• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

My latest creation, a 7.7% Belgian brew with a hint of cinnamon (hopefully)...

7973974444_7be54db6b6.jpg

My latest creation, a 7.7% Belgian brew with a hint of cinnamon (hopefully)...

7973974444_7be54db6b6.jpg

That looks, and sounds, lethal! Would be lovely at Christmas time I reckon.

That looks, and sounds, lethal! Would be lovely at Christmas time I reckon.

Cheers, last time I brewed this I ended up with 9% behemoth after my pump packed up leaving me with a few less litres. Was very tasty though, not too different from Special Brew!

I have plans for a Christmas brew loosely following my Hobnoblin recipe (Hobgoblin clone but with extra chocolate malt), it will have a few extra spices thrown in for good measure hence my experiment with the cinnamon.

Chin chin!

Being a free man for one night only, I popped into the Lych Gate Tavern in Wolves yesterday evening. Claiming to be the oldest building in town, Black Country Ales have spent hundreds of thousands of pounds converting it from empty offices back into the pub it once was from c.1550. The result is superb. Very sympathetic decor that is a perfect blend of old style exposed beams, wonky walls, uneven floors and low ceilings with the comfort, security and longevity of a newly plastered and painted walls, brand new bar and new furniture. It looks like a pub that has been there for hundreds of years, but doesn't feel like a creaky old building.
It appears quite small, but there are plenty of places to sit. The bar is quite small, but has plenty of choices of ales - up to 10 real ales and served on a daily basis. It all makes for a cosy atmosphere - it will be a perfect little retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the impending Christmas shopping exploits in the coming months.

Last night I enjoyed a pint of:
Black Country Ales BFG - a lovely golden ale, with citrus notes and bitter taste. Very quaffable if not a touch sharp - 7.5/10
Three Tuns XXX - a pale ale with a lovely thick and creamy mouthfeel (fnarr) and full flavour. I could drink this one all night - 8.5/10
Costal Brewery Golden Hinde - at least I think that's what it was called. We were referring to it as a pint of Chrissy Hind. Another golden ale, with subtle citrus flavour. Quite sweet and bit too hoppy for my taste. 7/10

A couple of the non-ale enthusiasts around the table had a pint of Fun Fare Tea Cups, which was a Ginger Ale. Very subtle ginger flavour and not half as 'in your face' as the treacle-shite like Koppaberg or Crabbies - ice NOT required. It was more like an alcoholic ginger squash. As someone who doesn't like ginger beer, or sweet drinks, I thought this was actually a very nice and refreshing drop, although I couldn't drink more than about half a pint without feeling like my teeth were turning to jelly! 7/10

All in all a lovely little boozer that provides a welcome alternative to the Posada (which is going downhill, unfortunately) for the hardened ale drinkers and casual drinkers alike. Prices are pretty decent for a city-centre pub at about £2.75 a pint. A place like this is badly needed in Wolves and hopefully will start a trend back to nights in the city centre drinking responsibly for the enjoyment of the drink and the company of the people you are with.

Last edited:
Oh, and I forgot to mention that they sell cobs for 50p (bargain!!) and have a bring your own food policy - they'll even provide you with plates and cutlery. How brilliant is that!?

The Wellington in Birmingham do that too - such a good idea, I don't know why other pubs without food menus don't do it.

Thanks for the write up mate - BFG is a nice beer and if they have Three Tuns beers there, it bodes well for the selection they will have in future.

The Wellington is by far my favourite place in Brum (well, that and Eddies but you don't go there for the alcohol...)

Anyone going to the Birmingham Beer Festival on the 25th October? Sadly I can't make it but I'm interested to know how the "Tipple of Doom" tastes.

The Anchor in Digbeth is also excellent but it's not as good as The Wellington.

I would normally pop down to the beer festival but off to a gig that night. And probably stopping by the Wellington beforehand, ironically.

The only problem with The Wellington is that it's a bit smelly.

Really?
BO overtones, with a hint stale ale soaked carpet. On a busy evening especially.

It can be, TBF. If you're unlucky.

It wasn't noticeable before the smoking ban!

There's some cracking pubs in Digbeth. Used to frequent them a lot when the old Barfly used to have some decent gigs on. Only been back down that way once since it changed to the HMV Institute.

I went to Robinson's packaging plant today on the invitation of the head brewer. Without going into the detail of why that happened I can point out that Bathams use them for bottling.
You learn something everyday.

I actually did know that. They also use Holdens.

I actually did know that. They also use Holdens.

Makes sense. Fascinating how they switch brands and packaging so quickly, each is palletised to individual customer requirements.
My reasons for being there were however cask beer related.

Last edited:
Back