• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

We've gone full circle I think.

I actually get more excited by a higher strength keg offering these days! I just know it's going to be packed full of flavour. But yeah, it's a shame that dispense method and price are at the forefront of many potential new customers' minds, seemingly. Damn you CAMRA!

Anyway - who's popping in there post-match on Saturday?

I actually get more excited by a higher strength keg offering these days! I just know it's going to be packed full of flavour. But yeah, it's a shame that dispense method and price are at the forefront of many potential new customers' minds, seemingly. Damn you CAMRA!

I'm all for craft ales - you've got me wrong there. If it tastes nice, that's the most important thing. But I find that if I just want a few pints, having anything that's 5.5% or above messes my head up! And paying that much for less than a pint is silly. IMO.

This place does interest me though - I might take the train up after work one of the evenings I don't have the kids next week and have a sample.

I'm all for craft ales - you've got me wrong there. If it tastes nice, that's the most important thing. But I find that if I just want a few pints, having anything that's 5.5% or above messes my head up! And paying that much for less than a pint is silly. IMO.

This place does interest me though - I might take the train up after work one of the evenings I don't have the kids next week and have a sample.

You see, I'm happily in the school of thought that drinking a 1/2 of 8% or 2/3 of 6.5% is no different to a pint of 4% and I don't really see that less liquid equals less product. So therefore I don't compare the prices as if they were two difference measures.

Unless it's from Marston's Revisionist range...

I'm with you though, volume doesn't come into the equation at all for me. I don't feel cheated paying the same or more for a schooner when I know that it's going to be top quality. If I was stood in front of those 19 beers I'd go for the Cloudwater Black IPA straight away, it's on a whole different level to anything else on either of those lists. I just wish they had more of a similar quality. They've obviously tried to hit a load of different styles on keg (lager, APA, IPA, Stout, Black IPA, Wheat, Kriek, Cider) I just feel they've fallen well short on a number of those styles.

Unless it's from Marston's Revisionist range...

I'm with you though, volume doesn't come into the equation at all for me. I don't feel cheated paying the same or more for a schooner when I know that it's going to be top quality. If I was stood in front of those 19 beers I'd go for the Cloudwater Black IPA straight away, it's on a whole different level to anything else on either of those lists. I just wish they had more of a similar quality. They've obviously tried to hit a load of different styles on keg (lager, APA, IPA, Stout, Black IPA, Wheat, Kriek, Cider) I just feel they've fallen well short on a number of those styles.

Yeah, it seems a bit scatter-gun. Perhaps that's intentional to see what goes down well. There is a bottle selection list too, apparently. But yeah, feeling underwhelmed by the choices on offer from the craft side of things.

I've been emailed a £10 off Honest Brew offer. It automatically applies the code when I click the link but I think the code is 10treat.

Is that £10 off their subscription thang?

Tonight's BeerBods is Big Hug, Himalayan Red Rye Ale - https://beerbods.co.uk/this-weeks-beer/big-hug-brewing-himalayan-red-rye-ale/

Six different malts including two different rye malts. I do love a red ale and this one has Mosiac, Columbus and Chinook hops. Yes fucking please!

I had their Slow Loris session IPA at CBR Glasgow. Really nice from what I remember of it.

Yeah, it seems a bit scatter-gun. Perhaps that's intentional to see what goes down well. There is a bottle selection list too, apparently. But yeah, feeling underwhelmed by the choices on offer from the craft side of things.

They surely could've sourced a better lager than Williams at least. Freedom are just down the road, their Pilsner is ace. If you're going to reach as far as Scotland why not go for a genuinely quality lager like St. Mungo's or get a few kegs of Camden - Hells or Forepure - Pils. Wouldn't have cost much more surely.

I would have gone for Purity, Lawless lager. It's ace and always reasonbably priced.

Had the Weird Beard Mac Spreadsheet Ninja Pilsner last night. Ridiculous name but it was sensational. Probably the best bottle I've had out of all my Christmas collections.

Do you like dark beers?

A safe bet would be the Left Handed Giant, American Pale; Slater's, Green Hop; Rye IPA & Haka would be on my list. If you like dark beers, the Cloudwater & Slater's Black IPAs would be worth a try, especially the Cloudwater (that would be the first one I would go for personally). I'd be tempted by the Marston ElDorado, but that would be bottom of my list behind the others I've mentioned.

Hope you like it mate - report back!

I like my craft lagers normally so Brooklyn punk lawless etc

I didn't go tonight as it didn't open til seven and j had a cat to sort (rock n roll) so going at 501 tomorrow!!

Tonight's Beer Bods is an absolute winner

Absolutely was. One of the best red ipas I've had. Superbly balanced between sweet, tropical, citrus, bitter spicey and dank.

Followed it up with a Beavertown Double Chin Double Neck Oil which is an absolute monster of a beer. Basically a big boozy thick sticky version of Neck Oil.

Arbor - Megs Bomb

Oh yes. Simcoe, Mosaic, Equinox and Galaxy hopped nectar.

Superb.

Back