• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Looks it's a had a few more comments since I posted. The one from the guy at Small Bar was the one I was referring to, but the one from Anon is rather amusing!

Currently enjoying an Abbott Ale in very wet Hinckley. The weather may be awful, but the beer is excellent.

Looks it's a had a few more comments since I posted. The one from the guy at Small Bar was the one I was referring to, but the one from Anon is rather amusing!
It reminds me of a blog last year when an Aussie female journo suggested that craft ale was un-Australian.

Crate - Sour. 3.5% sour pale ale brewed with passion fruit and hibiscus. So fucking good.

There's a new bar in the Jewelry Quarter call 1000 Trades. Looks decent. I hardly ever get out in Brum though.

My girlfriend mentioned that bar to me actually. She's not been but one of her work mates has, and he's a big ale fan. He said it was really good.

Seem to have a lot of local stuff from what I've seen on social media.

13590386_10157291577365647_7982090750530751676_n.jpg

Last night's BeerBods and BeerBodsPlus.

Both absolutely rocking! The Appleation was less apple-y and more saison-y than I remember. There's a definite apple flavour, but it comes as more of a tarte edge than an overriding flavour. Good spice and slight sourness. No sign of the 8.7% either. Brilliant beer.
Not had the Green Devil before, but it was really good. Oily, resinous mouthfeel, really coats the mouth and holds those flavours in. Pineapple, mango and lemon. Top quality IPA that may be overlooked in favour of the Cloudwaters and Brewdogs of the beer world - I know I've been guilty of it.

Off up to Stockport this weekend and will be popping over to the Cloudwater Brewery to pick up some bottles. They are releasing DIPA 4 & 5 which I wasn't going to bother with as it's a small experimental batch. Essentially 4 & 5 are the same beer but one is dry hopped during fermentation, and the other after fermentation has finished. They've done internal testing but will be asking for feedback from the buying public - the results of which will be used for DIPA 6, which will be a proper big release. I figured as I was in the area, it'd be rude not to. Hoping there are a couple of other new bottles to pick up too. Heard something about a red wine barrel aged stout.... hmmmmm.

At what point does using too many hops and malts ruin the flavour?

I have no clue and I don't really have the palette to distinguish between 2 in the same brew let alone 3 or 4.

At what point does using too many hops and malts ruin the flavour?

I have no clue and I don't really have the palette to distinguish between 2 in the same brew let alone 3 or 4.

Malt flavours usually range from (light to dark) cream cracker through to biscuity, bready, nutty, roasted, toasty and chocolate. The more malts, the more sugar is extracted, which ups the abv, body and sweetness.

The hops bring everything else to the party. Bitterness, citrus, tropical, floral etc. The more you add, the more of that flavour/bitterness you get in the beer.

How much is too much? Well, there's no limit really, as long as it remains balanced. The more malts/sugar you add needs to countered by more hops - which is why hoppy American IPAs tend to be around the 6% mark.

Brewdog - Electric India. Hoppy saison. Pretty generic but the style is right up my street and as ever Brewdog have produced a really clean, fresh tasting brew. Very nice.

I'll be ordering me some of that soon. Couldn't be arsed on the EFP.

I'll be ordering me some of that soon. Couldn't be arsed on the EFP.

It's nothing on the Epic Saison's or Tank 7's of this world but it's pleasant enough. I had to get a second!

Got a bottle of Columbus - Pale Ale for later. Looking forward to it.

Back