• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Duvel is nice.

Ducel is fucking lethal. Our school did a history trip to Belgium when we were in the lower sixth and we tagged along with a load of year 10 kids. As the drinking age is 16 we were allowed to go to the local pub in the evening (the year 10 kids looked on very jealously as we traipsed off to the pub :icon_lol:) and the locals loved us in there. They gave us Duvel and it was lethal stuff. We got free Duvel t-shirts and everything though which was cool :) The downside was having to suffer the next day while touring the war graves at Ypres.

Don't get me wrong, bitter is nice enough but there's something about mild that I love. It's the same feeling I have when I drink tea, it's like a comfort drink in that it's really satisfying.

And Banks?!

It's my dirty little secret :)

Basically I'm rarely back at my roots these days and Banks's is what I associate with going home. Combine that with only being able to get Banks's bitter in the shops around here - which in itself is rare at best - I actually end up craving Banks's mild...

I do know, there are far better beers out there and there are many I prefer and enjoy more, but I can't help but love Banks's mild...

Duvel is nice.

There's a Belgian beer bar in Leek which is well worth a visit if you're ever there. Set up as though somebody had been to Bruges and wanted to create the most lethal beers in a legal bar. Some of the triple filtered monk brewed stuff was at 11% and served in the half pint sized goblets!

You'd love it Paddy.

Basically I'm rarely back at my roots these days and Banks's is what I associate with going home. Combine that with only being able to get Banks's bitter in the shops around here - which in itself is rare at best - I actually end up craving Banks's mild...

I do know, there are far better beers out there and there are many I prefer and enjoy more, but I can't help but love Banks's mild...

That's a bit like me saying I crave being stabbed because it reminds me of Manchester.

I had a few decent pints of Reverand James whilst recently in Wales. The places I went to also sold Tribute but it wasn't as good as the RJ, and was quite dissappointing compared to the last time I has a few of them.

Well I'm about to head out now - it's the Moseley folk festival so I'll be on the Purity beers - very nice indeed (the main 3 being UBU, Mad Goose and Pure Gold - recommended).

Might have a crafty few in the Post Office Vaults beforehand too.....

Nice one Langers. Went to Moseley Folk a couple of years ago. Got to see Willy Mason and Junip whilst supping Mad Goose from a 4 pint flagon! Weather was mint too!

My only issue with the place is the over inflated sense of self worth that surrounds everyone there. If you're not reading the Guardian whilst tucking into your Waitrose falafel flatbread with houmous then you don't really "belong" there. A lot of the time, people were more interested in themselves, or what other people thought of them, than they were in the music, which definitely seemed a secondary concern for a lot of the crowd.

Minor gripe, though. Have a wicked time!

Hmm I like both falafel and hummus. Maybe I should be at this festival?

Is this just before you start knitting your yoghurt and lamenting everybody using cars and planes whilst the world is dying? This of course just before you tell anybody who wants to listen about your wonderful holiday in Kenya on safari.

You've been then Johnny? :D

I know Langers has recently been on a Greenpeace fundraiser to "Save the Whale" so he'll fit right in.

There's a Belgian beer bar in Leek which is well worth a visit if you're ever there. Set up as though somebody had been to Bruges and wanted to create the most lethal beers in a legal bar. Some of the triple filtered monk brewed stuff was at 11% and served in the half pint sized goblets!

You'd love it Paddy.

Going back to Brugge in a few weeks, we've found a bar online that does a beer on draught there that is over 10%. They only allow people to drink 3 of them before they cut you off.

I've got a bottle of Straffe Hendrik Quadruple in the fridge at home that is 11.5% but most of the Belgian tripels are over 8% and are lethal after a few too many.

Westmalle blonde is probably the best Trappist tripel I've had, it's 9.5% but has fantastic flavour with a bit of a kick to it.

Nice one Langers. Went to Moseley Folk a couple of years ago. Got to see Willy Mason and Junip whilst supping Mad Goose from a 4 pint flagon! Weather was mint too!

My only issue with the place is the over inflated sense of self worth that surrounds everyone there. If you're not reading the Guardian whilst tucking into your Waitrose falafel flatbread with houmous then you don't really "belong" there. A lot of the time, people were more interested in themselves, or what other people thought of them, than they were in the music, which definitely seemed a secondary concern for a lot of the crowd.

Minor gripe, though. Have a wicked time!

I was there for Junip! The Bees played too (one of my favourite bands). Brilliant day.

I'm currently supping ale in the best pub in Moseley before we head in and hit the Mad Goose.

Your minor gripe is absolutely spot on by the way!! Something I've said many times before about the place. In fact, I could have written then myself!

I think tonight will be different as loads of OCS fans will upset the demographic....

Going back to Brugge in a few weeks, we've found a bar online that does a beer on draught there that is over 10%. They only allow people to drink 3 of them before they cut you off.

I've got a bottle of Straffe Hendrik Quadruple in the fridge at home that is 11.5% but most of the Belgian tripels are over 8% and are lethal after a few too many.

Westmalle blonde is probably the best Trappist tripel I've had, it's 9.5% but has fantastic flavour with a bit of a kick to it.

They have Westmalle on tap in the bar in Leek.

I'm thoroughly jealous of you going to Bruges I love the place. Plenty of bars like that and a few that sell standard Belgian beer in steins including one right by the church with the religious relic in (apparently a bit of Christ's cross with blood on it) which looked better after a few said steins.

I love it when a pub has Kronenberg on tap.

*runs before responses*

Cause they're so rare?!

Having a Croatian Ožujsko at the moment - not bad at all for a lager

Back