• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

I wouldn't mind to be honest. Necking pint after pint of liquid just sends you to the toilet 10 times about an hour later.

I can see the appeal of having shorter measures that has more taste to it. I'd still baulk at the price though.

I would hate it. It would probably make me think at least twice about going to the pub if small measures only were available.

Craft Breweries produce 'session' beers too. Neck Oil from Beavertown, True North and Eternal from Northern Monk for example.

2/3rds of a 6.5% IPA is the perfect amount for me.

I wouldn't mind to be honest. Necking pint after pint of liquid just sends you to the toilet 10 times about an hour later.

I can see the appeal of having shorter measures that has more taste to it. I'd still baulk at the price though.

In a pub, you'd probably be buying a 10%er in a 1/3 pint measure for about £4 - same as a pint of export lager. I know which I would prefer.

So do I.

10%ers just have absolutely zero appeal to me.

Is it so wrong to want a pint of 3.5% to 4.5% like I have for all my drinking life? I like the feel and weight of a pint. I like the amount of liquid that a pint is. Everything about thirds of something super powerful is just anathema to me.

The British pint will never die, the big breweries make too much money and have too much of a strangle hold. The cheaper made beers will forever be made and will forever dominate because it is what the consumer wants and it what the consumer is used to.

They are under threat though, else you wouldn't see such aggressive tactics from your large breweries.

Given the choice, I would rather have a selection of smaller sized beers rather than pints so that I could sample a wider range without getting absolutely wasted. I'm no big drinker though anyway so would have no problem not drinking pints. Plus, if there is a decent range of beers on, once I'm about halfway through my pint I am keen to try something else.

I'm very different. On a night out in the pub I tend to have one beer and stick with it, maybe a maximum of two. Now I know everyone will get all snotty here, but matchday in the Western I start on lager for a couple to quaff and kill any residual thirst and then I tend to go onto Bathams afterward.

I have no great desire to try a load of different ales.

So do I.

10%ers just have absolutely zero appeal to me.

Is it so wrong to want a pint of 3.5% to 4.5% like I have for all my drinking life? I like the feel and weight of a pint. I like the amount of liquid that a pint is. Everything about thirds of something super powerful is just anathema to me.
Paddy, in case you missed it:

If anyone (Paddy?) is off to Bloodstock this year, report back please:

ClZ1YrLWMAAdrlX.jpg

Might be some available on line...

I tried it at the gig in 2015. It was alright actually. Little strong for my tastes but not too bad.

Not going this year so I can't tell if it has changed.

OK :) Thought it was new from how they were talking it up on their social media.

No live stream this year either :(

It was new last year in the VIP area. You got a sample and reasonably sturdy plastic "glass" in your welcome pack. Very dark as I remember but I was quite shitfaced for 96 hours so that could be mistaken.

Tbh, I'd love to see the lines blurred and the distinction between mainstream and craft being lessened. I'd be a happy chap to see a few keg lines in ale pubs such as The Lych Gate and Posada pouring the likes of Brewdog, Magic Rock and Beavertown. Get that to be more commonplace and a lot of the 'us vs them' mentality would dissipate. Get CAMRA on board by dropping their antiquated definition of what they consider to be good/real beer and start promoting the use of pubs that serve a wide range of beers regardless of dispense method.
It's of benefit to absolutely no one that they would endorse a shitty indentikit pubco establishment serving Greene King on cask over a brewery tap room that offers fresh beer on keg.

*Tin foil hat time*

The big breweries are funding CAMRA not to accept keg in an effort to reduce the impact that keg beer will have on the consumption of their beers.

*Tin foil hat time*

The big breweries are funding CAMRA not to accept keg in an effort to reduce the impact that keg beer will have on the consumption of their beers.

....and their plan B will be to start snapping up some of the more successful craft breweries to control what is served in their establishments.

Ha, wouldn't suprise me. There stance seems perverse in this day and age, considering where they came from. The beers they endorse are just the contemporary equivalents of what they campaigned against back in the 70s. Instead of the big 6 breweries, it's now the big 6 pubcos.

Either that or they're just curmudgeonly old farts now.

Be interesting to see the results of their revitalization project, even though it was launched against the backdrop of the head of CAMRA declaring that "there's no such thing as craft beer".... :-/

The strongest ale I've tried in the past 12 months was probably Holdens Master Ale, which was 10%. Only had a half due to the strength - it was about £2 for that half - it was absolutely fantastic but I wouldn't have had more than that half. I think paying £6 for a beer is just ridiculous personally. I'm not getting the 'you pay for quality' when it's that much. I don't mind paying over the odds a bit for a rare or speciality beer once in a while but £6? Fuck that.

CAMRA definitely need to get with the times though - I agree 100% with Machin on that. Time to focus on the pubs more than the ales. They still champion Doom Bar FFS.

I wasn't a fan of the Master Ale. Too sweet for me, just a big malt bomb. It was a nice example of the style, but there are definitely much better strong beers out there. Or much more to my tastes, should I say.

This will make you wince, but I paid £6.80 for a 330ml bottle of Omnipollo Imperial Mud Cake Stout the other day :D

I wasn't a fan of the Master Ale. Too sweet for me, just a big malt bomb. It was a nice example of the style, but there are definitely much better strong beers out there. Or much more to my tastes, should I say.

This will make you wince, but I paid £6.80 for a 330ml bottle of Omnipollo Imperial Mud Cake Stout the other day :D

I assume you paid that after a couple of pints of the Master Ale?

Back