• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

The problem isnt the beers per se - its that they dont keep them especially well, with very little pride in their product.

I was told, perhaps wrongly, that their business model is to buy up large quantities of beer that's just about to go out of date, at knock-down prices. Which means they can sell it cheap but it's not always going to be fresh, and it's rarely well-kept like Vis says.

Yup. Its well known.

They can easily shift a fucktonne of beer, so the brewers are happy to let them take it.

I was told, perhaps wrongly, that their business model is to buy up large quantities of beer that's just about to go out of date, at knock-down prices. Which means they can sell it cheap but it's not always going to be fresh, and it's rarely well-kept like Vis says.
That might have been true in the past (I'm not entirely convinced), but not now. They have amassed a sufficient pub portfolio to keep the price competitive on volume these days so they make a lot less on each cask sold, but simply sell a lot more casks. Pile it high and sell it cheap still works.

One way they keep prices down is to buy short dated beer in large quantities which means they get it a lot cheaper than other establishments. And I can only speak of the ones I have visited, and the Wetherspoons in Hinckley and Louth both serve very decent beer.

I always drink Punk or Snake Dog in Wetherspoons pubs, pretty safe with those. Treason isn't too bad either and you can even get a DIPA for £2.99 (Resin) although it isn't very good.

There's 4 spoons in leeds, a couple of which aren't too bad at looking after their beer tbf.

I always drink Punk or Snake Dog in Wetherspoons pubs, pretty safe with those. Treason isn't too bad either and you can even get a DIPA for £2.99 (Resin) although it isn't very good.

I can only speak from experience, but I have always found the beer in the Wetherspoons pubs I have visited to be fine.

No-one with any sense wants to drink in a nice pub with awful beer, nor does anyone with any sense really want to drink in an awful pub with nice beer. Neither are worth the payoff.

I have issues with Wetherspoons in that they drive independent pubs away through aggressive pricing, appeal to the lowest common denominator and the owner is a prize knob. Although as I say, they are capable of getting it right, to a point.

It wouldn't be that difficult to at least partially fix the issues that The Moon has but they evidently have no interest in doing so as it's busy regardless. Personally I never want to go there ever again. It's as bad as it gets in terms of mainstream city centre places and I've been in some absolutely shit pubs all over the country.

In fact in Wolves city centre there's probably only McGhees and The Wheatsheaf that I'd rank below it. Even The Tap and The Billy Wright are better. At least they know how to serve and what the appropriate number of staff is.

Nearest Weatherspoons to me is 12 miles away so don't go there & only thing I would use the Moon for now is breakfast if I stay over (not paying the hotel prices)

Having said that The Admiral Lucius Curtis that we used before the Southampton game wasn't that bad at all (not great, but more than OK on service and beer quality)

It's very rare I end up in a Wetherspoons to be fair, only when the missus fancies going to The Tiger (yes, I know) for lunch.

I worked in The Tiger for two months back in 2003 when I'd just graduated, had about 28p in the bank and needed something to tide me over before I got a proper job. Got the gig from just propping up the bar, having a couple of pints of Guinness and talking to the bar staff. Clearly they had no standards.

If I was on a 10-4 shift then my principal job early doors was turfing out people eating Greggs pasties in the pub. If I was on a 4-12 then it started with me telling people not to smoke weed in the beer garden and ended with me mopping up sticky piles of Vodka Red Bull.

Halcyon days.

No-one with any sense wants to drink in a nice pub with awful beer, nor does anyone with any sense really want to drink in an awful pub with nice beer. Neither are worth the payoff.

I have issues with Wetherspoons in that they drive independent pubs away through aggressive pricing, appeal to the lowest common denominator and the owner is a prize knob. Although as I say, they are capable of getting it right, to a point.

It wouldn't be that difficult to at least partially fix the issues that The Moon has but they evidently have no interest in doing so as it's busy regardless. Personally I never want to go there ever again. It's as bad as it gets in terms of mainstream city centre places and I've been in some absolutely shit pubs all over the country.

In fact in Wolves city centre there's probably only McGhees and The Wheatsheaf that I'd rank below it. Even The Tap and The Billy Wright are better. At least they know how to serve and what the appropriate number of staff is.

Staffing levels has been an issue for years at Wetherspoons pubs. The Baron in Hinckley have as few bar staff as possible working, again this keeps overheads down. But the downside is that at busy periods, some folk will go elsewhere rather than join a long queue. Though to be fair, this has improved recently.

They have issues with numbers at The Moon (and it is a problem) but the people they do employ have no idea how to manage a queue. I know it isn't necessarily that easy for some but then don't put them on a mega busy shift at a really busy pub on a matchday...

They don't know what they're doing. But the fault is with the employers really as they aren't training people properly and aren't hiring the right people.

I don't think we've been there pre-match since Leeds last season (at least I think it was Leeds, definitely pre-Christmas). Kenny went up for a round about midday, it wasn't even especially busy, pretty sure he got right next to the till as soon as he went up. He was with Aiki as well, so two big fellas! Come 12.20 they were still stood there unserved and we walked out. It's not worth it.

Was it the Moon where I met you and Mike before the Ipswich game last season, I think it was on a Tuesday evening. It was very busy, but it would be on Matchday.

The Baron at Hinckley have really made an effort to improve their level of service, and that includes training staff properly. I think they do quite well, but obviously it isn't as busy as a pub in Wolverhampton when Wolves are at home.

Yeah, that was The Moon.

The Litten (or the George Wallis as it now is, but I can't get used to calling it that) probably has more people in but they always sort out the service properly. Just a bog standard pub but they employ the right type. Whatever people think of that place, I know I can go down to the bar and be back again with a full round in under five minutes no matter how packed it is.

We went in the Litten Tree before and after the game against Doncaster Rovers in our promotion season. I don't think I have ever seen a pub so busy.

Not an expert on beer, but yesterday I went to the Wallaw in Blyth. It is a Wetherspoon, say no more, but the Art Deco, in the old cinema building was marvelous. I went to the toilets 4 times just to check the beautiful design out. The most glamorous toilets I have ever been to, unbelievable.
If you ever go to Blyth, check the building out, especially the toilets. Maybe give the food a miss though.

If you want to see the crème de la crème of pub toilets, you need to go to the Philharmonic in Liverpool.

Not an expert on beer, but yesterday I went to the Wallaw in Blyth. It is a Wetherspoon, say no more, but the Art Deco, in the old cinema building was marvelous. I went to the toilets 4 times just to check the beautiful design out. The most glamorous toilets I have ever been to, unbelievable.
If you ever go to Blyth, check the building out, especially the toilets. Maybe give the food a miss though.

As requested Steve...

Is that you on the camera? :icon_mrgreen:

Apparently every single Wetherspoons in the country has a bespoke carpet. All of them are designed to make your eyes hurt, mind.

I think the Moon's was last vacuumed in 1994.

Back