - Ten Finger Discount IPA 7.4%
HonestBrew x Verdant - We've Lost The Manifest DIPA 8%
Northern Monk - Faith 5.4%
Northern Monk - Heathen - IPA 7.2%
Northern Monk - A Newer World DIPA 8.2%
Brew by Numbers - 16|07 Red Ale Chinnook Mosaic Simcoe 5.3%
Pressure Drop - Verlangen IPA 7.2%
Amundsen - Oceans IPA 6.6%
Edge - Sangria Sour 6.3%
Edge - Pure Decadence Imperial Stout 10.3%
Mad Hatter - Say Hello Wave Goodbye Coffee Pale 6.4%
Brew By Numbers – 08|06 Oatmeal Stout 5.5%
Mondo - Denis Hopper - IPA 5.3%
Weird Beard - Something Something Darkside 9.2%
Wild Beer Co - Sleeping Lemons - Gose 3.6%
Wild Beer Co - Millionaire - Milk Stout 4.7%

Only interested if it's served in a third glass, costs over £9 a pint, and has a rather silly name.

Back