• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

It was the missus who pointed it out when she read the bank statements. She told me to buy more so we could use the boxes when we move house, I was expecting a punch in the face.

a814b1d75602eefb101640cdc97c0fd6.jpg

Hoping there's some of that on tap at Brewdog or Tilt today.

Nice one, I may have to order some from HB but they're limiting to two cans per customer. Tilt have run out, I just sent Rich a text. Says they've got Into The Haze on though so that should do nicely.

Have HB still got some? I had heard that online had run out and the only chance was retail. Into the Haze is good.

Managed to get to the bottom of a bottle from Brewdog for the first time ever, without pouring it down the sink anyway. Jet Black Heart, not one of my favourites though, doubt I'd have it again given a choice.

Managed to get to the bottom of a bottle from Brewdog for the first time ever, without pouring it down the sink anyway. Jet Black Heart, not one of my favourites though, doubt I'd have it again given a choice.
Too sweet and milky for my liking. Don't mind a milk stout if it's got a bit more depth of flavour, but Jet Black Heart falls short on that front for me.

Ironically Jet Black Heart would be one that I would pour down the sink.

Too sweet and milky for my liking. Don't mind a milk stout if it's got a bit more depth of flavour, but Jet Black Heart falls short on that front for me.
Just seemed a bit plain for me compared to a lot of other stouts/porters, some bitterness but otherwise a bit bland.

Have HB still got some? I had heard that online had run out and the only chance was retail. Into the Haze is good.

I haven't looked to be honest. Into the Haze was really good, as was Paradox Rye.

My homebrew is nearing the end of the fermentation period. I will be bottling this weekend.

Does anyone know at what temperature the bottles need to be kept at?

I was strict about the fermentation bucket being kept at 20 degrees as I read that anything below will affect the taste. But what about during maturation? Also, how much sugar should I add to each bottle?

I kept mine at room temp although some people advocate much colder.

My homebrew is nearing the end of the fermentation period. I will be bottling this weekend.

Does anyone know at what temperature the bottles need to be kept at?

I was strict about the fermentation bucket being kept at 20 degrees as I read that anything below will affect the taste. But what about during maturation? Also, how much sugar should I add to each bottle?

What size bottles are you using? You can buy carbonation drops from Wilkos - they're just little sugar tabs designed to prime a 500 ml bottle. Otherwise it's about a teaspoon per bottle.

It might be easier to batch prime the whole lot in another bucket if you have one available.

With regards temp, room temp is ok as long as it doesn't get too warm (above about 21-22oC) as this will lead to the yeast producing unwanted fruity esters. Cooler is better as long as it's not too cold, as it will take much longer for the yeast and sugar to do it's thing. Garage or cellar would be ideal. I've got some IPA bottle conditioning in my shed which should be good by Saturday and will have been in the bottle for 2 weeks.

You could also add a dissolved sugar solution (boile 100g sugar in 500ml water) to your fermentation bucket (I noticed you had a bottling wand from your posts on FB), just be gentle stirring it in, and leave it 10 mintues for the sediment (trub) to settle back down before bottling.

What size bottles are you using? You can buy carbonation drops from Wilkos - they're just little sugar tabs designed to prime a 500 ml bottle. Otherwise it's about a teaspoon per bottle.

It might be easier to batch prime the whole lot in another bucket if you have one available.

With regards temp, room temp is ok as long as it doesn't get too warm (above about 21-22oC) as this will lead to the yeast producing unwanted fruity esters. Cooler is better as long as it's not too cold, as it will take much longer for the yeast and sugar to do it's thing. Garage or cellar would be ideal. I've got some IPA bottle conditioning in my shed which should be good by Saturday and will have been in the bottle for 2 weeks.

Awesome, thanks for all the info Will.

I'm brewing a Pale Ale so was thinking of bottle conditioning for 3 weeks. Any thoughts on that?

You could also add a dissolved sugar solution (boile 100g sugar in 500ml water) to your fermentation bucket (I noticed you had a bottling wand from your posts on FB), just be gentle stirring it in, and leave it 10 mintues for the sediment (trub) to settle back down before bottling.

I thought that taking the lid off and exposing the beer to any air was bad during this stage?

Back