• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Marston's isn't what it used to be.

:clap:

You're right though.

Anyway, guaranteed mega ale session today:

The Great Western pre-match

The game to sober up, then back to Stourbridge, then:

The Royal Exchange
The Duke William
The Plough and Harrow

Marvellous.

Deuchars is dish water, nearly as rank as Green King IPA.

I caught the headline on one of the free papers this week, something about Holdens buying up a load of pubs?

Will be very happy with that...

Yes - I read that in the Stourbridge Chronicle - it's good news as long as they keep the quality of the beer!!

And nowt wrong with Deuchars - always enjoyed that. Bad Wetherspoons pubs tend to spoil it though.

I can't stand Deuchars. Really disagreeable flavour that gets right up my nose.

Nothing wrong with Greene King IPA either when it's kept properly.

I have been sampling a few IPAs in New Hampshire and Pennsylvania this week. The US really have some excellent microbreweries now - all of them were cracking hoppy beers. One that stood out was Smuttynose, which I had in Manchester, NH.

I didn't make it to BrewDog, I'll have to try another time. Suffering today.

Haven't tried much of the American stuff, only the Sierra Nevada IPA's...they like their hops over there!

Marston's isn't what it used to be.

Very much depends on where you drink it, crucified through a sparkler it is shit, no sparkler and attention good. Excellent straight from the cask e.g. Hollybush, Makeney (nr. Derby).
Delicately flavoured beers such as Pedigree and London Pride should never see a swan neck and sparkler.

Haven't tried much of the American stuff, only the Sierra Nevada IPA's...they like their hops over there!

There have been some decent micros over there for maybe three decades. I spent a lot of time at the Newport Beech brewing company bar when working nearby in the 90s. There was also a bar near by that did a stupid number of beers called DP's.
I've been able to find decent beer in the US widespead even if a premium worth paying is involved.

A good pint of Pedigree is a thing of beauty. Slightly fruity tang to it.

Nothing wrong with Greene King IPA either when it's kept properly.

I have been sampling a few IPAs in New Hampshire and Pennsylvania this week. The US really have some excellent microbreweries now - all of them were cracking hoppy beers. One that stood out was Smuttynose, which I had in Manchester, NH.

Dr Doog, not sure if you are still in PA, but try and sample 'Station 33 Firehouse Red' if you are :licklips:

Currently drinking a Founders Breakfast Stout. Double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout.

Look what the Postie dropped off today...

8180354106_b983e25dae.jpg

Complete with handy re-capping thingy, should be interesting!

Has anyone tried the very long standing, but fairly hard to get hold of Guinness Export?
Tiny little bottle. Red signature. not to be confused with the original (ordinary) bottles.

2 of them in a pint glass with a bit left over to top up with after a game or whilst cooking.

Lovely deep flavour, slightly sweet, good long finish and dangerously moorish!

7.4% though, so get most of the cooking done before you have your 3rd glass...

Has anyone tried the very long standing, but fairly hard to get hold of Guinness Export?
Tiny little bottle. Red signature. not to be confused with the original (ordinary) bottles.

2 of them in a pint glass with a bit left over to top up with after a game or whilst cooking.

Lovely deep flavour, slightly sweet, good long finish and dangerously moorish!

7.4% though, so get most of the cooking done before you have your 3rd glass...

Yep, it is often locally brewed in under licence in none EU countries. I sampled mine in a Kenyan hotel that had the Duke of Edinburgh as a fellow guest. Glimpsed him fully dressed; before I get put on the FF thread.

Last edited:
Yep, it is often locally brewed in under licence in none EU countries. I sampled mine in a Kenyan hotel that had the Duke of Edinburgh as a fellow guest. Glimpsed him fully dressed; before I get put on the FF thread.

Well, I was drinking mine off Kelly Brook's heaving breasts until I realised that I had something better to do and rushed off to MI6 to check on a secret dossier before deciding not to bother. Still that beer was delicious.

Back