• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Tonight's BeerBods is one you may have heard of - Bathams Best Bitter - https://beerbods.co.uk/this-weeks-beer/bathams-brewery-best-bitter/

8013.jpg

Be interesting to see what the other subscribers make of it. Just a shame it can't be served on cask to everyone!

Anchor - Brotherhood Steam. 5.6% California Common. An amped up, dry hopped version of Anchor - Steam. Really, really nice.

If you've got a budget, and a decent idea of what kind of stuff he likes, I'd happily put a box together from the Wine Seller and drop it round.

How much do beers cost in there? I was only thinking of getting him about 5 or 6 beers for around £15 (hence looking at the supermarket ranges). I haven't drunk with him for a while as most of our drinking was done pre-football and I hardly go to matches these days but he's happy to try anything when it comes to beers, he'll tend to order Guinness or bitters in the pub. A stout or porter with coffee flavours would probably go down well but he also likes both darker and pale ales. I'm after a mix of stuff he's never tried before really TBH. I got him a Beer 52 range last year (that box they had on offer that took FOREVER to arrive) and he was chuffed to try a load of beers he hadn't heard of.

How much do beers cost in there? I was only thinking of getting him about 5 or 6 beers for around £15 (hence looking at the supermarket ranges). I haven't drunk with him for a while as most of our drinking was done pre-football and I hardly go to matches these days but he's happy to try anything when it comes to beers, he'll tend to order Guinness or bitters in the pub. A stout or porter with coffee flavours would probably go down well but he also likes both darker and pale ales. I'm after a mix of stuff he's never tried before really TBH. I got him a Beer 52 range last year (that box they had on offer that took FOREVER to arrive) and he was chuffed to try a load of beers he hadn't heard of.
They do a few offers. 3 Beavertown/Magic Rock/Fourpure cans for £6.50, 3 Moor for £7 etc. They go right to the other end of the scale, £6.80 for an Omnipollo stout, Brewdog Black Eyed Imp King for about £9 a can etc.

£15 could easily get you 5 cracking beers.

Looks like a couple of semidetached houses!

I can't walk to it.

Booooooo Bathams out!

Anchor - Breckle's Brown. 6% citra hopped brown ale.

I really should get into brown ales more, I generally tend to give them a miss.

A hopped up brown ale is a thing of beauty. Cloudwater did one last year which was superb. Arbour - Boomtown Brown, Howling Hops - Running Beer and Weird Beard - Little Things That Kill are all amazing.
In fact, one of my all time favourite beers is a brown ale; Beavertown - Barrel Aged Moose Fang. My god do I wish they'd make that again.

Weird Beard - Little Things That Kill are all amazing.

That is indeed a gorgeous brew. I know I like them if they're good it's just not my go-to style, but I suppose my new found love of sours proves I should broaden my horizons a little.

Bit of an odd re-brand that. Marstons fonts are pretty well-known in the old format, and I am not convinced that this will actually generate the appeal among younger drinkers they are going for, while the new fonts and labels are hardly appealling to their traditional customer base. Definitely an odd one.

In other beer news - Great Western annual beer festival next weekend. I am popping up there for a pint later so I will try and get some info on the beers coming in to pass on.

Just bizarre, why bother? I'd imagine sales are pretty good of all of those beers.

Exactly. Does more to alienate than attract new customers, IMO. If they want to attract "younger drinkers" then they need to make more modern beer.

And what's the point of renaming Burton Bitter to Saddle Tank??

And Pearl Jet? Really? Pearl Jet?? Do they not run these ideas through a Fnaar detector first?

I agree on those points. Fnaar names are hardly uncommon in beer circles, and they can be the object of some amusement and raise a bit of brand awareness, but Pearl Jet is actually just a really crap name. Saddle Tank I can sort of get, but Burton bitter was a massive brand in itself and people are going to take some time to get used to that change.

Regarding the "younger drinkers" thing, why don't they come clean and admit the new fonts and bottles have been re-designed to try and get into the craft market? It is obvious from the design. And it is destined to fail as it is the PRODUCT rather than the labelling that is the selling point. Burton products are middle-of-the-road and inherently very "safe". None of that appeals to the craft market from what I can see (you guys know better than me, but I don't think I am wrong). If they have capacity at the new revamped brewery they would be better off creating new and exciting lines to try and get into that market rather than hoping a whacky label is going to fool the craft drinker (which it won't).

They did look a bit old fashioned TBH but it does seem like a waste of time and money.

But - as Brewdog have showed - branding works wonders.

They already tried that and failed with the Revisionist line of beers, because ultimately the weren't good enough to stand up against the competition they were trying to take on.

To make good craft beer costs too much money for a brewery like Marstons to use up brewing capacity on. Hence why they turn to the marketing department.

They did look a bit old fashioned TBH but it does seem like a waste of time and money.

But - as Brewdog have showed - branding works wonders.

Brewdog have the beers to back it up though - to some degree. That's not to say I like all of Brewdog agressive marketing etc.

Back