• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

I think the most I've paid for a beer is £8.50 for a 500ml bottle of Beavertown Barrel Aged Moose Fang. Which is a Imperial India Brown Ale aged in Armgnac barrels with cocoa nibs and vanilla pods. It was fucking amazing and I wouldn't think twice about buying it for that much again, should they ever remake it.

I think the most I've paid for a beer is £8.50 for a 500ml bottle of Beavertown Barrel Aged Moose Fang. Which is a Imperial India Brown Ale aged in Armgnac barrels with cocoa nibs and vanilla pods. It was fucking amazing and I wouldn't think twice about buying it for that much again, should they ever remake it.

walks-out-o.gif

:)
I drank it on my birthday and it was worth every penny.

There was a time when I'd baulk at such prices, but once in a while would be manageable. The beers I last had, the Dark Start Sunburst was £3 and the pint of Punk IPA was £3.90 and I didn't really flinch.

To be honest I do get the "pay for quality" argument, but I think going to the cinema is a rip off...

Last edited:
Obviously these types of beers are not your everyday ripples and are just special occassion / one-offs but I think it's important to note that even the most expensive, artisanal and exclusive top quality beer is still very much affordable to the common man. Not many other high-end drinks you can say that about.

Obviously these types of beers are not your everyday ripples and are just special occassion / one-offs but I think it's important to note that even the most expensive, artisanal and exclusive top quality beer is still very much affordable to the common man. Not many other high-end drinks you can say that about.

I wouldn't class a top end beer as good a drink as a £50 bottle of red and I've drunk both. No snobbery I just prefer the top end red if we're comparing expensive drinks. I see your point Machin, I paid £8.00 in a pub for an imperial stout (half) from cloudwater (I think) and it was worth every penny and I always think Gamma Ray is worth it at £5.50 a pint too.

But then you can get Titanic plum porter, captain smith, iceberg and MAPA for under £4 a pint in sunny Burslem and they do compare with a lot of top end ales.

If trains had worked out a bit more affordable I'd have been up for that.

Presumably it's sold out??

It's a completely different argument to compare 'high end' beers with wines or spirits. I think it's a complete piss take to charge that much for a beer TBQH.

I guess I'm fortunate to live walking distance from a pub that serves the best beer I have ever tasted that costs me £2.65 for a pint. Happy to try any new flavours (I'll be partaking in a craft beer session with some friends in a couple of weeks - better remortgage the house) but I'm just glad my palette is perfectly happy with a decent variety of local ales that never cost more than £3.50 for a pint!

Still deliberating on whether to go?

If I do it would be a last minute decision which would involve persuading the missus to take the kids to her mates in Cheltenham then me getting the train from there. Not too hopeful of that all falling into place to be honest.

I wouldn't class a top end beer as good a drink as a £50 bottle of red and I've drunk both. No snobbery I just prefer the top end red if we're comparing expensive drinks. I see your point Machin, I paid £8.00 in a pub for an imperial stout (half) from cloudwater (I think) and it was worth every penny and I always think Gamma Ray is worth it at £5.50 a pint too.

But then you can get Titanic plum porter, captain smith, iceberg and MAPA for under £4 a pint in sunny Burslem and they do compare with a lot of top end ales.
Ahem, Boslem, ahem.

It's a completely different argument to compare 'high end' beers with wines or spirits. I think it's a complete piss take to charge that much for a beer TBQH.

I guess I'm fortunate to live walking distance from a pub that serves the best beer I have ever tasted that costs me £2.65 for a pint. Happy to try any new flavours (I'll be partaking in a craft beer session with some friends in a couple of weeks - better remortgage the house) but I'm just glad my palette is perfectly happy with a decent variety of local ales that never cost more than £3.50 for a pint!
At running the risk of being repetitive, I can go to the Refectory (Northern Monk Tap) and get a pint of cask True North for £2.50. Similarly I could pay over twice that for a half of MN (keykeg) 822. Both exceptionally good, but a world apart.

I wouldn't class a top end beer as good a drink as a £50 bottle of red and I've drunk both. No snobbery I just prefer the top end red if we're comparing expensive drinks.

No, I get that. I wasn't trying to directly compare a top end wine with a top end beer. My point was that the best quality most expensive beers are still affordable. I can buy them once in a while and taste the best of that type of drink that there is around. I could never dream of justifying buying a top end bottle of vintage wine as they cost 100s and 1000s of pounds. That's deemed acceptable, whereas paying 2x or 3x the average for a beer is 'taking the piss'.

No, I get that. I wasn't trying to directly compare a top end wine with a top end beer. My point was that the best quality most expensive beers are still affordable. I can buy them once in a while and taste the best of that type of drink that there is around. I could never dream of justifying buying a top end bottle of vintage wine as they cost 100s and 1000s of pounds. That's deemed acceptable, whereas paying 2x or 3x the average for a beer is 'taking the piss'.

Who deems that acceptable who doesn't think north of £6 for less than a pint of beer is acceptable?

Both are abhorrent prices. The wine moreso, obvs.

Well yeah, maybe my example was a bit extreme. But say £50 for a bottle of wine. Not a big deal. £6 for beer?!?!??!!??!?!? What the fuck!!!!! Extortion!!!!!! Wahhhhhhh.

Well yeah, maybe my example was a bit extreme. But say £50 for a bottle of wine. Not a big deal. £6 for beer?!?!??!!??!?!? What the fuck!!!!! Extortion!!!!!! Wahhhhhhh.

I wouldn't pay £50 for a bottle of wine either! :icon_lol:

Back