• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

The Royal London re-opens tomorrow. Sneak peek at the bar:

16124259_264646700634911_728015489455882240_n.jpg

Not much of a craft offering really. From what I can make out:

Brewdog - Punk IPA
Meantime - Yakima Red
Blue Moon
Sam Adams - Boston Lager

Can't make out what the stout it...

Looks like Jaipur on cask, which is cool. Hobgoblin, however, certainly isn't!

It's all a bit safe and mainstream, surprise surprise!

Bar sells what people buy, quick, hold the front page!

It's hardly THAT mainstream FFS! I think it looks alright.

:D

We live in a C- town I suppose.

It's hardly THAT mainstream FFS! I think it looks alright.

It's mainstream craft.

Brewdog - Biggest craft brewery in the UK
Meantime - first craft brewery to be bought by a macro
Samuel Adams - one of the biggest craft breweries in America available in every supermarket
Blue Moon - probably one of the biggest selling Ameircan wheat beers owned by MillerCoors

But yeah, it's "alright".

The thing is, it's exactly what I was expecting. No better.

Nothing to say it'll be those on offer forever and a day though, is it...

It looks a thousand times better than the absolute shit tip that had been polluting that corner of town for the last decade and a half so that's a start. Small steps. And way better than it just being closed down as happens to tons of places up and down the country every week.

It's infinitely better than it's predecessor though.

Nothing to say it'll be those on offer forever and a day though, is it...

It looks a thousand times better than the absolute shit tip that had been polluting that corner of town for the last decade and a half so that's a start. Small steps. And way better than it just being closed down as happens to tons of places up and down the country every week.

No, but that's obvsiously the price point at which they're buying though.

It's fine. I'm not moaning actually, just being overly criticial that it's being played so safe.

But yeah, loads better than what it was, even if the last time I went in there was probably the night Liverpool won the Champions League!

Most people don't know that much about craft - would this not be a decent start to make them aware of it, which is step 1 to this craft keg utopia you dream about? Seriously - most of those beers will be totally new to the majority of beer drinkers.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that range of beers. And Jaipur on tap is a fucking win and a half.

It's a world away from the halcyon days of Strawberry Brothers Cider being the most appetising thing on the bar.

I know I know. I didn't say there was anything wrong with it (apart from Hobgoblin!) - it's just a bit safe.

Especially when you compare it to the place I linked to opening in the Jewerly Quarter.

Jaipur and Punk are decent for a 'mainstream' pub in Wolvo. Blue Moon and Sam Adams are fucking horrid though.

You also have to factor in that not many people go to a pub for a session and enjoy switching drinks every single time they go up to the bar. Most people pick one and stick with it. So if there are 2-3 decent offerings then for most folk that is enough, they don't need eight to pick from (@ £5/pint on cask, natch)

I know I know. I didn't say there was anything wrong with it (apart from Hobgoblin!) - it's just a bit safe.

Especially when you compare it to the place I linked to opening in the Jewerly Quarter.
Is that the Lone Wolf place? I'm going there later to try it out. Hoping it's as good as the Indian Brewery.

Jolly Pumpkin - Fuego del Otoño. 6.1% Biere de Garde brewed with chestnuts and spices. Absolutely stunning.

You also have to factor in that not many people go to a pub for a session and enjoy switching drinks every single time they go up to the bar. Most people pick one and stick with it. So if there are 2-3 decent offerings then for most folk that is enough, they don't need eight to pick from (@ £5/pint on cask, natch)

That wasn't the point. I'm all for a small selection if it's of a good standard.

That wasn't the point. I'm all for a small selection if it's of a good standard.

Wolvo just isn't going to be that place. Plenty of areas in the Midlands that do, Wolves just isn't one of them.

Have you been to 1000 Trades in the JQ too Langers?

C3Lxe-6WMAAJnES.jpg

Back