• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

There was an awful lot if Thunderbird "wine" drunk in my uni days. It was cheap and strong - can't think of, or at least remember, a single other redeeming feature.
Seasick Steve's song about it?

I had a night on the Buckfast at uni once. Never again. Semen of Satan.

It was all about vodka red bull when I was 18-21. They used to do doubles for a quid at Ramshackle at the Canal Club before 11pm. That was a good night out!
I celebrated my 21st birthday at Ramshackle. It was a quality night out.

I started Uni around the time alcopops first started getting popular. Every Wednesday we went to the local It's a Scream bar and I'd drink a million bottles of Reef as they were £1 a bottle. It was like having a night out on ridiculous amounts of orange juice except you got really drunk. Aftershock was a new drink then too so we had tons of shots of them.

I tried the proper Irn Bru once when some came in to the brewery. Really strong dark stuff. Not sure I could stomach more than a small bottle of it.

The worst undrinkable stuff is things like Skol Super, Special Brew or Gold Label. All rancid and overpowered.

We exported a lot of that stuff to Russia by the artic load. They love it over there.

The most time I have lost with alcohol is after coming in at Tangier airport at 10pm to be greeted by a bunch of Morrocan police with machine guns (they weren't fussed about the alcohol though did remove one of our party to get a haircut as we had been warned about their dislike of long hair on men - this was 1971) - then waking up on a beach the next morning on the Atlantic coast at the campsite about 12 miles out of Tangier's with an empty bottle of scotch & another of coca cola.

Quick swim in the Atlantic surf & we were good to go again - not sure I could do that now

I've not managed to wake up outdoors yet, I've always managed to find my bed!

My brummie Villa mate woke up in a hedge a few times, but he was a much heavier drinker than me.

I've not managed to wake up outdoors yet, I've always managed to find my bed!

My brummie Villa mate woke up in a hedge a few times, but he was a much heavier drinker than me.

It's the only time I managed to do it - though on the same holiday we did have a 3 day party in a hotel in Marrakech where the tour parties met & don't think that anyone was sober for any part of that stay - I was only 20 at the time so can be excused, I'm a much more responsible individual now

Mad dog? Another favourite of mine back in the day.

Then there was the tonic... I know Buckfast isn't really a thing down south but for some reason it's huge up here. So many (terrible) memories.

When we went to Berlin we bumped into a group of Scottish lads where we drinking before the match and they were all coked off their tits telling us about an amazing place they'd found, amazing because it sold Buckfast, and they'd pretty much filled their room with it, one of them was super excited to tell us that he'd woke up about 10am and been drinking a bottle while he had a shower!

The only time I've not got home was in Kavos '91 when I was 18 and having fallen out with my mates went to sleep on a very dusty chest freezer outside someone's house. Was woken up at about 7am by an old lady shouting at me and chased me off with one of those old fashioned type brooms

Snakebite with a Campari poured in was the team drink for a cricket team I played for. Anyone getting a 50 or 5 wickets had to buy a jug of it. The interesting thing was that the Campari just sat on top and didn't mix in.

Madness PA picked up and after reading good things about the Elvis Juice decided to add a bottle of that to the basket to see what the fuss is about

14199164_10154530942964443_7414480681406043896_n.jpg

Currently sat in Brewdog Cardiff, the barman has said they should be serving Chilli Hammer in a few weeks :)

Putting together a beer tasting night on Saturday for a few mates. This is the lineup:

iz1NKDrM4qmV5BpNqJeB8-R2akN_c1B9Ec0Tgt7Yayvx81Zmx__5I1KSd-MLNqSwUPtESGpdiF7xRtjGtKxOFmFh_df-D8khMdn3PTi0KVlAhGU98scHQicopire6CScKGduRAD_WqjotXOp8r8vXREGg6RmJAcM8JwjAtnrRTkODMfA-Hu1IT4WKKgwtlWCBGrCJwG8qnjJEIXgG-oewye6Sj9eUFiPWQPCCQ2TAqrPANw0WiMb9kI45R1T2nuDc3AFQQWq_ZbT-tNfK0hDZ8Lbq6vUnZCSxNVurQYkgtx162mcuLM_Nqj30CGXb38NttdOKoX_aQM4xd0Mi_pAWY1Ttl_QKESLsbW4eYCNxHBH_388IlVn16IqdhaXLHee4ZFSa0Yw6RNkNW3y6k3ZGytbAI2G7KGjqeiHu6INI3RlfY8MUNDLtFGJ1IFTvet1Yq4K6SnImUdio68Yc0zPXW-HJG7nUjRFMl-WJqzj1csyoHgLpqKccP8d_oSJwGOnBEotKzxJhfTfS8HIsgBS3dhOEln_kVSG0ep0ZpG_oO7hVqWXiSvmJmgAdLQOgxUEguAemCwF8BcmNtOK5PySlT1udW0Wx4LyDraKExH-GHpeuji8=w1145-h675-no

Moor - Confidence
The Kernel - Pale Ale (Comet)
Penn Craft - Dark Saison
Magic Rock - Cannonball
Penn Craft - Belgian Dubbel
Cloudwater - DIPA v6
De Molen - Heaven & Hell

The 'Penn Craft' beers are my mates homebrew. He's got a proper 3 stainless steel barrel setup with temp controlled conical fermenting vessel. Awesome setup. He brews every weekend and each batch is about 120 bottles. Had a bottle of his Mongrale Pale the other day, which uses hops from each continent. Absolutely spot on. Plenty of bitterness, hoppy aroma and flavour and a good medium body with gentle carbonation. It almost felt cask conditioned. Of course, he wasn't happy with it...

Can't wait!

Back