• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Sharp's Wolf Rock - 4.8% Red IPA. Very disappointed, doesn't get anywhere near the description on the bottle. Quite a dull, flat bitterness to it with no sign of the vibrant fruits and hoppiness they claim. More reminiscent of a brown ale than a red IPA, passable as a session ale but nothing more.

5am is probably my fav of their core range, shortly followed by Dead Pony. Stupidly hoppy for a 3.8%

Popped into Slater's after the match. Suitably impressed with it, although there was a prevalent contingent of matchday fans bemoaning not having any lager available in pints!

Had a Cloudwater Black IPA which was beautiful. Really smokey toasted malt base with a sharp citrus hop bitterness. Sublimely balanced. Excellent. Love having that calibre of beer available in tap in Wolves finally! After that it was a Left Hand Giant APA which was also bang one. Golden citrus and tropical hop notes. Clean as fuck.

Also had a Red Rye Ale in the Dog. Fire House or something, I forget, but it was very nice.

Sainsbury's Tap Room - 6.3% IPA. Took a punt on this one and again it's one for the 'no ta' pile. It's a decent enough beer in its own right I suppose but it's certainly not my idea of an IPA. Way too malty and sickly/sweet with no prevalent hops.

5am is probably my fav of their core range, shortly followed by Dead Pony.

I'll have to have a butcher's for some Dead Pony, the 5am certainly won me over. I'll be trying the Punk IPA shortly, see how that goes down.

Dead pony club is a lovely drop. Shame that they don't do it in larger bottles generally, it'd be just right for a pint at 3.8%

Goose Island Goose - 6.3% IPA. Better than the previous two offerings but still not a Grade A beer. More malty than hoppy and reminds me a lot of Leffe Blonde.

Sainsbury's Tap Room - 6.3% IPA. Took a punt on this one and again it's one for the 'no ta' pile. It's a decent enough beer in its own right I suppose but it's certainly not my idea of an IPA. Way too malty and sickly/sweet with no prevalent hops.

I was equally unimpressed with that one. Best beer available in Sainsbury's, IMO, is Harbour IPA. £2 for a 500ml. Citrus, zesty and bitter as you like. Really nice drop.

GBBH-2.jpg

They didn't have any of that in Will, I'll keep an eye out for it though.

Brewdog Punk - 5.6% IPA. That's better. Prevalent hops, grassy and just a subtle note of citrus. Very happy with my first foray into Brewdog ales.

The Kernel SCANS - 6.8% IPA. Glad I kept this one back from last week, a proper grassy, citrus infused punch of hoppy goodness. Easily one of my favourite IPAs now.

5am is probably my fav of their core range, shortly followed by Dead Pony. Stupidly hoppy for a 3.8%

Popped into Slater's after the match. Suitably impressed with it, although there was a prevalent contingent of matchday fans bemoaning not having any lager available in pints!

Had a Cloudwater Black IPA which was beautiful. Really smokey toasted malt base with a sharp citrus hop bitterness. Sublimely balanced. Excellent. Love having that calibre of beer available in tap in Wolves finally! After that it was a Left Hand Giant APA which was also bang one. Golden citrus and tropical hop notes. Clean as fuck.

I was on the left handed giant last night. Nice

Holy shit. Beavertown, Spresso - an imperial espresso stout. 9.5% as thick as tar and is boiled, fermented and conditioned with Guatemalan coffee beans.

Out of this world.

Pours beautifully. Superb condition. Dense and enveloping aroma. Gloopy thick and full bodied. Taste is all coffee and dark, dark chocolate. Good bitterness and not a trace of the 9.5% apart from a slow building warmth. Possibly the best beer I've ever had. Easily the best stout.

Finishing up on a Cloudwater NZ Hopfen Weisse - 6.5% Wheat Beer. Huge citrus notes compliment the hops and malt perfectly, quite sour after a few IPAs. Will, get some more down yer neck.

Finishing up on a Cloudwater NZ Hopfen Weisse - 6.5% Wheat Beer. Huge citrus notes compliment the hops and malt perfectly, quite sour after a few IPAs. Will, get some more down yer neck.

Nah, I'm done with wheat beer for now. Got too many IPAs and red ales to drink :D

Holy shit. Beavertown, Spresso - an imperial espresso stout. 9.5% as thick as tar and is boiled, fermented and conditioned with Guatemalan coffee beans.

Out of this world.

Pours beautifully. Superb condition. Dense and enveloping aroma. Gloopy thick and full bodied. Taste is all coffee and dark, dark chocolate. Good bitterness and not a trace of the 9.5% apart from a slow building warmth. Possibly the best beer I've ever had. Easily the best stout.

Great reactions...

In all seriousness, need to get my hands on some of this if it's that good. That guy was saying it's better than Founders breakfast stout which is just unreal and maybe the best beer Beavertown have ever made.

Where do you guys buy your craft beers from ? I've seen Brewdog in the major supermarkets but not much else that hasn't been around for the past 20 years or so. Mind you I haven't been to England for 9 months or so.

There's a off license down the road from me in Compton called The Wine Seller. It has an awesome selection of craft beer all over the UK, America and Europe. He'll get stuff in on request too.
In Brum, there's Cotteridge Wines and Stirchley Wines at opposite ends of the Pershore Road. Cotteridge being the better of the two.
Aside from that, it's the usual online outlets. Brewdog's online prices are decent. Then there's beermerchants, alesbymail, beergonzo, eebria and honestbrew. Delivery charges can be a pain though.

Great reactions...

In all seriousness, need to get my hands on some of this if it's that good. That guy was saying it's better than Founders breakfast stout which is just unreal and maybe the best beer Beavertown have ever made.

Picking up a couple more tomorrow. Will bring one of them and a DIPA v2 for Bristol prematch mate. You'll fucking love it.

Picking up a couple more tomorrow. Will bring one of them and a DIPA v2 for Bristol prematch mate. You'll fucking love it.

Awesome! I'll stop by BottleDog in Edinburgh on the way back from the Boro game and pick up something for a bottle share.

Good man. I think Jack is involved too. Will be better than the match itself probably!

Back