• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

It's more of a flavourful, smoky spice than the Brewdog shit but it still wasn't pleasant. Shame as there's a nice red ale hiding in there.

It's not quite as bad as I was expecting to be honest, like you say, the backbone of it is a very decent smoked red ale. The aftertaste is proper bitter though and the only real thing I'm getting off the chilli is a fucking heartburn feeling, nothing in the mouth. Been there, done it, won't be doing it again.

Brewdog Black Hammer - Quality as usual.

Crate West Coast IPA - Very light, subtle hop profile and even more subtle citrus fruits.

Buxton Axe Edge - No more needs saying.

Brooklyn - Post Road. 5% pumpkin ale. Nicely spiced pale ale.

Was in some 3 for £X offer in M&S too, will have to get some more next time I'm out as just went for a variety last time.

I remember you saying you liked Innis & Gunn, you should try and get your hands on some Ola Dubh. It's basically Old Engine Oil that's been aged in Highland Park barrels.

Wylam Club of Slaughters - 8.8% Imp Stout. Couldn't get to grips with this one at all, all I could get out of it was a bad aniseed mouthwash taste. Gave up after this one as I wouldn't have tasted anything else properly.

Worked my way through these badboys last night:
39d5e7e3ca5418a12456355600530101.jpg

All bang on examples of the style.
The Vienna Lager was dark amber, slightly roasty and sweet with bags of flavour.
The Buckskin Blonde was light, citrussy, dry and refreshing.
The Dark Bay Porter was delicious. Roasted malts, dark chocolate and a hint of chocolate. Reminded me of Five Points Railway Porter.
The Pumpkin Pie was well rounded, with a balanced but effective amount of spice to counter the sweetness from the pumpkin. Not my favourite style but it was done well.
The Palomino pale is the jewel in the crown though. Proper hop monster. Bags of citrus, grapefruit, peach and pine. Ace beer.

Off to the brewery shop this morning to grab some more for the football. I think they've just bottled a Simcoe single hop and a Red Rye IPA, which if the others are anything to go by, should be awesome.

Looks top shit Will. Nice one.

Got a right selection headache tonight, no work tomorrow and dad has the girls for the night so I can squeeze a couple more than normal in. Might go for a sour to start, a big DIPA or three followed by some coffee stouts/porters.

Unless we end up over Birmingham then it's anybody's guess!

It you could just have a cup of tea and a French Fancy....

I remember you saying you liked Innis & Gunn, you should try and get your hands on some Ola Dubh. It's basically Old Engine Oil that's been aged in Highland Park barrels.

I'll try to remember the name, I do try to keep an eye out for things that are barrel aged to find an alternative to that I&G goodness.

Bathams in the Western. Tasting really nice today.

More Wild Horse beer this afternoon took the edge off the match. Red Rye IPA. Love this style and this was a damn good example of the style. And a 4 day old bottle of Simcoe Single Hop IPA. Dank, citrus, pineapple, pine. Another absolute winner. Loads better than the single hop Ace of Simcoe that BrewDog released earlier in the year.

Also just had a pint of Sneck Lifter in my folks local for the first time in about 5 years. Forgot how tasty it was. Really decent pint.

Signature Brew Stagediver - 7.2% DIPA. Really thick and boozy body full of malt and toffee. Big bitter, piney, resinous hopped up finish. Impressive, especially at the price point.

Birrificio Del Ducato Machete - 7.2% DIPA. A really clean, crisp DIPA bursting with juicy grapefruit. Fucking glorious.

The world may be ending - brewdog now do Punk in 500ml cans.

Don't know if its new or not, currently 6 cans for £15, seems a bit steep though.

I went to the Broadway Cinema in Nottingham today and had a pint of Adnams Blackshore Stout. Very dark but not bad. Not great though either.

Back