• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

7973974444_7be54db6b6.jpg

That's a pretty accurate representation of the contents of Paddy's bowels after his visit to the Kismot.

I am currently enjoying a glass of Moorhouse's blond witch. A quite magnificent brew.

I note Tesco Ireland are starting to cop on.

They've expanded their range of real ales by a million %.

And it's ongoing, they're doing a long running promotion of any selected beers - 5 for €10.
Some of them are priced at 2.99 a bottle so 5 for a tenner is pretty good.

They've just added one of Langers favourites - Tribute from Cornwall somewhere.
I had that on holiday and brought home a glass with logo on it to prove it too.

That awful twat Marco Pierre White (That's Peter Mark White you pretentious cock) has put a beer out called 'Governor', not bad at all!

Has the real ale range been available in the UK in Tesco for a while or is it new over there too?

Tribute is my favourite Cornish ale, but that's not exactly a glowing accolade as Cornish beer is essentially crap.

I think the Tesco range just depends on the individual store - sadly, the small Tesco Express near my house is shite for ales but the big Tesco in Dudley is much better.

I was bought a load of Devon/Cornish ales for my 30th last year. Mainly from micro-breweries, but I have to say that most of them were lovely.

Devonian beers aren't so bad, but even so - they're also too much on the malty side for my palette.

Then you have the likes of Doom Bar which is one of the blandest pints you'll ever have.

I think there's an upsurge in golden, pale and hoppy beers coming from that region. Bays Brewery Devon Dumpling is really light, tasty & moorish.

I agree with you on Doom Bar, it's very trendy which is always a bad sign.

Yes - I like Bays. When we go to Cornwall (as we have for the past 3 years) we stop at a pub called the Double Locks near Exeter for lunch. There's normally a good range of Devonian ales on and they had a few Bays brews on this year.

Is Bays from Devon or Cornwall? Not quite sure what side of the border it's on!

It's in Devon. Paignton, Torbay to be exact. Part of the English Riviera and home town of my good lady.

The local pub is serving Ruddles County at the moment :D:D

(Which is great considering the uni bar is over-priced and sh*te.)

Abbot Ale - now there's a beer I can't stand. An unpleasant mixture of blandness and bitterness.

I don't mind Abbot, but it's actually quite hard to find a decent pint of it. A place near me does it well.

It's not a favourite by any means though.

Went to an awful hotel-cum-pub in Wareham on Sunday and the only thing they had on tap was Whitbread Best, which I didn't know even still existed, then they had a few supermarket-bought bottles in a fridge behind "the bar".

I opted for the Abbot as the best of a very bad bunch. I think the fact that it was lager-cold didn't help.

And people wonder why pubs are closing.

Yuck - lager cold ale is revolting.

I agree about Abbott, whereas the IPA is a really nice drink, and the mild isn't bad either. When I was a lad Greene King had a reputation that it didn't travel. I'm sure beer keeps better these days, but I don't know whether that still applies to GK as I don't tend to drink beer from my local brewery when I'm away.

I'll be in the leccy Club about 6:30 shifting a drop of glow, hmm, hmmmm!

Abbott Ale in the Black Country simply won't taste as nice as Abbott Ale in Suffolk - as you say, it doesn't travel all that well and Greene King is notoriously over-produced as it has a wide distribution these days - the brewery expanded not so long ago. CAMRA certainly don't like them very much.

The best pint of Abbott I had was sat by the banks of the river Deben about 10 years ago. They ran out of Adnams Regatta (which is magnificent) so I settled for Abbott. It was very nice.

The local pub is serving Ruddles County at the moment :D:D

(Which is great considering the uni bar is over-priced and sh*te.)

The regularity and pungency of post-Ruddles farts still lives vividly in my memory some 25 years after it being the main beer of choice in the student union.

Ruddles hasn't been Ruddles for over 20 years. Beer ported to other breweries is invariably shit.

Back