• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

It's conditioned in the key-keg isn't it?

Back on topic. On Wednesday I had a rather good Scrooge by Elland Brewery and Otter Claus from the Otter Brewery.

Why? You might have picked up on that I am quite passionate about preserving traditional methods. I prefer my beer taste to be influenced by natural processes (CO2) against artificial (N2) tinkering. I apologise if this doesn't conform to the modern broader horizon approach.

I dunno, it's like watching Hollyoaks on VHS instead of Fargo on BluRay because you prefer analog over digital...

Last one of the night; Cloudwater IPA. Perfection as usual.

For me, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Some of the American style high abv hopped up IPAs need to be served colder with more fizz otherwise they taste overly sweet and cloying. Fizzy and cold, they're out of this world. What's a brewer to do?

Don't, for a minute, take this as trying to undervalue or demean the virtues of traditional cask ale. I'm as big a fan as anyone and have been for years. It's a proud tradition that's the envy of the beer drinking world and I love CAMRA for what they have done to revive the art.

Last one of the night; Cloudwater IPA. Perfection as usual.

Some top quality brews there Boozad. Just finished on the Howling Hops, Rye Wit. Seek it out if you can. Top notch.

I dunno, it's like watching Hollyoaks on VHS instead of Fargo on BluRay because you prefer analog over digital...
That's a rubbish analogy. Cold and fizzy beer was developed for either specific climatic environments and because the mass producers told us that was the way in which beer should be served. The drinking environnent and culture has also radicaly changed in the last 30 years.

Ironically I read an article where an Aussie journo was lamenting the rise of craft beers in Oz because craft beer wasn't Australian. She obviously prefers cold, fizzy, pasteurised piss.

There's a place/style for cold and fizzy beer now. Big hoppy American IPAs. Not Worthington Cream Flow, etc.

I think I read that article. In the Guardian? She came across as very bitter (forgive the pun). Crazy really as the craft beer scene in NZ is flying.

I'm quite sure that there is a place for it Machin. Not in my glass though. I can tolerate it and given the choice would always choose it over the truly dreadful "smoothflow" options. Strangely enough a lot of my peers opt for J Smith than leeds brewery products in my local. However I can't make myself like it in the same way as I don't like stouts or porters.

First beer of the night; Wild Beer Epic Saison. Such a stunning beer.

Cloudwater - AUS Hopfen Weisse. Really fucking good. Got another one in the fridge once I've finished this and then 2 more Cloudwater - Winter Wheat. I love these guys.

Starting my night with a Wiper & True Coriolis. Session strength APA. Absolutely spot on.

Having a bit of a cheese and beer night tonight so will be busting out some big beers later.

Cloudwater - AUS Hopfen Weisse. Really fucking good. Got another one in the fridge once I've finished this and then 2 more Cloudwater - Winter Wheat. I love these guys.

Amazing beer ain't it? The Winter Wheat is even better, I've got one in the fridge for later.

Onto a Weird Beard Fade to Black black IPA. Very interesting, hoppy as you like with roasted malt in your face. Very porterish.

Weird Beard Safe Word chokeberry IPA. Dry, refreshing, fruity and hoppy. Will you'd love this one mate.

Amazing beer ain't it? The Winter Wheat is even better, I've got one in the fridge for later.

Onto a Weird Beard Fade to Black black IPA. Very interesting, hoppy as you like with roasted malt in your face. Very porterish.

I was literally just about to say, just cracked a Winter Wheat open and I much prefer it to the Hopfen Weisse. I find wheat/IPA hybrids to be a bit muddled at times, this one is much more rounded and lets the malt sing through.

Onto a Pressure Drop Bosko IPA, subtle caramel tones that balance out the hops perfectly. Another great IPA.

Back