• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

The Axe Edge is nearly a year old, so I'm guessing it won't be as vibrant as I'm used to.

Man I couldn't keep an Axe Edge that long, it doesn't last more than a couple of days.

I bought a case of 12 back in about May last year and this is the last one. Just had too many other beers to 'sample' :D
Got an Ace Edge on the shelf too, might have that tomorrow to compare.

Just having another Albino before moving on, enjoyed it a bit too much.

The High Wire Grapefruit is ALL grapefruit. Really juicy and sweet but with a lasting bitterness. Perhaps a bit unbalanced and too grapefruity, but I quite like it really. WOuld be ace on a hot sunny BBQ day. Keen to try the standard High Wire, now that they can it.

The High Wire Grapefruit is ALL grapefruit. Really juicy and sweet but with a lasting bitterness. Perhaps a bit unbalanced and too grapefruity, but I quite like it really. WOuld be ace on a hot sunny BBQ day. Keen to try the standard High Wire, now that they can it.

So grapefruity that it doesn't taste like beer any more. It's really impressive how they've actually managed to make a beer taste like that but why not just buy grapefruit juice and add a splash of vodka? You'd get the same result IMO.

Drinking an American classic, Brooklyn - Sorachi Ace. Glorious. In my top 10.

So grapefruity that it doesn't taste like beer any more. It's really impressive how they've actually managed to make a beer taste like that but why not just buy grapefruit juice and add a splash of vodka? You'd get the same result IMO.

I get what your saying, but it's more beer than say Beavertown Bramley Apple Saison or Wild Beer Sleeping Lemons. It was a grapefuity beer, more than a grapefruity drink. Just.

Just had the Axe Edge - bottled in July last year, so not as old as I thought. Still absolutely awesome! It had lost some of its sharpness and had gotten just a little bit sticky, but it still had bags of flavour, aroma and bitterness. I'm yet to have a better IPA.

Finishing the night with the BBNo Double IPA. Beautiful juicy mango, pineapple and citrus flavours. A touch thick and gloopy from the high abv, but really drinkable with a grounding and prominent alcohol heat. Not quite up there with Cloudwater DIPA v2 or Beavertown Double Chin but still a real gem of an IIPA.

I get what your saying, but it's more beer than say Beavertown Bramley Apple Saison or Wild Beer Sleeping Lemons. It was a grapefuity beer, more than a grapefruity drink. Just.

Funny how differently people see things. My review of Applelation from a month or two ago:

Beavertown - Applelation. 8.7% Bramley Apple Saison. I was worried that this would be too sharp & cidery but it's fantastic. 100% a beer, everything I love about a classic saison with a hint of tart, refreshing apple on the back end. Dangerous at 8.7, so drinkable. I could chug this.

I must admit I'm basing most of this on Ballast Point - Grapefruit Sculpin. I hated that so shied away from the Magic Rock version. A friend gave me a sip of Grapefruit Highwire and it reminded me of the Sculpin so I kind of lumped them in together.

I had a 'couple' of beer flavoured ales this evening. Sorry to disappoint.

I know. I can be so impetuous at times that I even surprise myself.

Funny how differently people see things. My review of Applelation from a month or two ago:

I must admit I'm basing most of this on Ballast Point - Grapefruit Sculpin. I hated that so shied away from the Magic Rock version. A friend gave me a sip of Grapefruit Highwire and it reminded me of the Sculpin so I kind of lumped them in together.

I think that with grapefruit being a naturally occurring flavour in a lot of west coast IPAs, it lends itself to being more of a 'beer' flavour than sour apple. Not that I didn't like the Appleation, just I preferred the High Wire Grapefruit.

Managed to pack away an Arcade Nation, Jack Hammer, Hardcore IPA, another Albino Squid and a 5am Saint last night and now I have the mother of all headaches.

Had a pint of Mallinsons CM Gyle 900 last night. Wasn't very good at all.

Visiting Slaters for the first time tonight. Hoping for some something better.

Their selection on Tuesday was awesome, and that was just the keg offerings. Didn't even look at the cask really, although I think Stan had a Thornbridge Citra something or other on cask.

Just tucking into a Last Supper from Naylor's. Light and fruity. Followed up with a Can Can (Grafton Brewery's).

They've got Brewdog Jet Black Heart on apparently.

Had the Brewdog Albino Squid Assassin earlier. Loved it. Really well balanced but with a classic Brewdog piney hoppiness.

Finished on a Buxton Ace Edge. Not up there with Axe, but a great showcase for the Sorachi Ace hop. Lime, pineapple and an almost sour bitterness. You can see why it's the hop of choice for many a good saison.

Paid a quick visit to Slaters tonight. Fairly busy so had to sit upstairs. Only gripe was that sitting upstairs unless you'd taken a photo of the beer list, it meant a trip downstairs for each of your party to decide what to have for your second beer. Could do with the list display upstairs aswell.

Back