• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Yup. Six quid. Sam raves about it so it was worth a pop.

That's like comparing Findus Crispy Pancakes to Purnell's Beef Wellington...

It makes sense. The benefit of keykeg or keg is that you can have a moron looking after the cellar without cocking the product.

As I mentioned before with the emphasis on quality and the cost of ingredients craft brewers don't want to chance their product which is fine. However I would put a well kept Kashmir against a Punk IPA and the Kashmir would win.

NM produce True North in cask at £2.50 a pint in the Refectory and it's good. Wylam produce a cask version of Jakehead which is very good too. They are different to yhe keg and that will be down to the natural process of cask against the science of keg.

But presumably there'd be no secondary fermentation in that 50L keg, so pulling through a beer engine and calling it cask is a bit devious, is it not?

And to think I grumbled about paying £2.90 for a pint of Abbotts this evening.

Quality costs. I wouldn't think twice about paying £6 for Ten Fidy but I'd kick up a right fuss if I had to fork out £2.90 for shitey Abbotts Ale.

Abbott is reasonable - far, far worse out there.

But presumably there'd be no secondary fermentation in that 50L keg, so pulling through a beer engine and calling it cask is a bit devious, is it not?
No secondary fermentation. No nitrogen either.

Just over twice the price of the Findus Pancakes in this metaphor.

That'll be 4 times the price as you only get half a pint. No doubt it's a better beer and you pay for what you get but Abbott's isn't that bad, certainly drinkable.

You don't have to drink craft ale all the time y'know. I say this of course drinking the Oakham Citra I found in B&M for £1.49 a bottle. Bloody great stuff it is.

It's £1.79 in my local B&M. Robbing bastards!

Brizzle prices for you.

The Inns and Gunn was £1.79 for 660ml of the original and what a top ale that is too.

That'll be 4 times the price as you only get half a pint. No doubt it's a better beer and you pay for what you get but Abbott's isn't that bad, certainly drinkable.

You don't have to drink craft ale all the time y'know. I say this of course drinking the Oakham Citra I found in B&M for £1.49 a bottle. Bloody great stuff it is.

Well, 355ml so closer to 2/3rds. But again, extrapolating volume is a complete red herring..

I don't always drink craft beer, btw, but I would say that Oakham Citra was one of the first 'craft' beers made in the UK :D

I'm afraid the price completely puts me off even sampling these things. I can't see myself ever understanding the craft beer movement .

A pint of True North for £3.40 or £2.50 on cask at Northern Monk Tap isn't extortionate. How much for a Carling in the Western? As for the craft thing, it's about quality not quantity. The cost of the (largely imported) ingredients is higher, the ABVs can be a lot higher too.

I get all that. Thing is, apart from at football my only exposure to beer is a quick quaff of a pint on the way home from work. I can't see craft beer ever having an appeal to me.

I'm afraid the price completely puts me off even sampling these things. I can't see myself ever understanding the craft beer movement .

They're not all that expensive btw. The one Lycan paid £6 for is a ~10% imperial stout. Not one to neck before the match!

That's the thing though. I am sure they are all ace, but I like session drinks in the 3.5-4.5% range, by the pint, in a pub. The craft beer movement is just not something I could ever see interesting me.

My personal view is have all your 1/3 pint measures available and give these smaller breweries the pub exposure that can help be their lifeblood - that is fantastic - but I hope it doesn't overpower the traditional session beer by the pint in drinking establishments. The two can live side by side.

Back