• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

I thought that taking the lid off and exposing the beer to any air was bad during this stage?

As long as everything is sanitised before it makes contact with the beer, popping the lid to quickly add a sugar solution will be absolutely fine. There's enough alcohol in the beer to kill of any little nasties.

Most people have a separate bucket that they will rack the beer into, leaving the sediment and gunk behind in the fermentation bucket. Again, no issues really with exposure for that amount of time.

Awesome, thanks for all the info Will.

I'm brewing a Pale Ale so was thinking of bottle conditioning for 3 weeks. Any thoughts on that?

3 weeks will be fine mate. Only really darker beers that need longer to mature.

8a2ef132f778d8682810aad26fdf50fd.jpg

Was just reading over the brewing process, and there was something I missed.

There was a 1.5kg can of malt that came with the brew kit. I emptied that into my brew and stirred but the instructions say to wash out the can with hot water to get every last bit of malt out. I did not do this step.

Will this affect the taste of fermentation?

Nah, it will just mean there probably weren't quite as many sugars in the wort. It, therefore, might not be quite as high an abv as it states on the kit, but overall flavour shouldn't be affected by any noticeable degree.

Did you take any hydrometer readings?

yes. 1.048

Also, Im worried that I didnt boil the wort long enough.

I boiled 3 ltrs of water, added the brew kit, added the malt and immediately turned off the hob, stirring the liquid for 5 mins before transferring to the fermenter.

Leeds has informed me that BCA have bought a pub in Stourbridge - which I've just seen confirmed on Twitter. Which happens to be on the pub crawl route from Wollaston to Stourbridge, and is literally a minute's walk from the Royal Exchange (Bathams pub). That pub crawl route is now insanely good. Going to have to do it again soon, after a day at the egg chasing which is located at the very end of the route.

Rugby club
Forresters (Enville)
Plough (Hobsons/Enville)
Unicorn (Bathams)
Grahams Place (various)
Katy Kitzgeralds (various)
Queens Head (new BCA venue)
Royal Exchange (Bathams)

Crazy. And that's not every pub on the route, either - only those I know serve a really decent pint. Plenty of decent places in town now (a 2 minute walk from the end of the route) as well if anyone is left standing!

yes. 1.048

Also, Im worried that I didnt boil the wort long enough.

I boiled 3 ltrs of water, added the brew kit, added the malt and immediately turned off the hob, stirring the liquid for 5 mins before transferring to the fermenter.

That OG looks fine for a 4% pale mate. I wouldn't worry.

You normally boil for an hour, but that's when you've extracted sugar from grain and are using actual hops. No idea when it comes to extract kit stuff, I'm afraid.

Leeds has informed me that BCA have bought a pub in Stourbridge - which I've just seen confirmed on Twitter. Which happens to be on the pub crawl route from Wollaston to Stourbridge, and is literally a minute's walk from the Royal Exchange (Bathams pub). That pub crawl route is now insanely good. Going to have to do it again soon, after a day at the egg chasing which is located at the very end of the route.

Rugby club
Forresters (Enville)
Plough (Hobsons/Enville)
Unicorn (Bathams)
Grahams Place (various)
Katy Kitzgeralds (various)
Queens Head (new BCA venue)
Royal Exchange (Bathams)

Crazy. And that's not every pub on the route, either - only those I know serve a really decent pint. Plenty of decent places in town now (a 2 minute walk from the end of the route) as well if anyone is left standing!
Sounds like a very good pub crawl. Never ventured that way drinking, I will have to add it to the list.

Three pubs in Brum today:

The Windsor (fucking shit)
Trocadero (alright)
Shakespeare (good)

I don't really know where I'm going round here so it's been a bit of a blind foray. Still in the latter, putting off my train until the rush hour has finished.

d53b815ec38997330d04bb15294250c3.jpg

If you want to stay close to the station try the Post Office Vaults.

If you want to stay close to the station try the Post Office Vaults.
I need to *get* to the station, not dick around in pubs on my own all night procrastinating :icon_lol:

When you go down to the platforms look for any blood splatter on the steps from when the wife fell down them last Saturday night.

I'm getting the 7.05. Definitely. Finding this Post Office place, one in there and I'm gone.

Google Maps is fucking shit at finding pubs. Had to resort to actual talking to people to get here.

It's alright. Wouldn't go wild for it. Insanely warm in here.

Google Maps is $#@!ing $#@! at finding pubs. Had to resort to actual talking to people to get here.

It's alright. Wouldn't go wild for it. Insanely warm in here.

I'd have stayed in the Shakespeare. Decent boozer that.

Back