• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

It has to be the aquire option. I cannot abide porters or stouts. Never have and never will despite forty odd years of futile attempts.

Still not received my Beer 52 stuff from the Groupon deal, nor the BEERGIFT promo I stuck up on here. Getting a bit pissed off now. And they've charged me £5 for two beers when their website said they would be free. Bastards.

That's pretty annoying. Worth asking for your money back?

Just had an email saying my Beer52 box has been shipped and should be here in a couple of days.

Modern Times - Fortunate Islands. A perfect hybrid of full bodied wheat beer and West Coast session IPA. Only the second beer I've had from this brewery but fook me are these guys good.

Now on a pint of Earl Grey from the Allanwater brewpub. Steeped with earl grey at every stage of the brewing process and liberally hopped with amarillo. Gorgeous.

"A packet of salt and vinegar and a pint of Thames Roadkill, please mate – you sure? OK, bit of a well kept secret, I suppose. Got any Headburst? Flayed Cat? Growling Arse? No? OK, what’ve you got that’s super-local – tons of flavour mind, no more than 8% though, I’m driving, famous last words.

Camberwell Gobfest? I hope you’re having a laugh, my friend, no, I’m not saying it’s a badly made beer, just that weird sweetish almost jelly bean aftertaste, and the texture – a kind of underlying severe hardness underneath the syrupyness. Make it a half then. You know it’s not really a craft beer, not now it’s in Tesco, they’re not even a proper microbrewery any more, no, I’m not going all Camra on you, well how are you defining micro? Call me a purist, but anything with consistent quality control immediately loses the right to craft beer status, takes all the fun out of it.

OK, go on then, another half, quite a hefty nose on it, though, I’m still getting that weird foretaste, what did I say before? Jelly bean? It’s more a butterscotch hit now, no wait, mango? Mmm, complex, solid aftertaste, not bad, you need to drink at least a pint and a half, let the palate adjust, am I right? What’s that one over there – Dented Skull – kudos, wasn’t it highly commended in the 2013 Penge Ale festival? Wow, amazing. I’m getting kiwi fruit then fresh Snickers – lovely chewy mouthfeel, is it meant to have bits in it?

Anything stronger? What’s that, Hackney Devil’s Cobblers, great label, what is it, stout? I’m more of a porter guy but go for it – what, you think stout and porter are the same? Just come over here and say that, mate, and I’ll shove your stout where the sun don’t shine, hipster bollocks, the chocolate malt gives stout a mocha flavour you’ll never get in a porter. No need to get aggressive, I’m going, if this was a proper craft place you’d appreciate a bit of banter. I’m off to Wetherspoons."

Spent last night drinking Sharp's Wolf Rock Red Ipa. A nice beer.

Enjoying a bottle of Dead Pony Club after a productive day writing :)

Spent last night drinking Sharp's Wolf Rock Red Ipa. A nice beer.

Ah, nice one. I always see that in Sainsbury's, but never drawn enough to buy one. May give it a go on your recommendation.

Ah, nice one. I always see that in Sainsbury's, but never drawn enough to buy one. May give it a go on your recommendation.
Wasn't going to have it until the guy serving recommended it. Finished off with a Mirrors 4.5% - Thornbridge Brewery which was quite nice also.

Got the 12 beerbods of Christmas box........not touched a bottle yet due to being fookin ill and spending most of the last week in bed. Hoping to play catch up soon....or Christmas Eve is going to be very messy!!!

Got the 12 beerbods of Christmas box........not touched a bottle yet due to being fookin ill and spending most of the last week in bed. Hoping to play catch up soon....or Christmas Eve is going to be very messy!!!

First one was no good, but last night's Black Jesus was ace - have it with chocolate.

Tonight's is Roosters Baby Faced Assassin.

roosters-baby.jpg

Meant to be quite fabled and hard to get a few years ago. Easier come by now it's canned and distributed more widely.

Anyway, 6.1% classic American style IPA. Sounds like my kinda bag.

First one was no good, but last night's Black Jesus was ace - have it with chocolate.

Tonight's is Roosters Baby Faced Assassin.

roosters-baby.jpg

Meant to be quite fabled and hard to get a few years ago. Easier come by now it's canned and distributed more widely.

Anyway, 6.1% classic American style IPA. Sounds like my kinda bag.

This was a winner. Could be a new favourite.

Back