• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

They could barely be arsed to serve anyone to be fair let alone speak.

Belatedly, I didn't realise how good the Hog's Head was now. They had at least six (can't remember correctly) Tiny Rebel beers on cask and Clwb Tropicana on keg when I went in a couple of weeks ago. The missus had to drag me out.
I spotted that Tap Takeover on their Instagram feed I think. Would loved to have gone.

Listening on the radio today and a landlord actually admitted he charged the equivalent of £9 a pint for a craft beer. Sadly he was unable to justify why he charged such a price.

In my opinion, much as I like craft beer, the prices are disgraceful and I for one will not pay £9 for a glass of beer.

Listening on the radio today and a landlord actually admitted he charged the equivalent of £9 a pint for a craft beer. Sadly he was unable to justify why he charged such a price.

In my opinion, much as I like craft beer, the prices are disgraceful and I for one will not pay £9 for a glass of beer.
There was a story about a pint costing £13 in London. They did justify it though by pointing out they made a massive £22 profit per keg on that 1 drink. If something costs ££ to make they can't sell it for less than that.

Personally I wouldn't buy a drink at that cost, but understand why people will pay a premium for something that is classed as a premium product. To me that is no different than a wine lover paying 4x as much ££ for a bottle.

If they are asking £9 for a pint of Carling though then the world might as well stop spinning (I did once have to spend near £9 for a bog standard lager though...but that was in Tromso and tbe Norwegians love taxing everything until it bleeds and my choice was that or £7 for a Pepsi)

I'm a craft beer fan. But I too have been priced out of drinking it regularly and plentifully. I've set a £5 a pint limit and even at that price it's got to be bloody good.

Obviously a clueless landlord then.

I'm a craft beer fan. But I too have been priced out of drinking it regularly and plentifully. I've set a £5 a pint limit and even at that price it's got to be bloody good.
I know what you mean. Cloudwater, for example, are now a once in a while treat for me. Even their low abv session IPAs, as good as they undeniably are, are coming in a ~£4.50 for a 440ml can in the off-licence, and their DIPAs are north of £6.50. Just can't justify that cost on a regular basis. There are plenty of brilliant craft beers for £3 or less a bottle that will do for the majority of my drinking. Every now again I'll splash out on something big, but those kind of prices are certainly not the default.

A good point indeed. There was a craft beer weekend at the plough Inn at Hincley recently, and one needed a mortgage to buy a drink... The craft beer industry is guilty of blatant profiteering, and until customers vote with their feet they will carry on as they are.

Would you pay £9 a pint? I know I certainly would not do so.

See my previous post about what I'm happy to spend, but to summarise - I probably would once in a while if the beer was good enough.

TBF, it probably wasn't even served in pints, but people have this obsession with extrapolating beer prices to that equivalent, for some reason.

It's weird that beer isn't allowed to have a premium/high-end sector. Everything else does. Wine, whisky, gin, burgers....

I respect your opinion Machin, but my opinion is that the craft beer industry is intent on blatant profiteering, and I have not seen or read anything to make me change that view. And that is a shame as I like a lot of craft beers, but sadly the prices are just a rip off.

I respect your opinion Machin, but my opinion is that the craft beer industry is intent on blatant profiteering, and I have not seen or read anything to make me change that view. And that is a shame as I like a lot of craft beers, but sadly the prices are just a rip off.

Did you read the blog I just posted?

Ultimately, it's quite the opposite. It's the traditional cask beer market that's driving prices down.

Based on your opinion is all you needed to say. Too old to educate yourself? If not I suggest you read Machin's post, lots of info into why people do what they do and why costs are what they are.

If you don't have the mind for figures, numbers and simple economics then it probably isn't for you though,

Haven't we had this 'discussion' (Craft vs Macro pricing) on here before?

Haven't we had this 'discussion' (Craft vs Macro pricing) on here before?
Indeed. But people's options may alter. A year or so ago I was happy to regularly spend £40 on cans/bottles and come away with less than 10 items. Now it's more of a case of buying the majority of my craft beer from the alcohol aisle of a supermarket.

Options will alter, but that doesn't have any bearing on the argument/discussion/reasoning as to why craft appears to be far more expensive than macro.

Back