• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

You can find Titanic all over the country - I really like it.

I think the brewery is in Stoke - they do a superb beer called Icerberg (original, I know!) and it's excellent. Was that the one you had, Frank?

They also do a stout but not being a huge fan of stout, I don't tend to have it very often.

Yep, Titanic is the brewery and all of the beers are named after said voyage as the Captain of the vessel was from Stoke. Done the brewery tour twice and it's great. Their porters (particularly the plum) are violent but lovely stuff. Strangely the Captain Smith's goes down the best (coat please................)

There is an excellent brewery in Stone called Lymestone which serve some brilliant beers although they get a bit pokey when you start drinking the tombstone at 6.6%.

Nice beer titanic, can be a fruity sometimes.

They have some good pubs too, couple are in Stafford - serve good beer and food, that's it.

And that is all we ask, good beer and good food.

Apparently, Iceberg will be the guest ale in May in darkest Lincolnshire.

Yep, Titanic is the brewery and all of the beers are named after said voyage as the Captain of the vessel was from Stoke. Done the brewery tour twice and it's great. Their porters (particularly the plum) are violent but lovely stuff. Strangely the Captain Smith's goes down the best (coat please................)

There is an excellent brewery in Stone called Lymestone which serve some brilliant beers although they get a bit pokey when you start drinking the tombstone at 6.6%.

There used to be an excellent brewery in Stone called Joules which was bought out by Bass in the early 70's and I believe has been reborn in Market Drayton (their original place of origin IIRC). Is Slaters in Eccleshall still brewing?

The Joules beer is superb and as far as I know they are following the same commercial plan as Titanic and buying up local pubs to put their ales in, makes them more cost effective apparently. Bloody good beer and served in a pub within walking distance on a decent summers day. Slaters are still brewing in Stafford I think, but I've not seen it on tap anywhere local which is odd and they have some tough competition in Joules, Titanic and Lymestone.

Any small ale breweries in Yorkshire, Leeds?

I used to have a maths teacher who raved about the original Joules beer, but it had disappeared before I was old enough to drink. He was a huge Wolves fan as well. Geeky scientific fact - it was one of the Joule brewing family that gave his name to the SI unit of energy.

The Joules beer is superb and as far as I know they are following the same commercial plan as Titanic and buying up local pubs to put their ales in, makes them more cost effective apparently. Bloody good beer and served in a pub within walking distance on a decent summers day. Slaters are still brewing in Stafford I think, but I've not seen it on tap anywhere local which is odd and they have some tough competition in Joules, Titanic and Lymestone.

Any small ale breweries in Yorkshire, Leeds?

There is an excellent one in leeds http://www.leedsbrewery.co.uk/.

I had a nice draught ale that was on as a guest beer last weekend. It was Adnams Kristal White ale. If any of the you like German Weissbier it had that hint of aroma and taste but in a normal beer rather then the more gassy Weissbiers.

I used to have a maths teacher who raved about the original Joules beer, but it had disappeared before I was old enough to drink. He was a huge Wolves fan as well. Geeky scientific fact - it was one of the Joule brewing family that gave his name to the SI unit of energy.

I was fortunately old enough to enjoy 'many a pint' of Joules Bitter or Stone. The brewery used to have some cracking pubs too.

As the story goes it was two brothers. One spent his life for the good of humanity the other became a physicist.

Francis and William Joule born in the mid 1700s moved in different directions, but both to brew ale. William moved to Salford and although he and his descendents brewed successfully in Lancashire for many years, this side of the family have since gained most fame from William’s grandson, the famous physicist, James Prescott Joule. Although James, notably born in the Salford brewery on Christmas Eve in 1818, took an active role in brewing, his real interest was in physics. He became a pre-eminent physicist and gave his name to the standard measure of energy which he discovered, ‘the Joule’.

http://www.joulesbrewery.co.uk/brewery/joules_story.php

Has anyone had an Orkney's Red MacGregor before? I've just opened a pint of it and the caramel is really pronounced. It also lack some of the "stoniness" I expect from UK ales, Scottish red's in particular. Is that just normal with this particular brew or does it sound like my pint was past its prime?

bdrink.jpg

Yes, I would try a beer brewed with oysters, chocolate and beet sugar. Sounds good.

That chart doesn't work. I'm definitely a snob but I wouldn't say anything other than 'yes' if offered a beer.

Lidl are doing 4 bottles of Marston's Pedigree Pale Ale for £5. Not a bad drop.

They do that on tap in one of my local pubs in Yorkshire. It is a nice drop actually.

Went in the Royal Oak on the Compton Road on Saturday. Was drinking Cereal Thriller - never heard of it before, but very nice it was.

They had Cereal Thriller in The Clarendon too, but I can't resist the Boondoggle.
What did it taste like?

Back