• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Didn't elephant make a comeback a few years ago? I'm sure I remember a mate of mine drinking some at a house party.

Just trying another bottle of the old beer I found in the loft the other day.

Carlsberg Elephant - Strong Imported Beer. 7.2% and a best before of Aug 1997!

Very nice drop. Doesn't taste as strong as it sounds.

No kidding? I actually just bought some Carlsberg today. Not Elephant, but I saw it and was intrigued. Hope it's good.

Depends which Carlsberg it is Alan. Regular is piss weak and tastes like urine. Export is stronger and much nicer.

Yeah. From the Christmas thread:

Just been looking in the loft for some Christmas stuff and came across a box of bottled beer in dark green bottles marked as "Ind Coope" that my dad must have got when he worked at the brewery over 20 years ago.

It's called "Celebration Special Brew" and is 5.0%. Just cracked one open and whilst it doesn't have much fizz left (due to it being bottled), it still tastes quite nice! Certainly pretty good for 20 year old beer.

The best before end on the label? - September 1993 :)

Merry Hic-mas!!
There was that one, the Elephant, and also a special Christmas Beer which is about 4% but I haven't tried that yet. I'm not a big drinker so one bottle is enough for tonight.

Yeah, apparently Bathams is a 'wet' brewery, which means the workers are allowed to drink the stock. Not necessarily just for quality control, but that's obviously a very important part of the process. And that's a job I want!

Thats the job any man wants.

Depends which Carlsberg it is Alan. Regular is piss weak and tastes like urine. Export is stronger and much nicer.

Uhm, not sure. It was expensive and it's imported. I'm assuming that what I've got is the "export" and what you're referring to as "regular" is what is sold as Heineken over here?

Either way, I'm gonna crack a bottle of it soon, so I'll report back with my findings.

Heineken is a different brewery. They are Dutch whereas Carlsberg are Danish.

Both get brewed in the UK for the UK market but I'm not sure who does Heineken. We certainly never used to do it where I worked (Carlsberg-Tetley, then Bass, then Coors).

I enjoy most ales but I have to say that I think Bathams is vastly overated. Give me a Holdens Golden Glow any day of the week.

Hm. I think Carlsberg either bottles or at least distributes Heineken in the states. That's where I got the connection from.

Beyond that, all I know is that Carlsberg ain't easy to find over here.

I'll go with your knowledge of what gets produced over in the states.

I did read that all the Heineken around the world comes from Holland, apart from the UK who brew their own. How up to date or true this info is I don't know.

I dunno, distributors over here can be sneaky or they just don't know themselves. As I've just become legal drinking age (darn you Brits and your ability to drink before you turn 21), I'm kind of sifting through murky waters. For example, some distributors over here will try to tell you that Newcastle Ale comes from Edinburgh. Maybe I'm naive, but surely that isn't right.

Last edited:
Oooh, Alan's quite the youngin! Have we spoken in another thread about your location? Spill the beans!

I'm just a state to the south of you (if you count DC as part of Virginia).

You're as close as I could hope but still quite far off; actually in NoVA, not DC. I suppose it doesn't matter since no games get broadcast for a Wolves bar crawl anyhow! My only futbol friends here are... gulp... ManU and Barca fans.

Basically my position as well. Transfer students from overseas have added a bit of variety (had a Wacker Innsbruck supporter at the school last year), but it's tough to find out-of-the-norm supporters around here.

Just cracked a Carlsberg. It's a bit odd. Gorgeous to look at, though, and certainly not bad tasting. Not convinced it's worth the import price yet, but maybe it'll grow on me. I'd certainly buy it at $1.50 per bottle.

Carlsberg brewed in the UK is piss water but the proper stuff brewed in Denmark is a decent drop. If it's the export stuff than that's as good as a beer as any of the stuff I sampled in the states. I did find 'black sheep' in the Jekyl and Hyde in New York once which is brewed in Derby and tasted excellent.

If you go Danish imported I would go with the Tuborg which is better than the Carlsberg IMO.

Carlsberg is gross. But who am I kidding, I was drinking Yuengling Lite last night.

Back