• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Had the Brewdog Albino Squid Assassin earlier. Loved it. Really well balanced but with a classic Brewdog piney hoppiness.

Finished on a Buxton Ace Edge. Not up there with Axe, but a great showcase for the Sorachi Ace hop. Lime, pineapple and an almost sour bitterness. You can see why it's the hop of choice for many a good saison.

There a place called The Hop Cellar in Newcastle-under-Lyme you may like Machin. They had Axe Edge on Keg along with Gamma Ray and another chocolate stout I didn't know. Bloody good to and if you wanted a pint you could've had one.

I had a bottle of Axe Edge and a Bad Co Comfortably Numb last night. 2 bloody great beers.

Comfortably Numb is good. I'm currently imbibing a Piston Broke by the Steam Brewery at the Moulin de Lecq. Excellent stuff. This was closely followed with a Moulin Wheel by Liberation. Very good also.

I looked at the Steam Brewery stuff too. Will have to try them out.

And when you eventually get into North Staffs we can get to try some of these beers Leeds.

Indeed Johnny. Either that or you head over to St Helier?

There a place called The Hop Cellar in Newcastle-under-Lyme you may like Machin. They had Axe Edge on Keg along with Gamma Ray and another chocolate stout I didn't know. Bloody good to and if you wanted a pint you could've had one.

I had a bottle of Axe Edge and a Bad Co Comfortably Numb last night. 2 bloody great beers.

Anywhere with Axe Edge on tap needs to be given National Trust status, IMO.

I'm not a huge fan of Wadworth, but I do like their Horizon. Some interesting marzipan flavours in there

Beer52 are running a limited special offer for their subscription service. 8 beers, magazine and snack for £19 a month instead of £24 for life. You can pause or skip a month and still only pay £19 a month when you resume. £2.38 a beer is pretty decent if you want that kind of volume of beer per month.

Orval. Superb.

Last time time I went in the Lych Gate a bottle of this was head and shoulders above anything else they were serving. Superb beer.

Yesterday I had a Frog Island Shoemaker and a Blindman Golden Spring at the Cellar Bar. Both in excellent condition, but sadly not to my taste.

Brewdog Ace of Simcoe - 4.5% session IPA. It's hard not to compare this to Neck Oil, and for me it wins. Pine on the nose with tropical fruits. A little oily (which isn't a bad thing) and the pine carries through, mainly with some citrus zest and hints of apple. Perfect bitterness at the end as well. This could easily be drunk all day long.

Got a bottle of this after you recommended it the other day. A classic Brewdog IPA really, clean subtle malts and a big bitter smack of hops (fuck, I love Simcoe!), what's not to like about this beer?

Might be too bitter to properly session on this though.

The Kernel - London 1856. 9.9% Imperial Brown Stout. Good grief. This is absolutely fucking incredible.

Got a bottle of this after you recommended it the other day. A classic Brewdog IPA really, clean subtle malts and a big bitter smack of hops (fuck, I love Simcoe!), what's not to like about this beer?

Might be too bitter to properly session on this though.

I've got to get another few bottles of that, it was the first in a very heavy BrewDog session where I ended up unintentionally arseholed, but I remember loving it. The Albino Squid Assassin was decent too.

BrewDog have got a few interesting guest beers in the store, the City of the Sun Modern Times and Almanac - Saison de Brettaville sound really good. Time to put another order in I think.

Anyone know of any decent pubs in Burnley?

Cloudwater, Seville Orange Sour - not normally a sour fan, but this one is ace. Super refreshing. Almost like an alcoholic orange squash.
Parizan, Porter - dark fruits, loads of coffee, toffee and chocolate. An almost brandy sort of flavour to it, which is amazing considering it's only 5.1% abv and isn't barrel aged. WOuld definitely buy this again.
Buxton, Anglo-Belgique IPA - holy shit this is amazing. Perfect balance between Belgian funky spice and their world class American style IPA. It's up there with Axe Edge I think. Only had two sips though...

Back