• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

tumblr_ljqcpip62d1qafrh6.gif

Thought I'd give it a go, I've got into sours this year and have been out of chilli beers as well so might as well. I've been impressed with the Mad Hatter brews I've had this year as well.

Omnipollo - Nebuchadnezzar. 8.5% IPA. Absolutely amazing. Nothing less than I expected from these guys, can't believe it's taken me so long to try this beer.

Pint of Harpoon IPA in the Euston Tap.

5 Points - London Smoke. 7.8% smoked porter. Smoked beers aren't really my thing but this one is quite subtle.

My HB box hasn't turned up (they usually arrive in two days) so I checked my account and it has the carrier as Yodel, so I try the URL provided to track the parcel and of course Yodel have no info. They also have no info when I manually put the tracking number in. I'm sure HB used to use ParcelForce, if they have switched to Yodel I'll be ordering from elsewhere in future. Yodel are fucking gash.

I had a Brewdog Santa Paws last night. It says it's a scotch ale, so a question to those that know, is a scotch ale supposed to be a cross between a stout and bitter with the body of an IPA?

It was a strange beast, mostly tasting of coffee with a decent malty backbone. Not a lot of hops but had an IPA body.

I had a Brewdog Santa Paws last night. It says it's a scotch ale, so a question to those that know, is a scotch ale supposed to be a cross between a stout and bitter with the body of an IPA?

It was a strange beast, mostly tasting of coffee with a decent malty backbone. Not a lot of hops but had an IPA body.
I scotch ale is meant to be strong, sweet and malty. I believe they boil the wort for so long that it starts to caramelise and give a kinda burnt sugar flavour. You can usually feel the high abv with a slight bitterness and dark fruit flavour.

By the looks of that Santa Paws, Brewdog are unsurprisingly not adgering to the style.

Talking of which, my brewer workmate gave me a bottle of their scotch ale we he aged in a whisky barrel for 6 months. That'll be consumed over the festive period, no doubt.

I scotch ale is meant to be strong, sweet and malty. I believe they boil the wort for so long that it starts to caramelise and give a kinda burnt sugar flavour. You can usually feel the high abv with a slight bitterness and dark fruit flavour.

By the looks of that Santa Paws, Brewdog are unsurprisingly not adgering to the style.

There was definitely an almost burnt taste to it but I just took that as the roasted coffee flavour. It was only 5% so not convinced there was enough booze in it for that high ABV taste and I'm not skilled enough to taste the dark fruits.

If those are the flavours I don't think Brewdog have achieved that. I like the idea of the whisky barrel version though as I really like the Innis and Gunn whisky barrel ale.

I might give Santa Paws a try now, I'm not big on scotch ales.

Honest Brew have got back to me and my box hasn't been despatched yet. Pretty strange for them not to have shipped an order by the third day, its normally here by now.

My local Tesco Express hae month old Oskar Blues...

Trains from Waterloo are ducked so a nice pint of Tiny Rebel Cwtch in the Stage Door.

You jammy fucker. Mine has only just started stocking Vocation. Which ones have they got in?
Just their Pilsner and the Pinner IPA. Vocation and Jaipur in there too!

Trains from Waterloo are ducked so a nice pint of Tiny Rebel Cwtch in the Stage Door.
Very nice!

Got a Electric Bear - Persuasion on the old BeerBods in a minute. Hoppy low abv golden ale. Going to follow it up with a Howling Hops - Double Chocolate Coffee Toffee Vanilla Milk Porter.

88f5508a9fde21436537f5f9ab57b64b.jpg

Back